What's new

The Games we play...

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Ok so theres a lot of new games coming out recently so I thought I'd leave some trailers of games I would reccomend, which are being relaeased soon.

Halo 3 (Out 26th September 2007 UK)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWkoWLQVpsk[/youtube]

John Woo's Stranglehold (Out 14th September 2007 UK)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EcB2jgVoRI[/youtube]

Vin Diesel as The Wheelman (Out Nov 2007 UK)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0B6jcqLa-A[/youtube]

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Out 5th November 2007 UK)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JC3UMJ2It4[/youtube]

Skate (Out 28th September 2007 UK)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JqElFb9Uig[/youtube]

kimahri

CF Legend
Halo = NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AND NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mario= ^

and zelda and metriod and all of the rest of nintendo's over used mascots that they abuse as sex slaves.

If you want a good game then look for

Shadow of the colossus
Ico
Rez
Beyond good and evil

they didn't sell too well because of ****ing fanboi going gaga over the same **** that nintendo and halo have barfed out.

sure mario galaxy looks "fun," but look at it in general its the same as the last ones. dont bother going well look as mario sunshine it's different. NO! it is not same bollocks again

AND HALO SAME BOLLOX THAT LOOKS PRETTY

(rant over)

so yeh

game that i would reccomend if thats what this topic is about

Rez for PS2 and Dreamcast Brilliant game. I'd say the best game on last gen

Shadow of the colossus for PS2 again. Amazing visuals huge world and again Brilliant game.

Ico for PS2 only played very little of it atm but again brilliant game made by the same people as shadow of the colossus.

Beyond good and evil PC x box and ps2. haven't played this and only mentioning this to show how a game that sold badly can still be an infeckingcreadable game.

i'm done now :D

Snoo

The Legend
Halo 3.

The game of the year really.. maybe of the decade. Halo and Halo 2 were such great games.. story-line and online play.. and Halo 3 should not disappoint.

THIS game is what will make XBox360 better then PS3.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
SnooSnoo said:
Halo 3.

The game of the year really.. maybe of the decade. Halo and Halo 2 were such great games.. story-line and online play.. and Halo 3 should not disappoint.

THIS game is what will make XBox360 better then PS3.

PMSL! THIS is the game which will cement the 360 as EXACTLY the same as everything else (PC, X-Box, PS2, PS3).

Kimahri is 100% right. He's talking about gameplay and something original, not the same old **** in a new package.

Now, I love racing games, and have played hundreds over the years. I would never claim even the BEST new racing game to be a great game though. Colin Mcrae 'Dirt' is certainly the best racing game I've ever played. It has a number of fantastic new enhancements that really do make it something special. Does that mean it's the best game ever? No, because it is simply the same in essence as all other racing games.

Halo 3 is the same. It's just another shooter. They're formulaic games with no real redeeming feature beyond very simple entertainment.

Don't get me wrong, simple entertainment is not a bad thing. Transformers the film was a fantastic piece of entertainment, but it was really a very good film. Harry Potter is great entertainment in book form, but they're not actually very good books.

The games Kim mentioned are all great examples of superb games. They're not just rolled off a production line, but properly created works of gaming art. They're designed to do more than entertain, they're designed to engage your senses and emotions.

Ico or Shadow of the Colossus have been my games of the decade so far. No other games have ever made me bleary eyed at how beautiful and gripping they are. I don't really care about platform, it's the game which is the important thing, and Halo, Gran Tourismo, Metal Gear are all just updated versions of the same old, same old. It doesn't matter they do it better (though is Halo 3 really better than the two Half Life games? I played both Halo's on the PC for an hour or so before finding them tedious in comparison), it's just the same basic thing once more.

I'll come up with some recommendations at later point, but Resi 4 on the Wii is my current game of choice. It's a slightly different take on the standard fare, and the Wii controls are just the icing on the cake. It's still just entertainment, but if you've not played the original on the other consoles, it's well worth buying.

Ketchup

Mega Poster
http://eu.starcraft2.com/

Sequel to the best RTS ever? Hell yeah.
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=ELhtXtnV3pg[/youtube]

And the awesome looking Team Fortress 2, the sequel to the most stupidly fun multiplayer class based FPS, that also comes in a package with Half-life 2, Half-life 2 Episode 1, Half-life 2 Episode 2 and a new game called Portal. Bargain of the century.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=KsTB6N8RuxI[/youtube]

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=k4jnl0hRB9I[/youtube]

Ollie

CF Legend
I'm waiting for Timesplitters 4 and the next Kingdom Hearts game.

XBOX CAN SUCK MY ASS!!!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^I'll second that.

Timesplitters 3 Future Perfect was awesome, Timesplitters 4 WILL be stunning. Out of the games, though I would choose HALO 3. It's the game that's made XBOX.

David

Mega Poster
Skate looks awesome, been waiting for the release for ages now. Can't wait till Friday.

No more unrealistic Tony Hawks skating games :D

spicy

Giga Poster
Well I gota admit I am a Halo fan and I will be buying my copy on Wednesday and playing untill my eyes sting.

