What's new

Chinese learn a new way to eat fish...

kimahri

CF Legend
Gazza said:
Either way, I'm surprised people could still have an appetite with that sitting in front of them. Differences in taste aside, could you imagine eating a bit of beef where they had a cow sitting in front of you, and had skinned and blowtorched a relevant part for your consumption.

That would be alot different as cows are large and cumbersome... and they would smell bad (and good at the same time).

tks

Strata Poster
furie said:
I ate fish two days ago. It came pre-battered and frozen ready to be cooked. It was already dead. Surely this is the best way to eat fish?

I disagree. Processing fish and then covering it in batter is a terrible way to eat fish. It is a disgrace on the fishes memory. :p

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:
I get what you mean Furie, but I didn't sit there and make the fish have a painful death. It just did not because of me, but because that's the way it unfortunately happens on the boats or wherever. I also didn't sit and prod it with a stick and laugh at it.. I ate it, which is suppose to be the purpose of killing animals for food. Not entertainment, and it never should be.
Do you ever eat food when you're not hungry, for fun?

That's like a by-product of evolution, selecting those who eat lots, because it helps them survive in a normal enviroment.

"Thrill of the hunt" is another. It probably explains why I find chasing pigeons one of the greatest sources of entertainment London has to offer, and why people enjoy Fox Hunting, and Bull Fighting, and prodding at a semi-dead fish like a cat would...

CMonster

Giga Poster
I think that video is awful. Just to see the fish breathing like that, it looked like it was in alot of pain. And then for them to be tearing off its flesh and laughing about it... makes me mad. And grossed out.

You can buy fish which were only killed in a humane way, or you can not eat fish.

If everyone who ate fish either stopped eating fish, or only bought humanely killed fish - then there would be no tortured fish in the world.

Of course, as we have seen previously "monkey see monkey do" is your attitude to life, but everyone here who does not deliberately do their best to avoid fish being killed nastily for mass consumption is responsible and guilty of cruelty...

now you are no longer ignorant of the way the fish reached your table, will you still be able to eat fish guilt free?

If there were packages that said if the fish was killed humanely, sure I'd buy that. I've tried to do the whole vegetarian thing before (seafood is actually probably the hardest thing to stop because I love it so much) but my mom won't let me because I have a zillion vitamin deficiencies and stuff so.. Not eating meat is not a good choice. I barely even really like meat though, just seafood as I said. I could probably give it up. The point is, whether or not I will continue to eat fish or meat, the purpose of it is for consumption. These people were just having nasty entertainment with the fish.

Meat? No, only when my mom makes it for dinner. Snacks like chips or chocolate? Yeah definitely.

nealbie

CF Legend
I'm still LOL-ing at this. From the outset it looked a tasty delicacy. And then you find it's alive. To which I just LOL'd.

kimahri

CF Legend
I think it's great that this topic is people getting angry at the video then people loling at the angry people making angry people more angry which makes the loling people lol more!!!!

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
LiveForTheLaunch said:

Meat? No, only when my mom makes it for dinner. Snacks like chips or chocolate? Yeah definitely.
You missed the point, by only quoting and choosing to take any notice of half of my point.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Meh.

The fact that this one video is causing such an uproar proves that's it's far from common practice. Even if it was, **** it. Take a look at China's human rights record. Poking a half-dead fish doesn't seem quite so shocking.

That's like a by-product of evolution, selecting those who eat lots, because it helps them survive in a normal enviroment.

"Thrill of the hunt" is another. It probably explains why I find chasing pigeons one of the greatest sources of entertainment London has to offer, and why people enjoy Fox Hunting, and Bull Fighting, and prodding at a semi-dead fish like a cat would...

There Joey, I quoted the whole thing, and I still stand by what I said earlier. Or, I'm failing to even SEE your point.

I'm still LOL-ing at this. From the outset it looked a tasty delicacy. And then you find it's alive. To which I just LOL'd.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NEALLLL IT'S SOOO FUNNNY LET'S LAUGH AT THE EXPENSE OF OTHER ANIMALS. HA DEE HAW SO FUNNY.

RCF

Strata Poster
CMonster said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Snacks like chips or chocolate? Yeah definitely.

