What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
They have all this unused land sitting there, does anybody know any reason they haven’t developed over in that direction?
Interestingly Old town wasn’t even referenced back then as a potential site for the next coaster.

Clearly for some reason after that MTDP was released focus was switched from building on that island to redeveloping Old Town.

I would say that island will definitely be the site of the next coaster though.

Just to add to what has already been said about the island between Swarm and Stealth.

The original plan from Thorpe when the Mid Term Development Plan was submitted in 2010 was for them to introduce a coaster in 2012 (Swarm), then another coaster in 2015, which would have been on that island. The park had a couple of ideas in the pipeline (nothing concrete though). However, with Swarm not being as big a hit as Merlin hoped, the park decided to try a non-coaster investment, and eventually we ended up getting Ghost Train. The location was more suitable for an indoor attraction - as the park are restricted with how much indoor space they can have on park permanently - than the island.

Around this time, Merlin had shifted from a 3 year development cycle to a 4 year development cycle, which is why Ghost Train opened in 2016 rather than 2015. The park were looking to invest in a new major attraction in 2020, and that island was one of three major sites considered I believe. However, Merlin then re-shifted budgets and plans, which meant that a major attraction simply just did not happen.

Hyperia is located where it is because the park needed to re-develop the Old Town area. It was a dead spot on park, and with them finally accepting that Loggers Leap wouldn't reopen, it was the right time. I imagine it's also a better location for a tall ride with a dense structure support for sight lines and the like.

I haven't heard anything either way about whether the ground on the island between Swarm and Stealth has settled suitably for construction. Given there's some Swarm supports on that island, and that island was infilled at a similar time to that of Swarm, I imagine it is okay. But I'm not expert on that area. I do know that the park did look at building a major attraction on that area in 2020, with many ideas drawn up.

An issue with that island is that the investment cost for building on it does increase because they have to create a whole new part of the park. That means they're not just building a new ride, they're extending the infrastructure of the park, and that comes with a lot of extra work over simply replacing an existing part of the park. Obviously the park have done it before (several times), but something to keep in mind.

It's a local restriction with colour about a certain height. Sure it's around 25m or something.

It's also a self-imposed restriction. In theory, the park could apply to paint it any colour. However, they are considerate and aware of locals and their concerns, and do try and get things to blend in. Swarm is about 40m and grey, for example, but the park very carefully had its high points placed so it has minimal impact on sight lines outside the park. Obviously, if the park said they wanted to paint Hyperia hot pink, there's a solid chance it would be rejected and some locals would kick up a fuss. But in theory, it could happen - just very unlikely. Hence why they go for the white!

As for the white supports at the same level as the brown-gold supports. It looks like there's no supports which are two-tonal. I know the park in the past said there was going to be some blending, and then back-tracked on that. Pure speculation on my behalf, but I imagine the reason is purely cost. Either:
1. Mack couldn't feasibly produce the changing in colour that Thorpe wanted, and to do it externally would have been too expensive. This seems unlikely to me.
2. Mack could produce the changing in colour that Thorpe wanted, but it was too expensive for Thorpe to do it.

The white supports that are at the same level as gold supports also go above the height where the gold stops. So to keep with the gold colour not going above a certain height, the supports have to be white.

I guess it's possible that those supports could be painted at a later date still. We will see.

freddycoasterkid

Roller Poster
eb3399f7465e0ea7864d5008fe3c08eb.jpg

822a94e140a3c717abdff2d15a070263.jpg

jasone

Roller Poster
Following the track mounts just messes with my head, this is such a mental element!

Same here. Can’t imagine how it’s going to ride, but I do think this and the first drop are going to be the stand out moments.

I’m imagining the closest thing to compare this to would be the feeling of the last half of the double inverting stall on Untamed, but on steroids. That was one of my favourite parts of Untamed so I’m imagining I’m going to love this. Cannot wait to see more track go in, it’s so beautifully messed up.

spicy

Giga Poster
The airtime on that outer bank is going to be insane.

Then the twist element I think will feel a bit like the clockwise spiral on TTD/KK.

Coloratura

Roller Poster
1698309484230.png

With this being confirmed on social media, I don't think this completely rules out a backwards facing seat at some point in the future.

Just like with The Swarm, I think a backwards facing seat (not spinning (that would be too much) will be added to garner additional excitement for Hyperia in later seasons.

Sandman

Giga Poster
View attachment 27937

With this being confirmed on social media, I don't think this completely rules out a backwards facing seat at some point in the future.

Just like with The Swarm, I think a backwards facing seat (not spinning (that would be too much) will be added to garner additional excitement for Hyperia in later seasons.

Going a bit off topic here but who on earth consciously decides to opt for that font?!

My poor eyes