What's new

The Smiler - your thoughts?

scw55

Hyper Poster
Re: Alton Towers | The Smiler | Unknown Gerstlauer World's 1

tomahawKSU said:
Looks, kinda crap? I would like to see some reverse POV and some less goony normal ones. That "theming" spider thing is still just a **** eyesore.

It looks fine to me.
This is very much an Element Coaster so it will look very similar to something produce by Roller Coaster Tycoon players, but with a touch of experienced designers.
I think the Spider is meant to look bold. The whole project has designed to look busy. I think it's to make it look overwhelming for visitors on the ground, and to artificially increase the intensity.

The only use of reverse POV videos is to:
1) Make the head-choppers look more head chopper due to reduced sense of depth.
2) Lol at people who are terrified when riding.

Given it's a coaster that squeezes 14 inversions into its layout, I think the design is good.
At least the sequence of two barrels contextually makes more sense than the 'army of heartline twists' on Colossus.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

Seeing as this is open now, I'm going to go ahead and un-sticky the topic.

I will also see what I can do about starting a new "Thoughts on Smiler" topic in General Discussions.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

So, The Smiler then. As I go through, you'll probably start to think it's all a little like Peter has just rewritten his opinion of the ride, but I think I probably agree with him. I'm going to write a detail review for the site in a while, but here is my personal, CF Report impression of the ride and the first "official" opening day.

It was busy... Properly heaving with people. There was a goonpede as the gates opened at 9:00 and I was a little behind , but had a jolly meander to the area. The gates of The Smiler up to the X-Sector entrance was already full and staff were directing people into a queue made from barriers up the hill.

Within five minutes this was full:
731a6486edf13bfb388f684a.jpg

For those who know Alton, this is from the main path from X-Sector, up to the "tunnel of wee" behind the chicken place. It then doubled back on itself and after ten minutes:
e15b3afd7fd19d4a127164ee.jpg

This includes the section above and the trail of people went right round towards the entrance to the Towers and out of sight.

By 9:30, the staff already had the queue listed as 3 hours and the ride hadn't even opened yet. It's rare for a ride in this country to make such a splash.

Cheers went out as the ride started testing. It makes a decent kitten roar as it goes around and looks quite nice. It definitely looked like the kind of coaster you could spend all day just watching:
06e78987c735ae0fa17518cc.jpg

10:00 on the dot and the gates opened and staff had to "level crossing" people into X-Sector. You head down into the pits of the ride area and under...
a50965ddbe744d5fd8cb735f.jpg

tomahawKSU said:
That "theming" spider thing is still just a **** eyesore.

Shush you - I think it's awesome :lol: I do love big yellow things though, like diggers and fevers.

You suddenly get this fantastic idea of the scale of the ride. There's just track everywhere overhead, to the sides and some very cool little optical illusion printing on the walls. The queue constantly moved, so it was difficult to get a firm idea of how awful it would be, but as the trains started to circle above us, I loved it.

It's hideous, concrete and metal, but you've got this horrendous/fantastic (*delete as appropriate) soundtrack blaring out and these stunning looking bright yellow cars diving in and out around you.

It looks absolutely stunning as you catch glimpses (or wait if you were later than me :p ):
d511be718224a614e22d4f38.jpg

The best thing though is those trains duelling around the track. It may be a fluke and not intended, but when they're working closely, it's incredible (I'm going to put a video together today too so you can see for yourselves). To have two trains racing each other as the pass overhead is sublime. I said above it's a coaster to watch and its gorgeous:
d361267f859a3fb66c61a0f6.jpg

I don't want people to think I've suddenly become some kind of saddened or deluded Alton/Gerstlauer apologist - I haven't. There's just something that hits the right note with me and it hit when I got into the queue. I think Joey will really appreciate it for the holistic nature of bringing together theme, music and views. I didn't spend long there in the queue though, but it's a five minute trek before you hit:
2431469c416c88f9126c1bdf.jpg

The first real disappointment. The station entrance area is ugly, bland and nasty. Suddenly I realise I'm about to ride a Gerstlauer and it's also not going to be pretty. All the excitement and love I was starting to feel rapidly washed away.