We have the same outlook on life.

OH NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:wink:

I love you.

Back to subject I still do kind of think this is wrong, but I still accept their culture, I just think it's not funny to have put this fish and pain and laugh at it. But let's face it, Asians have always been weird, now if it was Japan I would understand it completely :wink:

nealbie

CF Legend
Just a question to the billions of people that have posted it.

Why is it wrong?

You've all made a clear point of stating it is, but without extension...

Taylor, shut up. Learn that there are other cultures out there that may have traditions and ways of life different than your own.

I think I know there are other ways of life.. I'm not an idiot, I just don't think certain ways of life are right, and I think that if animal abuse laws are in effect in say, North America, and people can be punished for it, why can certain Asian cultures be allowed to do that as they wish?

Perhaps we should discuss the canadian tradition of Seal hunting...?

Go ahead and discuss it, it's not like I do it, nor do I know of anyone else who does do it. I did do an essay on it before, and obviously I am against it. I think the government was trying to pass laws to have it stopped but I dunno what became of that.

Seriously, you're coming across as incredibly ignorant, and for no real reason other than to go on your self-righteous animal rights trip in front of a group of people who you apparently think give a sh*t.

Considering people POSTED in this topic, and considering someone MADE this topic, I'd say there's a fair bit of people on here who do care.

Besides, I don't have to shut up or stop speaking my mind. It's on topic, therefore relevent, so just because you think you're Mr. Superior-opinion, doesn't mean I can't speak my mind either. Maybe I'm not as good at debating as you are, or arguing my point, but the point is, I still have every right to believe in things, and if I believe what is being done in this video is wrong, some idiot on a forum isn't going to stop me from saying what I think.

You work for McDonald's for goodness sake...if you're really going to set sail on your all-you-can-eat power trip on animal abuse, at least stop accepting minimum wage from one of the more controversial fast food chains.

Oh, excuse me, wanna come over here and even try and get a job with Windsor's absolute fail of an economy? I applied to SO many places, and didn't get accepted to one. It just so happened McDonalds hired me, and due to there being stuff I have to pay for, I took it. Also, I don't think McDonalds is the most controversial.. I haven't heard any stories, at least not as much stories as I have heard about KFC.

Just a question to the billions of people that have posted it.

Why is it wrong?

People have said it.. Have you not read the topic? Keeping things half alive and poking it with sticks, laughing at its expense, etc.

Slash

Giga Poster
UC said:
They aren't putting it in pain to laugh at it. They were just demonstrating that it's alive.

Yes but UC I think this is far beyond the point, I think it's rather cruel to treat any animal in this way.

UC said:
I'm willing to bet that the way the video was shot and the things being done in it, these aren't people that eat these types of dishes on a regular basis anyway.

This I agree with, these people are laughing at it as it's something they have probably never done before.

UC said:
Do you not laugh when a friend of yours is hit in the balls? So laughing at a human's pain is different than laughing at the pain of a fish?

Well UC, laughing at someone with temporary pain is all well and good but now imagine your friend is suffocating on a plate with cannibals taking chunks out of him. Not so funny in this situation and if it's nit tiny to see a person like this, I think it can't be said for a fish either.

I'm aware the situations are slightly different, but my point is that they're not laughing because the fish is in pain, it's more of a shock value to the whole thing.

Well then I don't think we should really be comparing them, but I see your point.

Besides, again, I bring up the fact these probably aren't people who eat this on a regular basis (at least the person filming) - if they did, they probably wouldn't see anything out of the norm with it.

This is besides the point, I know Taylor's arguments can have holes in them and make her easy to target, but she's got a fair point. It isn't right for anyone to do this, if this happened in America, everyone would be up in arms and this debate wouldn't be happening because it's a western country. Well, us Brits banned fox hunting, so I think China can give up some of the cruel things they do. China did not bat an eyelid at the bull race or fox hunting, but ignorance doesn't make what they are doing any the more right. So overall, UC I think even with the culture differences, it still shouldn't happen.

nealbie

CF Legend
UC said:
Uh, didn't you guys decide that telling other countries what to do was a bad thing? Isn't that why you gave Hong Kong back...?

Actually that would be because the 99 year lease ended ;)