What's new

The Games we play...

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
1. No need to shout
2. Nintendo are doing more to innovate than any other games company out there, in their software as well as their hardware. Sure they re-use the same characters - but the doesnt make them unoriginal.

I'M NOT SHOUTING! :p

I'll agree that the Wii is slightly original but the whole motion sensor thing has be done before by radica. just not on the scale as the wii

But all the mario's played the same
all the zelda's play the same
all the metroid primes play the same (and the originals untill the conversion to 3-d)

Edit: And pokemon (which it seems alot people agree in since they like the RBY versions better)

Capcom are the same

mega man = the same

sega is ALSO similar with sonic.

but they get let off for rez :D

mrclam

Giga Poster
Erm.. no.. all the marios havent played the same.

Unlike something like halo which is essentially the same game 3 times over with better graphics.. Mario games have saught to innovate in one way or another. In fact most the games industry "learn" (or some might say copy) from Mario's innovations in one way or another (be it camera, learning curve, etc etc).

As for metroid, there's nothing else like it on the market - it's an action adventure mixed with 1st person shooter and 3rd person puzzler. But i'd admit all three 3d ones have been samey.

And zelda? Hmm.. take a long look at wind waker then the twilight princess and tell me they're the same...

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Erm.. no.. all the marios havent played the same.

Unlike something like halo which is essentially the same game 3 times over with better graphics.. Mario games have saught to innovate in one way or another. In fact most the games industry "learn" (or some might say copy) from Mario's innovations in one way or another (be it camera, learning curve, etc etc).

mario= run and stomp on enemies head is the main core. i havent played the 3d games as such (64 and sunshine in game but that about it from them)

but I felt like I was playing the same game through out all of them
SMB
lost levels
world blah blah blah they all played the same

As for metroid, there's nothing else like it on the market - it's an action adventure mixed with 1st person shooter and 3rd person puzzler. But i'd admit all three 3d ones have been samey.

I wasn't comparing them to other games I was comparing them to each other and thus you agree the 3D ones are the same

And zelda? Hmm.. take a long look at wind waker then the twilight princess and tell me they're the same...

OH LOOK DIFFERENT GRAPHIC STYLES!!!

they still played the same...

and graphics mean NOTHING to me. *hugs REZ box with it's wire frame graphics*

mrclam

Giga Poster
whatever.. cant be ar$ed with this discussion it's gonna be like talking to a brick wall.
:roll:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm with kimahri actually.

Mario, Zelda and Metroid are all just variations on a theme. They're the best examples of the theme, but they are all pretty much of a muchness. Like Halo 3 is the best Halo game... ;)

It doesn't make them bad games though, they're still awesome, just not original. Resi 4 Wii edition is fantastic, the controls really make the game something very different to play, but it's still just the same game as before - made better by the Wii being fab :)

I've been playing the Skate demo on the PS3 the last week, and that's damn good. I love the way the game hangs together, and the fluid way the controls work. It requires dextrous skill, not just random button mashing. Thinking of actually buying the full game.

Minor_Furie is getting Folklore this weekend too. It's yet another in the PS3's line up of "enter arena, beat up everything, move to next arena, repeat ad infinitum" games. It has an "in depth storyline", so I'm sure it's got to be better than all the others :rolleyes:

I started playing R-Type Final last night. What have they done to the game??? Where are the aching fingers from needing to continually fire? Where's the adrenaline burnout 20 minutes in? What a travesty!

mrclam

Giga Poster
But variations on a theme is better than doing the EXACT same thing, no?

Besides there's always at least one technical innovation which the rest of the gaming world will steal in one shape or form:

Mario World : World map taking you to locations
Mario 64 : 3D Camera done well
Mario Sunshine : Improved camera, real time water, etc etc.

Ah well. Personally i think mario's and zeldas (until TP which was pants) tend to be the best games ever made.

Its not just the "oh look it's another platformer" it's the perfect learning curve they tend to have, the "always getting that one new thing to keep you playing", etc etc etc.

>Resi 4 Wii edition is fantastic

May i recommend scarface wii for the same reason? Controls are fantastic.. Be tony montana blowing the crap out of everything in you mansion while coked up :wink:

>I've been playing the Skate demo on the PS3 the last week,
>and that's damn good

Told ya :)

I know good games when i see them! Actually currently "skate" and "stuntman" are my two favourite games (until mario comes out).

Never even heard of folklore..

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
mrclam said:
But variations on a theme is better than doing the EXACT same thing, no?

Besides there's always at least one technical innovation which the rest of the gaming world will steal in one shape or form:

Halo has those fun sticky bombs and vehicles you could get in and out of, and lots of extra physics and stuff. HL2 had some great new physics stuff to play about with as well, and Soldier of Fortune had the fantastic hit locations and damage depending on where you his and what weapon you used. All innovative, at least as innovative as the changes you mentioned Nintendo came up with (essentially all natural progressions on the themes).

