What's new

Colossus Partial Retrack (Thorpe Park)

Sjnoebel

Roller Poster
Maybe if they send the order for Exodus to Intamin instead of Mack that Intamin was (more and faster) willing to produce these parts of track? ;)

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster
I might be missing something but what's the point of putting primer on the old track if it's getting replaced anyway?
That’s the one thing that had confused me, I can understand re-fitting the old track while waiting for the delivery of the new track, so that they could start doing some train testing after they had been reassembled the trains from winter maintenance, and when I went on pass holder day, I could tell a train had been over that section.

I was meant to be on park again today, however covid19 round 2 sadly put a stop to that, but from the photos I’ve seen, and reports from my friends that are on the park today, the new track is no where to be seen, so I’m even more puzzled.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
The old (replaced) track was sandblasted. This was to allow Taziker to model the track accurately so they could replicate the track, according to the park*. Not quite sure why they needed a primer paint for testing purposes...maybe purely so it looked nice.

The park never showed the track in place, so it might not be wholly accurate to say they installed and removed it. But it is very curious why it's not in place right now. Hopefully the track actually fits...

*Side note: I would have thought they could have gotten track specifications from Intamin / on file somewhere, so am surprised somewhat they had to model it like that. But then I'm not an engineer.

spicy

Giga Poster
Anyone know what’s actually going on with this?

The longer this goes on for the new track not fitting rumour starts to look likely?

I'm a bit worried and annoyed about the radio silence from Thorpe about this. If there were issues then it wouldn't have been hard to just stick a statement saying "We are experiencing some delays with Colossus' maintenance, sorry for the inconvenience." on their socials and the app. I'm sure many people would appreciate knowing what's going on.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
That is quite a relief actually. The radio silence from Thorpe on this, the removal of the ride from the maps & apps and the distinct lack of activity on site did make me start to wonder if they were quietly planning to retire Colossus on the sly, perhaps burying the news beneath all the Exodus hype.
I know it's not the best ride in the world... but I would be quite sad to see it go.

And come on Thorpe, throw in a new set of next gen trains, you know it makes sense.

This would make such a difference to the ride experience, surely more than track replacement would.
I absolutely agree with you there, I'd love to see some new-gen trains on Colossus.

Maybe they haven't replaced them due to clearance issues? I know the only reason that Olympia Looping has shoulder blocks in addition to lapbars is due to clearance. There are a few near miss elements on Colossus, maybe lapbar trains would allow too much free movement given the tight tunnels. Or maybe Thorpe is just being cheap...

(If clearance was an issue, maybe they could retrofit the new trains like how Thunder Dolphin's new trains were?)

aahtrvg.jpg
See above for the new Thunder Dolphin trains.

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
It’s frankly embarrassing that it took them this long just to replace one section of track. I don’t know if it was on Merlin’s end or the manufacturer, but something clearly broke down somewhere. This should’ve been finished by the time the season started.

Last edited:

Swat

Mega Poster
It’s frankly embarrassing that it took them this long just to replace one section of track. I don’t know if it was on Merlin’s end or the manufacturer, but something clearly broke down somewhere. This should’ve been finished by the time the season started.
We first saw the track missing on November 17th, since then Nemesis has been ripped out and had more track replaced.

The fact it’s taken at least 8 months for some of the barrel rolls to be replaced not even all of them is a laughable

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The state of those supports in that clip…

Thorpe came across as being a total dump at the time of the recent CF Live. Storm Surge and Colossus in particular looked atrocious.