What's new

What ride do you have the most intangible love for?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Many people on here have ride rankings and top 10 lists, and even if they don’t, I’m sure most have rides that they love and rate highly. Often, you can justify your love of a ride in very tangible terms and point to the exact things that you like about it. For instance, you could say that you like a roller coaster because you love its airtime, its speed, its intensity, its whippy turns, or even because you like specific elements.

But sometimes… it’s not that clear-cut. Sometimes, you simply like a ride and don’t really know why. Sometimes, you just like it for some intangible reason. With this in mind, I’d be keen to know; what ride do you have the most intangible love for? What ride do you like, but not really know too many specific reasons why you like it?

I was inspired to make this thread when I was reading the brilliant Phantasialand trip reports by @Rob Coasters (https://coasterforce.com/forums/thr...-to-put-things-into-words.46696/#post-1166902), and he spoke about FLY and his seemingly intangible love for it in his day 2 trip report. Here’s what he had to say about FLY:
Rob Coasters said:
I’m still a little lost for words on the whole ride and can’t really explain why I like it so much. Time for a ramble.
In my eyes, one of the most important things in the roller coaster community is the ability to justify why you think something. If you’re able to do this, then you can have the most ‘out there’ opinion in the world, and as long as you’re able to say why you think that way, then I can say ‘yeah, sure, I believe you’. If you sat me down and told me why Ice Mountain hands Ride to Happiness’s a**e on a silver plate well enough, I might leave that conversation thinking “huh, he might be onto something”. And that’s the magic of roller coasters.
But FLY is a complex mechanism. FLY basically goes against everything I like in a coaster (provide an out of control experience; FLY’s experience is very controlled) and it lands in my top ten. But why? Why do I like FLY so much? I can’t think of a straight answer other than…

…the vibes. FLY is a vibe. Simply put, it’s vibes. I like being on it, I like looking at it, I like being in its presence. Can that be enough reason for a ride to be one of my all-time favourites?
(I hope you don’t mind me name-dropping you, Rob; if you do, I can remove this little extract.)

Rob’s monologue about his intangible love for FLY definitely resonated with me, as while I’ve never ridden FLY, I have certainly had similar feelings towards different rides in the past.

However, the ride that I would say I have the most intangible love for, by far, is Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. I had the opportunity to ride Hagrid’s twice on my June 2023 trip to Florida, and I absolutely adored it. It’s in my top 5, at the #5 spot at present, with the only Florida coasters placed above it being Mako, VelociCoaster and Iron Gwazi (and if I’m being honest, I’m still not 100% sure about Iron Gwazi being above Hagrid’s) and the only other non-Florida coaster placed above it being Silver Star. However… I’d struggle to think of many tangible reasons why I love it so much. With the other 4 coasters in my top 5, or maybe even the other 9 coasters in my top 10, I can reel off a reasonably comprehensive list of tangible reasons why I love them. But with Hagrid’s, the only reason I can really provide for loving it as much as I do is that it’s, simply put, a phenomenal amount of fun. In a basic sense, I like my coasters to be fun, thrilling and rerideable, and even though Hagrid’s definitely ticks those three boxes well enough for me for it to hit my top 5, I can’t really explain too well why it ticks those boxes other than that “it just does” or “it’s just so much fun” or “it just gave me that WOW feeling on the brake run”.

But I’d be keen to know; what ride do you have the most intangible love for? What ride do you love, but not really know why you love it so much?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Tough question really - I think by definition, we tend to know why we love certain rides... even if the reasons aren't clear cut to other people.

For example, we might like a really terrible ride for nostalgic purposes. Or perhaps we prefer a universally ridiculed ride over a world class ride for sentimental reasons.

I genuinely can't think of a ride I like without knowing the reason or reasons behind why I like it. Since a ride is ultimately an experience, I am rating it based on how it makes me feel, whether it's through thrill, comfort, aesthetic etc. So I suppose in that sense, I am purposefully and actively thinking about why I enjoyed such an experience.

Perhaps I'm wrong and just a party pooper? 😂

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
(yes, that is absolutely fine!)

I'll reply with another one that I have similar feelings towards: Helix at Liseberg. Writing about Helix was extremely difficult for me, with not only delaying my review of it but also in the review itself where I spewed a load of utter nonsense most of which I disagree with looking back (sorry @HeartlineCoaster ). If there's one trip report I want to rewrite entirely, it's the Liseberg one. But to this day it's still a little challenging to talk about Helix for me. It's just... a lot. I want to revisit Liseberg to see if a few more Helix rides will finally give me the words I need, but the loss of Flumeride will leave a hole in the lineup for me and I'm not sure if I want to wait for its alleged replacement or just go back asap no matter what.

I remember discussing my rankings somewhere else shortly after my Djurs Sommerland trip where someone was curious on why I ranked Helix above Piraten. And I just couldn't find the words for it other than "I just do mate". I know that I do prefer Helix over Piraten. I just cannot figure out why. Realistically according to my tastes I should have Piraten above, because it's more out of control with those incredible twisted airtime hills and heavy positives. But Helix has that indescribable something to it that I cannot put my finger on.