Inside wasn't much better. A few projected illusions that Drayton Manor would have rejected:
a344b782cf3e139a4b49ddb5.jpg

It's claustrophobic like 13's station, dark and a bit miserable. It's cheap really - I'll come back here in a bit ;)

The queue whizzes through though once inside, just a few minutes and it's bag drop burden and station. The bag drop is also like 13's, so if you're in a group (I tagged along with Towers Street) and some don't have bags, you end up split and having to force past people on the stairs to rejoin. Eugh!

The station is very open, bright and airy. It's a bit of a shock after the gloom of the building queue line. you're pretty much right onto a train though and off.

My first thoughts on sitting down? The train was already damaged. The aluminium panelling of the floor was bent up to the raised vertical part of the train (it's hard to describe, but essentially where the floor meets the car front). this had bent away from the front of the train where I was sat, probably due to somebody standing on it and it hadn't been fixed down properly. It's not a great start.

Spoilers ahead
The ride gets off and there's a decent drop much like Saw's, into the inline. I loved this. I usually hate inlines, but it really worked. There's something really odd though about it and it feels like you're still sideways when you're actually flat. It's a bit like the spinning tunnel effect in a ghost train - I loved it. It left me a bit dazed and my head took a while to realise we were on the lift section and heading up.

We were lucky and had a good duelling train going up the vertical lift. People knew each other on each train and were shouting and cheering to each other. It's very cool actually :)
415e001f8a7379ad9b7cad83.jpg

Then you drop and head for each other and the ride starts.

It's what you'd expect, inversion after inversion. If you watch the track and ride into it, it was "fun". The air time hill is mild, but pleasant. you don't really notice much else though. The odd glimpse of another car, but the Marmaliser you pass by without a glance. It's incredibly disorientating though. You do lose track of if you're inverted or not or where you are on the track.

It's a weird mix of forces assailing you constantly. It also has fit and spurts of speed and slow, so you can understand why...
6cc7c6edeb1d001e3cd2a5b6.jpg

It would stall ;)

We hit the mid brakes and hill and my head was spinning. I've never, ever been made dizzy by a coaster before. Madame_Furie said the same and also agreed with me the mid hill brought a very welcome break from the ride otherwise you'd be puking your guts up.

The second section wasn't as dizzying, but the airtime hill was better.
dc423cb44464348cce92905b.jpg

Then you hit the cobra roll and...
6ad3bdf72494aedd07f8e525.jpg

... everyone of the people on this train will be seeing a chiropractor in the near future :lol:

Wallop! It's a big crunch and it's jarring.

The rest of the ride I found "reasonably comfortable". No awards for smoothness, but it's just a little shaky and juddering - nothing horrendous. It's much as I found Saw really. Madame_Furie said she got a real ear beating, but she's shorter than me and probably wasn't "riding into the elements".

It does seem that there is a train issue, where one or more trains are abysmal. I was lucky (like Saw). I guess that's pot luck then.

The ride finishes with a quick flurry of inversions and you're home. The exit has a few extra painted bit and bobs and the shop is bright and happy with some great merchandise. there's also a CGI make yourself an advocate mirror thing.