It still didn't make any of those three games essentially anything other than FPS's.

mrclam said:
Ah well. Personally i think mario's and zeldas (until TP which was pants) tend to be the best games ever made.

Its not just the "oh look it's another platformer" it's the perfect learning curve they tend to have, the "always getting that one new thing to keep you playing", etc etc etc.

I don't think anyone can really argue with that. The games are constant perfections on the best of the genre. They take the best, and make it better. That doesn't mean that the games are suddenly massively different from each other though. Good, yes, but something really new? Not at all.

mrclam said:
May i recommend scarface wii for the same reason? Controls are fantastic.. Be tony montana blowing the crap out of everything in you mansion while coked up :wink:

You may, but it's a shameless cash in port of the PS2 version without any flair or finesse. At least Resi 4 used the Cube graphics engine! :p

mrclam said:
Told ya :)

I know good games when i see them! Actually currently "skate" and "stuntman" are my two favourite games (until mario comes out).

I'm losing patience with Stuntman. The first game was superb because it was so tough. It took me weeks to get to the final film. Some scenes would take me 3 or 4 hours to complete.

Ignition I've completed all the films, and I'm on 3+ stars on all the levels now, just worknig my way through getting the 5 stars, but really, where is the point? To add a few new ramps to the stunt zone? It's still got a degree of addictiveness, but the desire to play has lessened.

mrclam said:
Never even heard of folklore..

Not surprised. Typical PS3 fur coat and no knickers!

mrclam

Giga Poster
You may, but it's a shameless cash in port of the PS2 version without any flair or finesse. At least Resi 4 used the Cube graphics engine!

Not true, the gfx engine was improved significantly over the ps2 version.

.. it's just that a lot of people dont notice said differences :lol:

kimahri

CF Legend
Can any one explain wtf killer7 is about?

The videos of it make very little sense.

Is it one of those games you need to play to under stand as well.

and again (is it difficult to get a hold of)

Jer

Strata Poster
Mario died years ago the franchise is wayy over done every other ****ing game for every ****ing nintendo system is mario give it a break!

mrclam

Giga Poster
Jer said:
Mario died years ago the franchise is wayy over done every other!

In 11 years There have been 3 "real" mario games:

Mario 64, mario sunshine, and the soon to be released mario galaxy.

There are other games with him in it, but they arent mario games. And the only reason he is used is because if nintendo puts him in a game, it sells 3 or 4 times more than if he wasnt in it. A Dead franchise? No.

Doesn't stop the platformers from being brilliant though. Even sunshine (Which many believe is the worst in the series) is better than most games out there.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
Well just finished Portal, in one sitting (8 hours).

Really good concept, excellent execution, thoroughly enjoyed :D. The voice work was excellent, great balance of humour and menace.

Athough it was a bit lacking in variation, and I'd have liked to have seen something more "active" in the levels rather than just moving scenery or static guns.

If I'd payed £30 for it standalone I'd have been a bit disappointed, but as a package with HL2+ and Team Fortress 2 for £26 it's stunning.

With any luck a level editor will show up. And it would be very interesting as a multiplayer, or if the Portal technology showed up in an HL2 episode.

Don't forget, THE CAKE IS A LIE!!! :p

kimahri

CF Legend
Tetsuya Mizuguchi is thinking of REZ 2 *shifty look*

and I like the music in that need for speed trailer. that was about it though.

BUT Tetsuya Mizuguchi is thinking of REZ 2!!!! *another shifty look*

PLEASE SAY IT'S TRUUUUE!

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
Pierre said:
mrclam said:

Actually hilarious.

I'd like to reccomend his games as well, also, actually.

They're fantastic point and click adventure games, with a crazy supernatural story, added humour and the lark.

In order of how they should be played (for you to get the story at least a little :p):

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/5days/

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/7days/ <- IMO the worst one. Bare with it.

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/notes/

http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/6days/ <- best one

Also, need I remind you of the Orange Box again? It's £25 for 5 Games. 5 of them! For £25! I'd like to echo Mark's Portal review, it's the most original game I've played in such a long time, gameplay wise. HL2 Ep 2, aside from the title, is amazing. Certainly, it's not doing anything groundbreaking, but its a laugh from the start to the (very sad) end.

Have yet to start up Team Fortress 2, so expect that soonish. Shall probably be creating a CF server too, if anyone's interested.

Finally, I agree with Clam, I do enjoy playing Mario games. Sure, they're not original, but they're a whole lot of fun, with some pretty decent setpieces. Though the occasional original little indie game is nice every now and then :p