Graeme

Roller Poster
I know why I like all the ones I like, but there are some I really love that I can see the criticisms of:

Great Yarmouth Roller Coaster - Not a criticised ride, admittedly (it has a great 2nd drop, for one thing), but my passion for it goes beyond that. I love going round the giant "indoor" turns, looking into the structure whenever I can and trying to spot all the stored trains etc.

The Vampire - Again, a great ride, but arguably only has one thrilling bit. My love for it involves the sheer scale of the footprint, the sense of journey and the way it makes you feel like you're flying. It's not just a coaster, it's a piece of escapism.

Millennium Coaster - I get the feeling this one is more respected nowadays for its smoothness, but back in 1999 it was really quite slated. I think people were a bit put out by the marketing claims ("Europe's biggest looping coaster" etc). Personally, I've always loved it. I can see it doesn't do a great deal after the 2nd loop, but it gets seven elements out of its 150ft height, which is more efficient than some.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Vampire. I was the only worker who had it every single season for 7 consecutive years during my time there (which I always liked to assume was because I became the invaluable worker on it year after year hehe). I broke the throughput so many times, one halloween we got over 100 extra people on it within a single hour than theoretically possible... I hated how rotten it looked, the queue line, how the organist broke within 2 weeks of opening every year, and how stripped out the station is, and how by my final season all the young guys didn't understand how to change a bin or sweep a queue line properly. But man, working on that thing, there was just this energy I picked up every time that was infectious. If I was on bars, everyone on that ride was working hard, and guests would pick that up and actually co-operate with you. If I could do anything in a theme park, it would be to spend one more problem-free day working on that ride. Knowing that when you did a good job, lift 2 dispatches weren't just some myth of the past made a nerdy teenage me feel like a king.

I think this is something a lot of people who've worked on rides could relate to. You come to love the places you're at the most, as you understand more and more of the intricacies, their successes, and failures. Having worked on the majority of rides at chessington over my tenure as a ride op/host, the ones that stand out to me are tomb blaster, rameses revenge and vampire. I think it was the problem solving you had to do on the job on these rides in particular that actually kept you stimulated and engaged with the guests. Genuinely think that when you can see the staff having fun, you're more likely to have fun as well.

Aside from that, I'll always have a soft spot for Geister Rikscha and Feng Ju Palace at Phantasialand, just because they act as grounding attractions to remind you that the place is still a theme park where not every ride is world class. They're charming in their own underdog, wooden spoon kind of way.

And then Chiapas, which for me is the creme de la creme of theme park design. The sheer ingenuity of it's design, its story telling, the queue line, the surrounding environment and the ride itself is magnum opus of theme parks.

So to answer your question Matt, I don't know, because it would seem I have very tangible reasons as to why I love the silly little pieces of metal that I do.

Last edited:

Niles

Giga Poster
Also will join the Vampire love train, there is just something special about it. I hope they keep this and give it the Nemesis treatment. Its a bit rough and has some slow spots but its a journey and one i allways leave happy.

Flying turns this coaster fascinated me before and after i rode it. Bobsleighs as a type may fall into "intangible love" they are so different from other coasters, the only other one ive done is Avalanche and tbf i love that to. Its not forceful in any ways i normally care for but i got off loving it and of all the coasters i would want in my garden, this, i would want this, fantastic odd thing.

Tyrolean Tubtwist ok i want this in my garden too. Not comfortable, spinning does not do much for me, how is it a coaster?? And yet it has such a personality, its fun, me and my dad came off laughing its a funny ride that everyone should go on if possible.

Finally the Ultimate, rough, to long, basic elements, long moments of nothing. But yea, so sad its gone, it was one of a kind and nothing will ever be made like this (for good reason 😅) ever again, even though i only got a few rides its more memorable than so many coasters that are "better" than it.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Ah yes, the "Zero Coaster" - the one that transcends rank and order to always be at the top.

Honestly it's probably Phoenix at Knoebels. It is objectively a phenomenal wooden coaster with some of the best airtime to be found anywhere (and I believe a remaining @furie #1?). But the story behind it's relocation to Knoebels and TLC they continue to apply to the coaster (and Twister for that matter) is second to none. It is one of the most perfect incarnations of roller coaster, anywhere.

I was thinking of making a similar thread about this only continental coaster...thanks for making my life easy :)

Twisted Colossus: OG Colossus was my mom favorite coaster. Even before I became an enthusiast, I saw this on adds and pamphlets living in socal, and though it looks cool. From then on it became my Number 1 bucket list ride. Finally last summer I made it to SFMM, and made it my 100th coaster for the reasons already stated.

X2: I got a beautiful sunset ride on it. It was legit the most beautiful thing I have ever seen, and it really made me appreciate that riding insane things like that is my average Sunday afternoon.

Manta SWSD: the ride that got me into coasters, and my most ridden attraction at 346 rides since 2016

Esther7

Roller Poster
It happens to me a lot with rides and also with parks, above all it depends on the company and good memories. I think it's not necessary for a ride to be a "world top coaster", if I have fun and have good memories, it's a good ride for me.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Score one more for Vampire. It's not a thrilling ride when you break down the layout, sparing an allowance for the tunnel of course, but it's a nostalgia thing. My first "big" coaster and a lasting remnant of Wardley's ambition and vision.

