What's new

Your worst spite

Matt N

CF Legend
Ice breaker has those comfort collars, and really good air time on the last 2 phases of the launch, not a great mix, it feels like your shoulders are being launched into solid steel bars. (I presume this is a tall person problem?)

The other coaster was one I was really looking forward to too, Mine Blower sadly, it was going so well, drop and inversion were incredible, then it just got way too rough, I'm talking hurting your internal organs rough... Only 1 other coaster has ever given me that kind of internal pain and it was one I have always loved, Grand National. I'm sure I just caught it on a bad day, maybe train or track needs some work, but as it was on one train, there was no way I was riding it again.
No need to apologise, ask away, I'm too lazy to do a trip report for the entire trip... So happy to answer questions and share opinions. Even if they're not asked for...

Which brings me onto this slightly off topic point for you personally... Go and ride Shambhala!!! Now, do not wait, just go! All of us have now done Shammy, Silverstar and Mako, and despite Kyle saying Mako is the best coaster in Florida, everyone agreed, even him, that it was not as good as Shambhala! It's a great coaster, don't get me wrong, it really is, but it's more like Silver Star, with a boring turnaround, lower height, less sustained airtime, and buzz kill heavy hitting trim brakes. Also the staggered seating on Shambhala, with the space and exposed feeling of freedom it provides, along with those insane views down the hill adding to the height factor, just make Shambhala so much better. (Just get yourself a fast pass, as the ops can be shocking!) Mako is better than Silver Star IMO, but it's closer to SS than Shambhala.
Ah, that’s a shame; I haven’t heard overly good things about the comfort collars, but it’s a shame that they inhibited your enjoyment of IB so much.

Sorry to hear Mine Blower was so rough as well… interestingly, I don’t remember it being overly rough at all in 2019 (and I should add that I have a low tolerance); slightly rattly and unrefined, perhaps, and that did detract a tad for me, but not overly rough. However, I should add that the ride was less than 2 years old when I rode, and I also rode only once, at the front (as I heard it was the smoothest row) of an empty train. People who rode it at a similar time to me and said it was perfectly fine are now saying that it’s hideously rough, so it sounds as though it’s deteriorated a fair bit in the 3.5 years since I last rode it. It makes me a bit nervous to ever reride it, if I’m being honest…

As for Mako vs Shambhala; believe me, Nicky, Shambhala has been high on my bucket list for years! In fact, it very nearly spurred me to visit PA instead of Europa in April 2022; I’m glad I didn’t, in hindsight, because I absolutely adored Europa and Silver Star was still spectacular, but it was definitely a thought I had. Getting to PA in the short to medium term would be easier said than done, but it’s certainly a long term idea that I have in the pipeline for after my return to Florida next year! My desire to visit PA and ride Shambhala has grown a fair amount since riding Silver Star plenty of times and adoring it in April 2022, particularly given how most people agree that Shambhala is vastly superior to SS…

The Mako vs Shambhala comparison is an interesting one, as I’ve heard a number of different opinions. I’ve heard some who actually prefer Mako, some who say that they’re pretty level pegged but Shambhala pips it due to its additional height and speed, and some like yourself who are slightly more sceptical of Mako in comparison to Shambhala and compare it more to Silver Star. I’m not 100% sure what to expect, but I do have phenomenally high expectations for Shambhala…

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Ah, that’s a shame; I haven’t heard overly good things about the comfort collars, but it’s a shame that they inhibited your enjoyment of IB so much.