I enjoyed it. I honestly, really enjoyed it. The problem is "it's cheap" (see I said I'd get back to that). Everything is as little as needed to be done to make it as good as "required". Everything. The coaster itself by Gerstlauer, the bare concrete, the plastic looking "metal doors", the 3D "inside theming". It's all good ideas, executed as cheaply as possible. It's a Kinder surprise toy when you were promised a Scalextric. It somehow works though to produce a fun, engaging experience. The duelling helps (did I mention the duelling, I love it - have another photo) massively:
aafa6d6f405a265a8473df65.jpg

The ride sits alongside Rita, Air and Sonic I think. It's a competent ride and will offer bags to those who enjoy what it offers. If you love Saw, then The Smiler will blow you away. For the rest of us, it's exactly what you were expecting - it's a slightly rough, inconsistent, Gerstlauer multi-looper with a (sometimes) great setting. I'll ride Rita every time I go with new people; and Air and Sonic. Yet most days on park I just ignore them. The Smiler will fit in here with those rides, only I probably have a little more love for it than those - we'll see how it beds in over time.

The public seemed to love it. They don't know what to expect and the effects developed (the sound, queue under the track, duelling cars, dizzying mind **** on the ride, etc) will make them really appreciate it. It will be as big a hit as Air and Rita is with the general public. So Alton have a winning coaster on their hands, but another where enthusiasts will be generally disappointed. Once again Merlin showing us they can get away with a lot less than we expect of them ;)

It's easily a 7/10 coaster, and realistically an 8/10 if "you like that kind of thing". If you had a bad train, probably a 0/10 :lol:

It appears I've written a full review there (CTRL+A :lol: ). Well worth coming to Alton this year for, not worth more than an hour queue for your first go ;)

Jer

Strata Poster
I dont get this ride, what is the themeing supposed to be?

Also im not sold on the ride, it looks a bit crap. It also sounds a bit crap

tomahawk

Strata Poster
For me, reverse pov's show how much head banging, which is why I want to see one.

Also Ethan who gives a **** if it's better than anything in Kansas, it's Kansas. I made my opinion by looks, which hasn't changed since they put in the sub Six Flags level theming.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Jer said:
I dont get this ride, what is the themeing supposed to be?

I wish I knew. It works (mostly) when you're in the queue, but still makes no sense.

Jer said:
Also im not sold on the ride, it looks a bit crap. It also sounds a bit crap

I did put it above, but I'll try and neaten it a bit. It's very similar to most of Alton's stuff. It's "interesting" if not great. It's very British I guess, where they work on gimmick or something unusual rather than balls to the wall brilliant. It worked with Nemesis and hasn't any other time :lol:

tomahawKSU said:
For me, reverse pov's show how much head banging, which is why I want to see one.

Madame_Furie suffered it bad. I didn't, but I'm not going to claim it was smooth :lol:

toahawKSU said:
I made my opinion by looks, which hasn't changed since they put in the sub Six Flags level theming.

Haha! I thought exactly the same when I hit the station area. It reminded me very much of a Six Flags botch job. Like Dark Knight only worse. It's just underwhelming. Like, if you're going to make so little effort, don't bother at all :lol:

Yet I'll say again, I loved the atmosphere of it all. It's a "you have to be there" thing maybe :lol:

Here's the off-ride, if you look at about 50 seconds in, you'll see why I adore the duelling aspect. Gorgeous to watch :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duZO0DyHj8M[/youtube]

Peter

Hyper Poster
I echo furies comments about the interaction between the two lift hills. Everyone was shouting between the trains, especially on the first couple of public rides when it was just goons riding. :p

One of my favorite dueling moments was when you entered the brake run just before the vertical lift hill. On my first ride, just as you slowed down the other train would come from behind and barrel roll right over the top of your head. My second ride the other train was no where to be seen - its a shame the dueling aspect is so hit and miss, although I guess that's part of the fun!

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Just on my way back from Alton now so just a few words and I'll write something more detailed tomorrow. Mainly I'm just supprised how positive everyone's reviews have been so far. I found it incredibly rough, moreso than Saw even. The exit of the cobra roll is also pretty painful. Maybe I had the 'bad train'. Even the non-goons I was with found it very rough. Good points include the dueling aspect which really is beautiful to watch offride, but I didn't bother queuing for a reride.

Snoo

The Legend

Screaming Coasters said:
I can totally see why people say that it just looks out-and-out crap.. People have to look cool on these forums.

