What's new

WTF Merlin?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
It's actually possible to get zero by not meeting disability access requirements. It's not just hygiene.

Sorry, but no, it isn't... IF they included accessibility in an EHO visit, (which they don't usually, trust me, I've presided over hundreds of them and have never been questioned on it) then it would be included in the structural section, of the 3 sections. And one issue would still not lead to you losing a shot at a perfect 5 score. NO kitchen is perfect, it's about minimising risks, not achieving perfection. If you had to have a completely faultless visit to get 5 out of 5 then nobody would get 5, ever.

Here's how the scoring works

You are scored on 3 sections.
  • Food Hygiene and Safety (Is there a HACCP management system in place, is food being stored properly, cooked properly, labeled properly etc etc)
  • Structural Compliance (this covers things like hot water, condition of the structure and equipment, etc etc... It does not cover accessibility in my experience.)
  • Confidence in Management (Is management proactive in ensuring the management system is adhered to, is management knowledgeable and qualified, have there been any complaints of illness from members of the public, etc etc )
For each failing found on inspection, you're given points in one of these categories.

To get a score of 5: Total points scored no higher than 15, No single category score higher than 5
To get a score of 4: Total points scored no higher than 20, No single category score higher than 10
To get a score of 3: Total points scored no higher than 30, No single category score higher than 10
To get a score of 2: Total points scored no higher than 40, No single category score higher than 15
To get a score of 1: Total points scored no higher than 50, No single category score higher than 20

So... To get a zero you have to have a total points score higher than 50. (Or I believe, a clear and immediate danger to public health, but I don't know that for sure.)

It is easy to slip up in silly areas, I've been there myself, where structural things catch you out, or paperwork is not done properly. I've had a hand wash tap, classed as too hot, get me points for example. But even on the toughest day, with the strictest EHO who seems set on wrecking your day with pettiness, these issues usually lead to a 4 or a 3. To score a zero is mind boggling, I've genuinely no idea just how bad it would have to be to get that, and I've been in the trade a long long time, and seen a lot of stuff. Trust me, it's bloody hard to get a score that bad.

(Move over @Hixee 🤣 We're in MY wheelhouse now. 🙈)

Bowser

Mega Poster
Bloody hell, Aramark have 30 locations at Chessington alone, every single one of them, besides this one, is rated at 3 stars (satisfactory) or more, the majority of them 5 stars... What the hell went wrong here to get something like that?

How does Vampire Kitchen score?

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Sorry, but no, it isn't... IF they included accessibility in an EHO visit, (which they don't usually, trust me, I've presided over hundreds of them and have never been questioned on it) then it would be included in the structural section, of the 3 sections. And one issue would still not lead to you losing a shot at a perfect 5 score. NO kitchen is perfect, it's about minimising risks, not achieving perfection. If you had to have a completely faultless visit to get 5 out of 5 then nobody would get 5, ever.

Here's how the scoring works

You are scored on 3 sections.
  • Food Hygiene and Safety (Is there a HACCP management system in place, is food being stored properly, cooked properly, labeled properly etc etc)
  • Structural Compliance (this covers things like hot water, condition of the structure and equipment, etc etc... It does not cover accessibility in my experience.)
  • Confidence in Management (Is management proactive in ensuring the management system is adhered to, is management knowledgeable and qualified, have there been any complaints of illness from members of the public, etc etc )
For each failing found on inspection, you're given points in one of these categories.

To get a score of 5: Total points scored no higher than 15, No single category score higher than 5
To get a score of 4: Total points scored no higher than 20, No single category score higher than 10
To get a score of 3: Total points scored no higher than 30, No single category score higher than 10
To get a score of 2: Total points scored no higher than 40, No single category score higher than 15
To get a score of 1: Total points scored no higher than 50, No single category score higher than 20

So... To get a zero you have to have a total points score higher than 50. (Or I believe, a clear and immediate danger to public health, but I don't know that for sure.)

It is easy to slip up in silly areas, I've been there myself, where structural things catch you out, or paperwork is not done properly. I've had a hand wash tap, classed as too hot, get me points for example. But even on the toughest day, with the strictest EHO who seems set on wrecking your day with pettiness, these issues usually lead to a 4 or a 3. To score a zero is mind boggling, I've genuinely no idea just how bad it would have to be to get that, and I've been in the trade a long long time, and seen a lot of stuff. Trust me, it's bloody hard to get a score that bad.

(Move over @Hixee 🤣 We're in MY wheelhouse now. 🙈)

Thanks for correcting me (no sarcasm). I clearly heard wrong somewhere, besides I don't recall accessibility being an issue there when I last ate there last year.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
You can see all the inspections here:

Vampire Kitchen got a 5.

I wonder of it's possible to access the full report of the Smokehouse inspection that scored a 0? I bet there are some interesting images in that report that would shock even Gordon Ramsey
Honestly, I've no idea. It used to be possible, they used to include it on the website. But these days, some of these reports contain personal information in a lot of detail, so I imagine it would be a nightmare under GDPR screening that out. You could probably acquire a redacted version on a case by case basis using FOI requests?

LaurenceUK

Roller Poster
Honestly, I've no idea. It used to be possible, they used to include it on the website. But these days, some of these reports contain personal information in a lot of detail, so I imagine it would be a nightmare under GDPR screening that out. You could probably acquire a redacted version on a case by case basis using FOI requests?
From the website:

"If you wish to see the food safety officer’s report on which this rating is based, you can request this from the local authority that carried out the inspection. You can do this by sending an email to the address below. The local authority will consider your request and will usually send you a copy of the report. In some cases, the local authority may decide that they cannot do so but will let you know this and explain why."

Go on then, who's doing it?

LaurenceUK

Roller Poster
Chessington Passholder day on Sunday. Unavailable rides:

Dragons Fury, Tomb Blaster, Scorpion Express, Tiger Rock, Monkey Swinger, Seastorm and Tiny Truckers.

Not ideal.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
What's the point in going? That's a big chunk of the primary line up missing right there, though wasn't Scorpion Express down all last season?

LaurenceUK

Roller Poster
I believe there was an electrical fire on the train so a lot of new parts were needed. There is speculation the ride might leave in the coming years so I would imagine the park were thinking about removing it. Some shipping crates from Mack were seen next to the ride a few weeks ago so I'm guessing some parts have finally arrived

LaurenceUK

Roller Poster
And I see on Twitter that Mandrill Mayhem has stalled at the bottom of the helix and there is a crane on site removing the train. Can't see that being open tomorrow. FFS

Matt N

CF Legend
And I see on Twitter that Mandrill Mayhem has stalled at the bottom of the helix and there is a crane on site removing the train. Can't see that being open tomorrow. FFS
That could just be a failed launch on the booster launch before it. It’s happened before and the ride has recovered fairly quickly. Surely that wouldn’t require a full train removal?