Sorry to hear Mine Blower was so rough as well… interestingly, I don’t remember it being overly rough at all in 2019 (and I should add that I have a low tolerance); slightly rattly and unrefined, perhaps, and that did detract a tad for me, but not overly rough. However, I should add that the ride was less than 2 years old when I rode, and I also rode only once, at the front (as I heard it was the smoothest row) of an empty train. People who rode it at a similar time to me and said it was perfectly fine are now saying that it’s hideously rough, so it sounds as though it’s deteriorated a fair bit in the 3.5 years since I last rode it. It makes me a bit nervous to ever reride it, if I’m being honest…

As for Mako vs Shambhala; believe me, Nicky, Shambhala has been high on my bucket list for years! In fact, it very nearly spurred me to visit PA instead of Europa in April 2022; I’m glad I didn’t, in hindsight, because I absolutely adored Europa and Silver Star was still spectacular, but it was definitely a thought I had. Getting to PA in the short to medium term would be easier said than done, but it’s certainly a long term idea that I have in the pipeline for after my return to Florida next year! My desire to visit PA and ride Shambhala has grown a fair amount since riding Silver Star plenty of times and adoring it in April 2022, particularly given how most people agree that Shambhala is vastly superior to SS…

The Mako vs Shambhala comparison is an interesting one, as I’ve heard a number of different opinions. I’ve heard some who actually prefer Mako, some who say that they’re pretty level pegged but Shambhala pips it due to its additional height and speed, and some like yourself who are slightly more sceptical of Mako in comparison to Shambhala and compare it more to Silver Star. I’m not 100% sure what to expect, but I do have phenomenally high expectations for Shambhala…
I think when you put Mako side by side with Shambhala and Silver Star, it has a lot more in common with Silver Star. Lower height, Awkward trims, simple turnaround, same seating layout…. The good news is, IMO at least, it’s definitely better than Silver Star. :)

I’ve often wondered if we caught SS at a bad time, but we rode it for three days in a row, and whilst it did get better, (if my memory serves me well) and the trims seemed to bite less later in the trip, it still paled in comparison to Shambhala (and now Mako too.)

I was really surprised that Kyle said it was the best coaster in Florida. Zadra is his number one, and Taron his number two, so naturally I expected him to prefer Gwazi and Veloci more. But he was certain, none of them come close to Zadra and Taron, and Mako was definitely his Floridian numero uno. :) I’ll have to see where he places Mako overall, I know he prefers Shambhala and Hyperion. But it could well be his overall number 5! He didn’t rate Untamed at all!

Matt N

CF Legend
I think when you put Mako side by side with Shambhala and Silver Star, it has a lot more in common with Silver Star. Lower height, Awkward trims, simple turnaround, same seating layout…. The good news is, IMO at least, it’s definitely better than Silver Star. :)

I’ve often wondered if we caught SS at a bad time, but we rode it for three days in a row, and whilst it did get better, (if my memory serves me well) and the trims seemed to bite less later in the trip, it still paled in comparison to Shambhala (and now Mako too.)

I was really surprised that Kyle said it was the best coaster in Florida. Zadra is his number one, and Taron his number two, so naturally I expected him to prefer Gwazi and Veloci more. But he was certain, none of them come close to Zadra and Taron, and Mako was definitely his Floridian numero uno. :) I’ll have to see where he places Mako overall, I know he prefers Shambhala and Hyperion. But it could well be his overall number 5! He didn’t rate Untamed at all!
To be honest, I don’t disagree that Mako has a lot more in common with Silver Star (from what I can tell, at least… I haven’t ridden Shambhala), and that they are pretty comparable B&M Hypers. I preferred Mako as well, but I was honestly surprised at how small the gap was between it and Silver Star.

That’s no slight against Mako, though… Silver Star was simply an awful lot better than I was expecting! I was going in expecting it to be pretty mediocre based on the reviews I’d heard, possibly even bordering on terrible… but it was absolutely phenomenal, and surprisingly, I actually rated it as my favourite coaster at Europa! It had phenomenal sustained floater airtime, the post-MCBR section had some surprisingly excellent ejector pops, it was fairly smooth for the most part, it had a phenomenal sense of speed (particularly in the front) and overall, I just found it a huge amount of fun! I don’t know if you’d agree, but Mako pipped it for me because I felt that SS, while mostly very smooth, lacked that gorgeous feeling of 100% glass smoothness that I really loved on Mako, and I also felt that Mako’s peak airtime strength was slightly stronger than anything on Silver Star.