Nope. I said it looks like crap because it actually does look like crap. Inversion after inversion after inversion just.. meh. After riding Iron Shark a week ago.. with better restraints then the other Gerstys I've been on.. safe to say like most that I've seen.. this will be yet another big new huge build up ride that ends up disappointing.

And don't worry Ethan, I live in Ohio. ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
I thought it looked awesome in the videos, but from the sounds of it, another disappointing secret weapon after Th13teen.

Well third times the charm. SW8 cool)

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Went to it first thing and the queue was 120 minutes so I waiting until later and queued for 100 minutes. Once you get into the main queue it's awesome although you are caged in from all sides it's cool to watch the ride. You then enter the indoor queue which is tacky but good because its so tacky! The station it's self is bright and a bit dull. I wasn't expecting the ride its self to be great as its a Gertslauer I was expecting it to be very rough the first part of the ride impressed me however. The first drop into the heart line roll is awesome! The coaster did not seem that rough. The second half was much of a muchness until the cobra roll after that my ears got a serious banging! That's the ride! I like the blurred sign as you re-enter the station.

The exit reminded me of a slightly better version of X's corridors but I liked it because it looked tacky again! The shop was big and bright and sold some interesting tat!
Overall The Smiler is an easy 7/10 and is my second favourite coaster at Alton.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Nemesis of oblivion said:
but from the sounds of it, another disappointing secret weapon after Th13teen.

Although my overall thoughts have been 'meh' so far, I'd have to disagree with that statement. Th13teen was disappointing as it was billed as something it most clearly was not. Instead of being a "psycoaster", it was just a family coaster with a gimmick. If anything, The Smiler is much more of a "psycoaster" than Th13teen ever was or ever will be.

The point is, The Smiler matched every expectation I had going into it. It neither fell short or exceeded them. To me, that doesn't make it disappointing.

The Smiler is if anything a successful coaster - it's had positive reviews from the public, the reaction has been great, it's got people talking and wanting to visit the park and it's not left anybody majorly disappointed. That's exactly what Alton aimed for and it's working.

Away from that, this morning I woke up to a very sore set of shoulders having being squashed down and thrown around in the restraints. Delightful.

Brookes

Giga Poster

Snoo said:
Screaming Coasters said:
I can totally see why people say that it just looks out-and-out crap.. People have to look cool on these forums.

Nope. I said it looks like crap because it actually does look like crap. Inversion after inversion after inversion just.. meh. After riding Iron Shark a week ago.. with better restraints then the other Gerstys I've been on.. safe to say like most that I've seen.. this will be yet another big new huge build up ride that ends up disappointing.

And don't worry Ethan, I live in Ohio. ;)

I don't really think it's fair to say it looks crap because it's inversion after inversion. If so, you'd have to think the majority of B&M multi-loopers are crap because they are inversion after inversion...

Snoo

The Legend
Nah.. it's fair because I'm not a huge fan of that unless it blends well. This clearly does not. And every Gersty I've been on has been mediocre at best, with Mystery Mine being the only saving grace and thats because of theming. Standing alone it would suck.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Seriously though guys (well, the US members), you really do have to view the ride in situ to appreciate the scale of it. Aesthetically it's absolutely ridiculous.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
It really isn't an issue. I feel much the same about rides like Wild Eagle. You just know what level of personal interest they garner with you. If The Smiler hadn't been in the UK, my interest would have been "looks meh, probably Gerst painful, I don't care much beyond that". Riding it would not have yielded much more other than "yeah, you're right. It's nice off-ride"

It's a perfectly fine coaster with some faults. No real mystery and no reason for somebody unlikely to ride it for years to get excited about.

By the time they do, your opinion will match theirs ;)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Mike

Giga Poster
furie said:
By 9:30, the staff already had the queue listed as 3 hours and the ride hadn't even opened yet. It's rare for a ride in this country to make such a splash... Cheers went out as the ride started testing.

