What's new

Universal Studios Florida | Transformers ride

Martyn B

CF Legend
The ride layout has been posted on Screamscape:

9Aux0.jpg

This should hopefully make the park a little bit better.

Gazza

Giga Poster
Re: Transformers ride | Universal Studios Florida

Ta for posting the layout, it's always so strange seeing how it looks in real life considering the ride itself mucks with your sense of position....When you ride, it feels like the vertical lifts are at opposite ends of the building, but going by this pic they are right next to each other.

bmac

Giga Poster

I don't really care about the layout, I'm more interested in the triple time to get the ride open by summer of next year. Definitely got to get Universal on the plate some time in the next 3 years.

nadroJ

CF Legend

Right, I'm confused. Is this literally the same as the one in Hollywood? I just don't see the point of that when Spiderman is NEXT **** DOOR? Seriously, what are they thinking? Yes, Transformers is an AWESOME ride, I mean really, really good, but some of the scenes definitely took the basic animation from the Spiderman ride and changed it to be Transformers, it felt really, really similar in some parts, especially more towards the beginning.

Unless it IS something totally different?

marc

CF Legend

From reading stuff it's the same as the other one.

nadroJ

CF Legend

It makes NO sense whatsoever. Like, none. Can someone else who has been on both comment because I really can't stress enough how similar the two rides are. Not just because of the ride system, but even down to animation, narrative and pacing. Flernghh.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Dont be so pedantic, I'm certain we all knew what he ment.

TilenB

Strata Poster

I'm just saying that there is also 1 in Singapore, which I don't think people are aware of...

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster

Yeah but when you think about it Disney World has Mermaid, Haunted Mansion, Nemo and Spaceship Earth which all use the same omnimover system.

Although I do admit Transformers and Spidey do have the same ending with falling off the roof top.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

Jordan, I agree that both rides are very similar - especially now that they've updated Spiderman to the new 'enhanced version'. However I think park management does know what they're doing for a few reasons.
Spiderman fits perfectly in the Marvel World section of the park, but is more of a Studios type ride (if you understand what I mean). If Spidey was in Studios rather than IoA, then it wouldn't make as much sense. I also think that the majority of park guests won't care & some will not even notice how similar the rides are.
The Studios park attendance increased with the opening of HRRR, but has lagged ever since the opening of the Harry Potter world at IoA. Since Transformers has the highest ridership at Universal's Hollywood Studios & the Jimmy Neutron ride was among the lowest in Orlando, the new Transformers ride - no matter how similar to Spiderman - will increase the Florida Studios park's attendance.
The new Harry Potter section in Studios that will open later, will send it over the top. So hopefully by then the management will be planning on something new for IoA to balance it back out. In other words - It's all good! :--D

nadroJ

CF Legend

I can see why they're doing it but I genuinely thought they'd change it slightly with what is pretty much the Mark 1 of the ride right next door.

It's still a **** awesome ride though, so I'm glad it's going to be in Orlando so I can ride it a whole bunch <3 (I'm far more likely to be in Florida than Cali ;]).

Lofty

CF Legend

I'm with you Jordan, I kept saying when we were over there, "But it's literally just THERE". Ha. But, hopefully, it's going to have a slight change in terms of some scenes etc, I very much doubt it, but we can hope.

Gazza

Giga Poster

nadroJ said:
It makes NO sense whatsoever. Like, none. Can someone else who has been on both comment because I really can't stress enough how similar the two rides are. Not just because of the ride system, but even down to animation, narrative and pacing. Flernghh.

Im so torn about this, Transformers is such a great, strong ride, but it's weird having it right next door to Spiderman.
I wonder if it would ever go to Universal Japan, that would be even worse, but at the same time Transformers would be very popular in Japan.

And yes, I found a number of scenes felt similar.

-Megatron shooting the missile and blowing a hole in the roof/wall = hobgobiln throwing the pumpkin.

-Megatron trying to grab onto EVAC whilst you try to reverse away, then failing because he bumps a water main, wetting his mechanicals = Doc Ock grabbing your arm with one of his tentacles, then failing because rips off the front fender and loses his balance.

-Getting wet by the water main = getting wet by hydro.

-Ravage jumping on your bonnet and snapping = venom jumping at you off the tank and slashing at you.

-Starscream hooking you with a cable and flying you through the air = hobgoblin grabbing you and flying you behind his hoverboard.

-Traveling down the tunnel, EVAC: "wrong way, we're trapped", spinning looking for a way out = spinning out of control in the sewer on spiderman.

-Falling off the top floor of a half built skyscraper when megatron pulls you = the drop on Spiderman

-Getting saved by bumblebee running in to catch you = spiderman throwing out a web to catch you.

marc

CF Legend

It's been confirmed by the park now.

Cannot post the link though as I'm on mobile.

No news of anything else though.

Mark

Strata Poster

It looks flipping brilliant and I am happy that it is coming to Florida because it will save me going elsewhere to ride it. So YAY.

I do see where Jordan is coming from though. It's one thing having the same ride system in a neighbouring park, which as someone mentioned, Disney do quite a lot with the Omnimover BUT the difference here is that the layout often differs. This Transformers is EXACTLY the same layout as Spiderman, it even includes the 'falling between buildings' section. Which I do find very odd. If this was going to have an all new layout and so on, then it wouldnt be so bad but it does seem a tad meh to have a carbon copy.

It's a bit like if Disney were to build Indiana Jones over at the Orlando Resort. It is exactly the same layout as Dinosaur at Animal Kingdom. It would be daft to not only have the same ride type but the same layout so nearby.

Still, I am grateful for any expansion and excitement over at the Studios park so meh.

Martyn B

CF Legend

I'm confused. This ride is going to have 2 lifts, yet its a clone of Spiderman, right? I cant remember any lifts in Spiderman.... :oops:

peep

CF Legend

^There aren't any. They're comparing the story more than what the actual ride vehicle does.

EDIT:

Ok, this is a pretty epic way to announce a new ride..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4bK6uu4beQ&feature=g-u-u[/youtube]