It was really very close, though… Mako is my #1 and SS is my #2! Both rides are absolutely phenomenal, and comfortably my two favourite coasters, as well as my two favourite coasters over 200ft… among the 3 traditional hypers I’ve done, both B&M coasters rank immeasurably higher than The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, the only other traditional hyper I’ve done, for me (The Big One is my #62 out of 91), and among the 5 coasters I’ve done over 200ft, the B&M Hypers quite comfortably beat the other 3 (out of 91, SheiKra is my #8, Stealth is my #16, and The Big One is my #62).

On a more on-topic note… my most gutting spite still remains G Force at Drayton Manor. When I first visited the park in August 2018, it was closed, and then it got removed before I revisited in June 2022…

To keep this thread on topic, I might make a “Mako vs Silver Star” topic over in Polls…

Last edited:

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Tonnerre 2 Zeus, was closed all day today. Never rode the original either. Pretty disappointing but I find a main ride spite isn't too bad when it's at a decent park with lots else to do as was the case today with lovely Asterix.

Elsewhere last year I was spited by Flying Turns at Knoebels and Possessed at Dorney Park. Had a few things like boomerangs and spinning mice spite the last few years but nothing else too bad.

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
It was 2006 and i was making a USA west-coast trip in september of that year. Included were some visits to themeparks in the area.
Sadly X (SFMM) was closed already from sometime in august because of a blown gearbox part.

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
There was a day I went to Oakwood and all the coasters were closed except for Megafobia as it was extremely windy. I mean Megafobia was the one I wanted to do, but I still wanted to do everything else. It means I have to return to get the credit for Speed and the other smaller ones, and Oakwood isn't exactly a great park or easy to get to.

davidm

Strata Poster
It was 2006 and i was making a USA west-coast trip in september of that year. Included were some visits to themeparks in the area.
Sadly X (SFMM) was closed already from sometime in august because of a blown gearbox part.
I (from the UK) had to take 3 trips to SFMM to get X - the first time in 2002 it was new, but I went in that summer period not long after it opened when it was closed for 2 months to get mended (but the park was new to me so there was plenty of other things to distract me at the time), then I also went back in 2006 (like yourself, in November tho') when it was again broken for more maintenance. Meanwhile my non-goon mate from back home had been and "got the credit", which he delighted in winding me up about when ever he could. :)

I next went back in 2010 - and I got ****ing food poisoning the night before my visit, which was MOST unpleasant. But I got the credit, mostly just to spite my non-goon mate. ;)

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
So far I've been pretty lucky. Only coaster I've missed was Icebreaker. While it was a shame as Icebreaker was probably my second most anticipated coaster in the park, behind Mako of course, at the end of the day it's just a premier family coaster. Also missed Jurrasic Park River Adventure on the same trip which was also a ride I was looking forward to but still nothing too bad.

I've been spited by Millennium Coaster and Oddesey at Skegness 3 times because of wind. Once I decided against riding on a Friday as I was tired only to see it be down for the rest of week we stayed there. I'm going to try again this summer.

Projektion

Mega Poster
Another one to add to the spite list.

Viper @ SFMM - I had 2 days at SFMM. Viper was down for my first day but I didn't think anything of it as I thought I had remembered reading news that it was going to be down for the 2023 season. A couple of days later, to my surprise, I noticed on the app that it had reopened. I go back to SFMM a couple of days later expecting to get another new cred and... oop, closed again for the day. App showed it was open again the next day.

There were other rides I missed out on during my Cali + Vegas trip, but for the most part, they were ride I knew were going to be down going in to the trip so I wasn't too bummed out about missing them, like Xcelerator and Riddlers. Viper was the only one that really stung cause of the false hope I almost had it.