What's new

Could modern coaster manufacturers build new rides with single position or ‘buzz bar’ style restraints?

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
As we all know, vintage rides like Knobels Phoenix and PNE Playland’s coaster are some of the most fun experiences to be had on any coaster. The GP and enthusiast crowds line up in droves for these rides because the airtime is so easy to experience. So, if a park wanted GCI or Gravity Group to design a layout similar to these vintage woodies would they be allowed to operate with the same minimalist restraints? Or are today’s buzz bar coasters just grandfathered into the current regulations?

rob666

Hyper Poster
I think with modern engineering an adjustable hinge, that locks when moved across the body, should be doable.
Good idea for family coasters and non loopers.

Enderplasma

Roller Poster
I feel parks would want it more if it also had a seatbelt, if for nothing more than making riders feel better about it.

Christian

Hyper Poster
On many coasters the whole reason to have a restraint is to restrain the riders from their own movements. If riders just sit still, restraints might not even be needed. Rutschbanan at Bakken is an example, while the riders are retrained there is a free standing breakman without any kind of protection. Ride ops of Lisebergsbanan usually ride the coaster without any kind of restraint when riding without guests. I have even ridden Lisebergsbanan with the lap bar almost completely open, I know the layout by heart and know when to hold on for airtime. From what I know there have never been any issues.

With that said, manufacturers and parks prefer safety or the notion of safety so I doubt they would build coasters with sketchy restraints. Better to build better restraints than risk a lunatic standing up and getting himself killed.

Last edited:

Indy

Hyper Poster
So, if a park wanted GCI or Gravity Group to design a layout similar to these vintage woodies would they be allowed to operate with the same minimalist restraints? Or are today’s buzz bar coasters just grandfathered into the current regulations?
No, it would not be allowed. They are grandfathered in.

A fixed-position restraint like a buzz bar is still allowed, but the ride must stay within specific g force boundaries that are exceeded by the rides you specifically referenced.

On many coasters the whole reason to have a restraint is to restrain the riders from their own movements. If riders just sit still, restraints might not even be needed...

With that said, manufacturers and parks prefer safety or the notion of safety so I doubt they would build coasters with sketchy restraints. Better to build better restraints than risk a lunatic standing up and getting himself killed.
Yeah, all of this is true.

Foxstar1387

Roller Poster
As much as I would love to see new coasters built with the old school "carefree" attitude to the bars and harnesses. I really cant see it happening. Mostly for the reasons stated and that its most likely mandated that there must be X amount of safety plus a redundant safe point. Plus TBH you cant trust people to not be a moron and do the " Look at me aint I da boss yo "dumb crap that you see at times.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
49 years old, been gooning for over 3 decades, got well over 400 creds, and yet... I have no idea what 'buzz bars' are.
Oh sure, I've heard people talking about them many times, it's clearly a well recognised term and whenever it crops up in conversation I always nod politely as if I know what I'm talking about. However I can't disguise my ignorance any longer. So, please tell me, wtf are buzz bars?
Why are they called buzz bars?
Can somebody please post a picture of what a buzz bar looks like, so this ignorant old coot can join in on the discussion?
Many thanks in advance.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Straight lap bar that you can fit yourself.
Only released at the press of a noisy solenoid switch that buzzes loudly...done by the operator after the train stops.
Memories from many years ago, can't remember where, but it was in the north west of England.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Thanks man, I think I know the type you mean, vaguely recall experiencing them... somewhere. 🤔
Buzz Bar.PNG

I don't recall us riding anything on the US trip which had them but this is what they look like. I've probably only been on 3 or 4 creds with this type of restraint, Phoenix is the main one I can think of.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Nice photo reminder...Grand National and Rollercoaster at Blackpool in times past I think.
Blue Flyer (kiddie woodie) still has them.

As we all know, vintage rides like Knobels Phoenix and PNE Playland’s coaster are some of the most fun experiences to be had on any coaster. The GP and enthusiast crowds line up in droves for these rides because the airtime is so easy to experience. So, if a park wanted GCI or Gravity Group to design a layout similar to these vintage woodies would they be allowed to operate with the same minimalist restraints? Or are today’s buzz bar coasters just grandfathered into the current regulations?

It depends on what country you plan on building the ride in.
I don't know about the US and Canada but UK and EU law require independant primary and secondary restraints on rides built after 1997. Anything older was required to have a maturity risk assessment to continue operating.

This is partly the reason why the new trains on Grand National have the restraints that they do after the originals were destroyed in the fire.

That being said, you could import a ride that does have buzz bars and operate it without an ADIPS certificate as noone is likely to stop you. The problem will only bite you in the arse if there is an incident. A bit of nostalgia isn't worth the prison time and fine you would get as well as the compensation that you will personally be liable for because you won't be able to insure the ride.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
Nice photo reminder...Grand National and Rollercoaster at Blackpool in times past I think.
Blue Flyer (kiddie woodie) still has them.
Well done Rob, that's the vast majority of the ones I remember, the Woodstock Express' in the US also still have them so they are mainly on family woodies.

While there is no law against it, manufactures/parks like rides that are less traditional and more Twisted. Gravity Group did Zippin Pippin in 2011. Not buzzbars but I could see them eventually making a more traditional woodie with buzzbars, probably reviving an old layout for a place like Kennywood/ Knoebles. The main issue is stupid people getting out. We had an issue on Big Thunder in California that has buzzbars where a guy got off during the second lift to get his phone.