At the same park, Tuk Tuk Turmoil. It's just a dodgems, but a dodgems me and my partner made good memories on. I distinctly remember going on a dead day and doing 3 or 4 rides in a go...

... which reminds me of the Bumper Cars on Clarence Pier in Portsmouth. Me and some mates back in college rode them for over an hour one day. Ached for days.

Two Bumper Cars... who'da thunk it?

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
Some interesting comments in this thread: Great Yarmouth's coaster is actually pretty special. I haven't been on it since I was a kid but I recall it has a colourful vibe right by the ocean and some good airtime. Something about weaving in and out of the structure is also pretty unique in a way that other wooden coasters don't really have. It would be more rated at all if it weren't an absolute bastard to get to.

Helix also has a lot of great elements and good pacing but I think part of it is the fact it's on the hillside looking out over the city. Also just cool as hell how you fly around the hill doing acrobatic manouvers. It sort of reminds me of Nemesis in that it builds up to the climax that happens around the penultimate inversion range. On Nemesis, it's the loop which is the largest inversion that you queue very close to. On Helix, it's the inverted top hat followed by the insane airtime hill with the Gothia Towers in the background.

For my own answer, it's Shockwave at Drayton Manor. The zero-g roll on a Stand Up was unhinged, but there was a feeling of grand scope as you rounded the first turnaround drop - I think part of it was the Stand Up trains, which rose you further above the track and felt more exposed. It remains to be seen if the sit down (apparently with lap bars!) version has that special feeling. It's objectively a pretty average coaster with a very basic layout, but something about it just worked. I just hope the zero-g roll is still crazy, it was the first zero-g roll I went on and I haven't been on a better one yet still to this day.

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
If I were to pick a "zero coaster" it would be Nemesis, I know why I like Nemesis though. It's got those classic B&M Invert positives and it throws you around while still being a comfortable ride. It's my zero coaster because I remember being too short to ride it back in 1994 and looking in awe at the river of blood. Finally getting on it a few years later despite being terrified was a peak experience. Towers just wasn't the same without it last year.

A ride that I irrationally love and can't quite explain why? Has to be the Grand National. There's a lot of nostalgia in the mix for me, but even these days I find myself having affection for it even though it hurts. The airtime is not especially notable, the valleys can be brutal on my approaching-middle-age back. I would happily recommend Nemesis to pretty much anyone. The Grand National? Not so much.

ValravnIsElite

Roller Poster
1Steel Force
2Powder Ked
3Powder Keg
4Millennium Force
5Outlaw Run
6Gatekeeper
7Time Traveler
8Raptor
9Corkscrew
10Rougarou
I've rearranged my top 10 based on the amount of fun I had on the coasters and it looks a bit like this
Steel Force, Valravn, or Powder Keg, take your pick

ValravnIsElite

Roller Poster
1Steel Force
2Powder Keg
3Valravn
4Millennium Force
5Outlaw Run
6Gatekeeper
7Time Traveler
8Raptor
9Corkscrew
10Rougarou
I've rearranged my top 10 based on the amount of fun I had on the coasters and it looks a bit like this
Steel Force, Valravn, or Powder Keg, take your pick
Fixed error, dont read the one above

cpfanatik77

Roller Poster
Mine is New Texas Giant. I got to ride it in 2016, and by that time, I had almost gotten to the point where riding coasters wasn't fun anymore. I enjoyed them, but they increasingly made me sick to my stomach and it was just difficult to ride like I had in my teens and 20s. I genuinely wondered if it was time for me to give them up. Then I rode New Texas Giant.

I had never experienced anything like it before. The airtime was great, it was a wild ride, and best of all, it didn't make me feel sick. It single handedly got me back into coasters. I've now ridden rides that are way more intense and crazy, but it still holds a special place in my heart. I'm sure if I got to ride it again, it wouldn't compare ride-wise to some of the other RMCs and Intimins I've done since, but it is special to me in a way which no other coaster is.

Last edited:

zoeycuten

Roller Poster
Definitely Ravine Flyer II and Steel Curtain. For Steel Curtain, I simply don't know why. Ravine Flyer II, on the other hand, I love it due to all of the people I've met because of my consistent trips to Waldameer, its also just an amazing ride in general.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I'll answer this question with some rides I don't necessarily rate highly, but I like for no reason I can fully explain.

Soquet roller coasters. I've ridden 7:
Gaz Express, Bagatelle
Spirale des Dunes, Bagatelle
Fort d'Odin, Parc du Bocasse
1066, Festyland
Drakkar Express, Festyland
Dragon Chinois, Jardin d'Acclimation
Furio, Dennlys Parc

There's no real rhyme or reason why I like them (Gaz, Odin and 1066 especially). They're not the best, they're designed a bit weirdly, they have strange pacing and banking. Really and truly, they're just cheap, average rides.

But my god, I bloody love them.