What's new

Music Recommendations

Richie

Hyper Poster
rhianna_umbrellavideo.jpg

The video for Rhianna - Umbrella has just been released!

OMG it's amazing!

I used to hate Rhianna, but since Umbrella and this video I'm starting to really like her :D

Video link for world exclusive: http://www.defjam.com/site/promo/contes ... covergirl/

Bitter

Mega Poster
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club have a new album out sometime soon, i lack the exact date sorry, but having just seen them live recently, i can say that the new tracks are awesome, back to the big bluesy, rocky riffs and catchy choruses. The single Weapon Of Choice is a good example of this and is well worth a listen.

The new White Stripes tune Icky Thump is now also available on tinternet, like YouTube for example. Quite different from other things, but of course, but i do quite like it so would recommend you listen to it and see what you think, might take a few listens though.

Homer

Hyper Poster
A few months ago, I picked up Streetlight Manifesto's 2006 album "Keasbey Nights."

I'm probably out in left field here for suggesting this since all I see is pop, pop, alternative, pop. Streetlight Manifesto is a ska/punk band from America that is currently one of the better ska/punk bands out there that didn't go "pop," coughLessThanJakecough. I suggest you'd give this a listen if you like old Less Than Jake, Reel Big Fish, and Sublime.

Jer

Strata Poster
^ah yaah, some of they're members are form my area of NJ if i'm thinking of the right band.

My suggestion is a very strange band form your area named, The Furious Sleep. THey sound exactly like Pink Floyd when they sing and i'm not joking around. They're music is very weird and constantly changes tempo,. The one song by them Quilty is a great example of this with good guitar riffs and vocal :)

Edit: http://www.myspace.com/thefurioussleep link to their music

Lewis

Hyper Poster
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

13360162.jpg

The lads from Sheffield are back with their new album, I've had it for a week and a bit now and I personally can't stop listening to it. The songs are the usual from the arctic monkeys with deep meanings to the songs, one being about Alex Turner's (lead singer) Ex Girlfriend.

Overall 9/10

robbeal

Hyper Poster
Lewis said:
The songs are the usual from the arctic monkeys with deep meanings to the songs, one being about Alex Turner's (lead singer) Ex Girlfriend.

I'm not sure about the 'deep' meanings on the first album, the large majority were about life and times in Sheffield, and plenty of going out and the build-up and come-down. Its good songwriting, but not particularly deep. I've not heard the 2nd album yet though, so I can't comment on that one.

...and a recommendation...

Seeing as the weather's been uncharacteristically sunny these last couple of days (well it has here in the UK anyway...), i've been listening to summery music, so here's a bit for you.

I think Nads'll agree with this one, well i think so anyway. CSS.

I've been growing to like their stuff recently, so I got hold of a bit the other day, and its exceptionally funky. Its lovely music for listening when you're driving home from work after a busy day, with the sun shining and the window down with the wind blowing through your hair. Its a tough one to describe really, NME are lumping it in with the so-called indie-dance/nu-rave collective, but its really something of its own. It does borrow from dance music, but it is a lot more laid-back, and also has a very indie feel to it.

Basically, they're the best Brazilian indie-electro, 4-female, 1-male act out there. Well, they're probably the only one, but you get my point. Fronted by a lady calling herself Lovefoxxx, who has to be one of the most effortlessly cool frontwomen ever, CSS (which stands for Cansei de Ser Sexy, or tired of being sexy in english) basically make music that the title 'indie-dance' was made for, rather than the music its actually ended up labelling. With lyrics coming in both English and Portuguese, its that type of music that becomes either instantly catchy, or to others, instantly irritating. The massive indie namecheck that is 'Lets Make Love and Listen to Death From Above" is just a simple funky guitar riff over some almost background bass & percussion, with the trademark hispanic accent over the top. The wonderfully named 'Music is my Hot Hot Sex' is a song that just makes you want to lie horizontally, and for summer to go on forever.

Keep an eye out though, they're one of the bands rather likely to break through this year!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7agPOt1XZz8 - Lets Make Love & Listen to Death From Above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33o-neyAng8 - Off The Hook (with quite a cool backwards video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjKwuVSr7zA - Music Is My Hot Hot Sex (its not the actualy video, its just someone's overly literal interpretation of the lyrics, lol)

danthecoasterman

Mega Poster
Richie said:
I used to hate Rhianna, but since Umbrella and this video I'm starting to really like her :D

Join the crew :lol: And it annoys me how you always put Rhianna... Rihanna :)

Anyway a song... Errm.

4AM Forever - Lost Prophets

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Tori Amos - American Doll Posse

dollpossewz1.jpg

I love this bitch, and this is easily the best thing she's come out with since Scarlet's Walk. As is quite usual with Tori, this album has a kind of quirk about it.

Here she takes on five different personae (the Doll Posse) and each of the 20 songs on the album are performed by one of these characters. She's a nut job, but she's fantastic.

Highly recommended, even if you can't usually stand her.

A

Anonymous

^I agree

breaking Benjamin- Phobia
b-r-i-l-l-i-a-n-t!!!! best songs are 'breath', 'dence with the devil' and 'unknown soldier'.
buy it.

Jer

Strata Poster
The Number 12 Loosk Like You - Nuclear. Sad. Nuclear

dbb9b340dca04b45b72a601qa0.jpg

I kinda picked up the CD thinking it would be okay, nothing amazing but WOAH I was wrong. The Number 12 looks like you are brilliant for their genre, they're hardcore music and their screamer has a good voice. Their songs are very weird and constantly change tempo, In one song An Apathy Fiction Description the song actually stops half way through and turns from a heavy screaming song to an instrumental slow, acoustic song. Very weird.

I Recommend starting with:
The Devils Dick Disaster
Texas Dolly
The Proud Parents Convention Held In The ER

Dave

CF Legend
Again im going to be different.

in-sorte-diaboli.jpg

Dimmu Borgir- In Sorte Diaboli

Excellent album, has a nice evil tone to it which satisfies the Dimmu fans after the over the top sythesized Death Cult Armagedon album. Its a welcome relief with the song The Serpentine Offering being a great opening song to the album. Its a must by for any Death Metal fan! Only £10 in HMV.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVfWuHSADpQ

^ Video to Serpentine Offering

A

Anonymous

Probably my favourite Trance/Dance music artist ever.

ATB

Summer Rain, Ecstasy and Let U go are some of his best songs, but overall i never really get bored with any of his music.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
Few Albulms to look out for:

Calvin Harris: I Created disco.
After seeing calvin when he was touring with Faithless i have to say his songs are brilliant. Look out for his new song : In The Industy

Groove Armada: Soundboy Rock
There new song Getdown is absolutly brilliant with a funny video.

Also look out for there next single: Song 4 Mutya(out of control) Ft Mutya and look out for me in the music video for it yey XD.

Smithy

Strata Poster
^

No. Linkin Park.

If you loved Hybrid Theory, and Meteora, then you might not like Minutes to Midnight.

In all honesty, there's not a single track on that album that I can switch on and listen to without hoping it ends soon, whereas with the other albums I mentioned, I don't want it to end.

Fair enough, they are going for a new style, but to me, it just doesn't work.

Snoo

The Legend
^Half the CD is good. It fits more of my style of music.. but it really isn't what they were before. I like the band though, and they are turning into a punk rock band IMO.

Smithy

Strata Poster
See I thought they were turning more into a Heavy Rocky - Punk band with this. I think it's more because I was so hyped up with the first two albums that the third was never going to meet my expectations. Some song's are growing on me, but overall it's dis-appointing that none stick out as being incredible, as others did.