Where has that topic about rides not opening with park opening got to? :roll:

Plus, I miss Black Hole! :p

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Did they ever salvage the Black Hole's entrance Arch or is it scrapped? I remember the excitement on Towers Times when it was like the last thing standing in the destruction process.

Anyway I'm still looking forward to riding it. Not a towers fanboy, but I'm a Saw the ride lover. Should be fun :wink:

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
I might as well post my full review as BGT is boring me.

After leaving Cambridge at 6:20 this morning, I knew it would be a long day with at least one long queue, I did hope that the rest of the park would be empty (which it was to a certain extent, I will post an actual trip report in the trip reports section of CF later).

Arrived at Alton Towers at 8:50ish and had to wait for burdenous ATTACKHAMMER so the masses of people Furie mentioned got in there first. The temporary queue line was full completely and we assumed (rather stupidly) that the inside queue line would also be full so we decided to head over to Forbidden Valley and hope The Smiler would empty slightly at lunch.

Once we had lunch we headed back with a rather poorly ATTACKHAMMER, every sign was saying 180 minutes. We would just have to "Grin and Bear it" (tehehe). We were in the temporary queue line for about an hour in total, the ride ops appeared oblivious to why it was delayed although I didn't believe a word of it. The dueling from here was amazing:

983996_10200755929174970_29565282_n.jpg

Once in the queue area itself I was blown away by the sheer scale of the coaster. Colossus is big but you don't realise it like you do with The Smiler standing under the track. It really is an amazing experience to behold. I really like the whole caged in effect, the caging above the queue line really added to the idea we were all being taken to be marmalised with no way out. Brilliant.

By this stage ATTACKHAMMER was getting seriously hacked off by the theme music but that is another aspect I absolutely adored. Brilliant. I also heard (only once though) a marmalised version of the Alton Towers' theme tune which, guess what, I also LOVED!

The Gerstlauer roar was brilliant. Standing directly beneath the track as one of the trains (which must be immensely heavy) thundered above. LOVED IT!

601135_10200755963735834_1685985354_n.jpg

970921_10200755967855937_1408693822_n.jpg

It was then into the 'shack' (that's the name I'm giving it anyway). I don't like to but I am going to disagree with Furie, to me the effects and stuff added to the whole illusions aspect of the coaster, the projections on the 3D walls was different and I really liked them. At the time I never looked at them and thought they were a cheap addition but it is unusual for me to look for the bad stuff.

Up the stairs into the loading station which felt plastically now you come to mention it. Once sat in the train I was feeling only positivity, the seat was comfortable, I was front row, and I was about to finally ride the Smiler. Bright lights shone on and we were off! I was sat firmly in my seat as we hurtled round the first inversion inside, good start! Comfortable so far.

The first half was more enjoyable than the second in my opinion, before the second lift hill i wasn't thrown around at all and it was very comfortable. I also couldn't believe how many inversions we were being thrown round in such a small time! I was planning on counting them as we passed through each one. No chance. The second half was less enjoyable but I'm still not complaining, the cobra roll was painful, too painful so hopefully improvements here will be forthcoming at some point.

When getting off I really liked the rainbow stairs to get into the shop (must be my inner goon). Was similar to X in the exit as ATTACKHAMMER already mentioned, a better version I hasten to add. I liked the Smiler shop, genius idea of the QVC style selling stuff :p

Anyway, that's my account/review of the Smiler, in my opinion Air is still the best coaster at Alton Towers but The Smiler is now second, I just prefer it to Nemesis. I haven't yet travelled the world in search of coasters so my measly 46 creds are from the UK, The Smiler ranks third (1st Air, 2nd The Swarm).

I can't wait to ride the Smiler again, but I shall wait for it to die down which it inevitably will later in the season/next season.

Sorry for boring you, hope you enjoyed my review!