I recommend My Sims for a fun little game on the Wii. My little brother bought it and I thought I give it a go and its a superb little game!

A

Anonymous

The games to look out for this christmas are:

Rachett and Clank Future: Tod
Assassins Creed
Unreal Tournement 3
Haze
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

Ploddish

Hyper Poster
+1 Kim and Furie.

Beyond Good and Evil is still my favourite game of all time, but I've not had a chance to play Ico or SotC, unfortunatly.

Also, I agree with the Orange Box (More specifically, HL2:ep2, TF2 and Portal)

I'm going to throw one out myself: Bioshock. As of two weeks ago, it is now my second favourite gaming experience of all time. Now THIS is how you make an FPS. The story, graphics and audio are AAA quality (Though perhaps not as inventive gameplay wise, it still made massive leaps in the other sections). Superb on more than one playthrough, highly reccomended.

Homer

Hyper Poster
A game recommendations topic without this upcoming badass game?

SUPER SMASH BROS. F***ING BRAWL!

I will call off work and skip school just to have one entire day with this thing.

Mmm!

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
While that's going to be awesome Homer, it does fall into the "repeat of old game" category and will only really appeal to those who the first two games appealed too (which includes me :D ).

Anyway, Infendo today backed up my feelings on Halo 3 (and many other titles). The most relevant part is where they state that Halo 3 is a perfect Halo game. That means that as long as you like Halo, you'll love Halo 3 - it doesn't actually mean it's a great game though, just top of the console shooters so far:

http://www.infendo.com/marketing/its-ti ... #more-4291

mrclam

Giga Poster
The halo review scores are an interesting one..

1. Notice that EVERY review site in the world posted their reviews at the EXACT same time yesterday.

2. Notice that EVERY one of them gave the game near perfect scores

3. Notice that EVERY one of them has pretty much 100% of their advertising space now devoted to halo.

Websites (and magazines) need adverts to pay for themselves. If a company (and i'm not saying this did happen) says "we'll give you 200k's worth of advertising for this game.. but only if you think it's good.. If you dont think it's any good then it's obviously not worth us spending that sort of money on advertising it with you"

Then what are they going to do? This sort of practice isnt even new, ocean used to hold major parties on tropical islands every time a game got good reviews.. inviting the reviewers to attend..

Is it any wonder that games from smaller publishers never seem to get REALLY high scores? Even if it's justifed?

If you read the reviews of the game, nearly every reviewer goes on to state all the bad things in the game in the text of the review.. Almost as if to say "well my boss told me to give it this score, but if you read the words this is what i really think"

There's also the issue with websites that if a reviewer gave something like halo (the biggest game on the xbox) a less than perfect score.. all the 360 owning fanboys will then bitch about the site and boycot it. Posting in blogs everywhere that said site doesnt know what it talking about.. etc etc.

So who do you trust when looking for games reviews to decide whether to spend your hard earned cash?

Any website which isnt run for profit, or by fanboys of a particular machine.. So far i've only ever found one which i really really trust:

www.consolevania.com
(click on the "shows" tab - funny and informative)

But apart from that.. i'm open to recommendations..

Ollie

CF Legend
sheikra dude said:
The games to look out for this christmas are:

Rachett and Clank Future: Tod
Assassins Creed
Unreal Tournement 3
Haze
Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

The next Ratchet and Clank looks brilliant. :D

Assasins Creed looks like another one o look out for. But although the visuals and quality of the game is supurb, it all depends on how easy the controls are.

Unreal Tornament doesnt really bother me that much.

Haze looks good but It's yet to make me want to go and buy it.

Uncharted: Draks Fortune looks brilliant as I love the Tomb Raider games and this game looks bang smack perfect. :D

mrclam

Giga Poster
scotlandrulz said:
Yeah, BIOSHOCK looks pretty darn good.

It's "better than average" yes.

Bit short, bit dull, about half way through you'll be bored (almost gauranteed). But it's pretty, and at least it doesnt last long (so even though you're bored, it doesnt matter as there's not long to go).

10/10 like some sites gave it? Nope.. But then that's marketing for ya.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
Coaster Ollie said:
But although the visuals and quality of the game is supurb, it all depends on how easy the controls are.

You don't want easy controls, because theres no challenge to a game with easy controls. Once you master harder control manovers, it feels like more of an accomplishment. But I do have to second that Assasains creed looks very very good.

Ollie

CF Legend
^ What I meant by that is that I hoped that they would feel natural. Not so that they distract you from the game. :D

Peter

Hyper Poster
I'm in the Bioshock club!

I love the game. I'm not a huge fan of FPS (they all seem to be basically the same to me) but Bioshock has had me gripped for the last 2 weeks. It has a fantastic plot (although I missed a fair bit of it :p Thanks to Ploddish for pointing things out :wink: ) and is generally a stunning game. The graphics are ace and has some pretty creepy scenes in places.

Other than that, i'm not playing many new games. I still play GTA: SA-MP loads (the multiplayer mod - have added up thousands of hours since the start of the year.) I would love to get Ratchet and Clank - played the originals loads, but I don't have a PS3.