What's new

Six Flags to close 15 rides in the chain after 2020

TilenB

Strata Poster
Honestly hope it gets relocated to another park instead of scrapped, preferably with improved trains. Those Giant Inverted Boomerangs have always fascinated me and I’d like to see them stick around.
Agreed! I thought it was a great ride when it was still running in SFMM. Such a shame that the new trains have completely ruined it, as I don't think I've heard a single good review of it after the switch was made.

Rupert

Mega Poster
I never rode it before the new trains, but I really hope it sticks around too.

One of the most insane experiences I’ve had at a theme park - there are coasters you get off and take a few minutes to work out what the hell just happened, and Goliath was definitely one of them. It was uncomfortable and pretty bashy on the head, but what a ride despite that - induced sheer terror and laughter at how mad the whole process felt. I think I’d most compare it to drop towers - the anticipation from being pulled up the towers before being let go made it much scarier to me than most other coasters, and the vertical nature of the towers compared to the incline of normal boomerangs added to that.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Love this news. It's time for that thing to go.

I've done it with both sets of trains, and the experience is much better with the originals. That being said, while the ride was decent and intense, it was never the greatest thing in the world. I understand the sentiment about somehow preserving it for the novelty factor, but the ride got so bad that it doesn't deserve a second chance lol.

Would be nice if they got rid of Flashback while they're at it and open up even more space for a good cred.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
I'm sure a smaller park would really benefit from Goliath- at New England it looked pretty useless. Literally right next to another boomerang.
They look like pretty huge rides so it certainly would be a magnet to the GP for the smaller parks. I'd be surprised if it wasn't sold, obviously they are not too hard to relocate.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
According to Screamscape, SFNE appears to be retiring Goliath:

All I see is the sign going down. It seems to me that maybe they're either adding a new logo or, maybe, renaming it back to Deja Vu.

It has been 20 years since it first opened. ;)

(dang kindle autocorrect put "Cena By" instead of Deja Vu. Oof.)

Peet

Giga Poster
Double post, but we have confirmation that two rides have reached the end of the line.

SPLASHWATER FALLS, SIX FLAGS OVER GEORGIAView attachment 12799
This looks more like maintenance work to me, neatly cutting out a lower section of track would be an odd way to begin a demolition job...?

Edit - I just looked up this ride and it hasn't operated since 2018 apparently.

DropDeadFuzzy

Roller Poster
This looks more like maintenance work to me, neatly cutting out a lower section of track would be an odd way to begin a demolition job...?

Edit - I just looked up this ride and it hasn't operated since 2018 apparently.
Newer photos show the whole ride structure has been removed

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Sky Buckets - SFOG
Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster - SFDK
Tidal Wave - SFMM
Moon Antique Car Ride - SFSTL
Superman: Tower of Power - SFSTL
(Possibly) Goliath - SFNE
Giant Wheel - SFDL
Go-Karts - SFSTL
Tidal Wave - SFSTL
Splashwater Falls - SFOG

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
(Possibly) Sky Buckets - SFOG
Tidal Wave - SFMM
Giant Wheel - SFDL
Go-Karts - SFSTL
Tidal Wave - SFSTL
Splashwater Falls - SFOG
St. Louis really got the short end of the stick, didn’t they?

CoasterDave

Roller Poster
(Possibly) Sky Buckets - SFOG
Tidal Wave - SFMM
Giant Wheel - SFDL
Go-Karts - SFSTL
Tidal Wave - SFSTL
Splashwater Falls - SFOG
sky buckets have been stripped of the cables so it prob not coming back

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I found a list with a lot more rides on it apparently, and I've combined the 2:

SFStL: Superman Power of Tower, Moon Antique Cars, Go-Karts, Tidal Wave

SFDK: The Ark, Seaside Tours, Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster, Skycoaster, Tasmanian Devil

Great Escape: Giant Wheel

SFDL: Giant Wheel

SFA: ZoomAzon Falls

SFOG: Splashwater Falls, Sky Buckets

Frontier City: Tumbleweed

SFGAm: Crazy Bus

SFNE: Goliath?????

SFMM: Tidal Wave

That's 18 out of 15, however, so here's my guesses to the 15:

Superman Tower of Power, Moon Antique Cars, The Ark, Seaside Tours, Crazy Coaster, Skycoaster, Tasmanian Devil, Giant Wheel, Giant Wheel, ZoomAzon, Sky Buckets, Tumbleweed, Crazy Bus, Goliath, Tidal Wave.