What's new

"Now Showing"

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Still playing catch up here! Watched Bee Movie last night.

Maxi-Minor_Furie loved it, but I don't know why..? It's an odd film (not bad at all, just odd). A lot of kids films subtly try to appeal to both adults and kids (Shrek is a good example, it either works on two levels, or just appeals to an adults more base humour). Bee movie seemed to just shoe-horn adult aimed jokes into though. It's bumbling along (see what I did there?) as a typical, run of the mill kind of kids cartoon film, then suddenly there's a scene which only an adult would really get. It's not rude or lude or anything, it's just dull adult type stuff.

Still, it's a pretty film, it does the job and the time passed quickly so it must have been okay. Why does the main character look like Hugh Jackman though?

039_47388~Hugh-Jackman-Posters.jpg
Bee_071207101643224_wideweb__300x375.jpg

3/5

Snoo

The Legend
furie said:
Snoo would love this film, and the plot is simple enough for even Taylor! Win win! 8/10 for entertainment value!

As I mentioned after the movie, it is 300.. with less talking and better deaths. Epic win. :p

And I did love it.. haha

Super Troopers

I hadn't seen this movie in a LONG time and finally downl... rented it from my local store.. and it was funnier then ever.

10/10.. one of my favorites.. with no killing too!

David

Mega Poster
I finally watched Airplane earlier.

It was brilliant, one of the few comedies that manages to be consistently funny from start to end. Although it isn't my favourite comedy every made, it is still well up there.

10/10.

mrclam

Giga Poster
SnooSnoo said:
Super Troopers

I hadn't seen this movie in a LONG time and finally downl... rented it from my local store.. and it was funnier then ever.

10/10.. one of my favorites.. with no killing too!

:smackbottom:

Snoo would love this film, and the plot is simple enough for even Taylor! Win win! 8/10 for entertainment value!

Haha, Rambo is so not my thing though. I'm mostly into horror, fantasty, and comedy, with action coming in probably second last, only to beat out science fiction :p .

I'm SO excited to watch my 1982 version of Sweeney Todd tonight! I hope it's $40 well spent, let's put it that way! And I have also borrowed No Country for Old Men, Wedding Crashers, and Harold and Kumar 2 (which I have already seen) from my boyfriend so I will watch those as well.

Oo and I can't wait for the Strangers to come out on DVD, which should be really soon for us.

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I watched two films yesterday, both were great, but unfortunately, I was quite tired, particularly while watching the second film so I couldn't appreciate it as much as I could've done. Never mind.

Anyway, first was Trainspotting.

Probably the best British film I've seen, I loved it. The story was great, and the scene where he was trying to go cold-turkey was brilliant (that's not a spoiler, it's part of what the main plot of the film is about). Other scenes were just great fun to watch. Although I could hardly hear a word Begbie was saying lol, but he was still an awesome character.

9/10.

I then saw Twelve Monkeys, starring Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt.

It got in the main plot immediately as the film started which was unusual, and it was really enjoyable from start, visually amazing. One of the best scenes of the film was soon to follow, the one being with Brad Pitt of course, simply because he played his character SO brilliantly, which was very surprising. Compared to him, Bruce was just average... as usual. Like I said earlier, I was tired, yet I still found it quite easy to follow, even with all the back and forth time-travel, and the final scenes were a great way to end.

8½/10.

Oh I also saw Starship Troopers recently, and well, that was just insane that film, but still great! Completely over-the-top entertainment, with some great special effects and gruesome scenes.

8/10.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
King Kong

This was on TV last night, and I've not seen it in a while so...

I really like this film. I think it has some incredible special effects and some great dialogue.

I really like the way the film is structured. There seems to be serious sections, funny sections, emotional sections and just generally impressive sections.

Overall a good film, made better by the amazing effects. 9/10

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (1982)

Spent almost $40 on this thing, so I was thinking that it better be good, and it was of course. Anything to do with Sweeney Todd is good, and this was filmed pretty neat. It was just like watching a musical in a theatre, and I really loved Mrs. Lovett in this one! I was use to Johnny Depp playing Sweeney, but this guy did a great job too, and overall the movie was pretty good. I like the one that came out last year better, but they're both awesome!

8/10

nadroJ

CF Legend
I've been cinema a few times and rented some shiz, so this'll be a bit of a long one (for me anyway)

The Strangers
Was so bored I almost walked out. The whole film was just 'ooh look a scary man' or 'omg where's he gone?' literally, the WHOLE of the film was a game of hide and seek. Do not see this if yo want to be scared, do see if you want to be bored and are excited by the prospect of an hour and a half of Liv Tyler making 'o' shapes with her stupidly massive lips. In other words, it sucked.

Step Brothers
This made me laugh so so much, and it took away from the awkward situation I was in which was I was in the cinema alone with my male friend and was finding it hard to assure myself this was NOT a date. But yeah, really funny and typically Ferrel if you like Anchorman and Blades of Glory it's the same kind of silly humour, same cast =] Wicked.

Along Came A Spider

I haven't actually finished this yet but it's realy OhMyGosh amazing so far. Full review when I've finished watching =]

Johnny

Hyper Poster
I saw Step Brothers too, and well, there were a few chuckles, but seriously, nothing that made me crack up. The final scenes and the ending, were awful. Not funny at all.

I even came to a point where I just collapsed my head onto my hand and groaned with boredom.

6/10.

thx

Mega Poster
Got tickets for 3€ for 3 movies at a new cinema that opened, somewhat nearby, 6 miles away, they had a quite limited show list for the first week (when you have to use the tickets) so I ended up watching:

Journey to the center of the Earth 3-D: It was quite cheesy and predictable, unrealistic, but still I managed to enjoy it as it had a childish sense of adventure that reminded me of myself some years back, that was sweet.
It had too much CGI, it was quite a nice watch, but one you'll forget soon after, also they used the 3-D effect a bit too much meaning SPOILER there was way too much things flying right in your sight
I'll give it 6/10 for the touch it made on me, neutrally thinking I'll give 5/10 for the movie.

Ce que mes yeux ont vu: it means something like, 'what the eyes see'. Yet the finnish title was 'a woman lost in the painting' and yes I was stupid enough to buy a ticket only based on the exciting looking flyer :lol: It looked like it would some sort of surreal thriller, but I was about totally wrong :lol: .
So instead it was a movie of a woman studying old paintings and struggling in different ways. It was all right, had a quite gripping atmosphere, nice screenplay, but the plot was a bit stupid, yet the actors were good. It was better than I expected, once I had found out what I had bought a ticket for, and usually I don't go watch movies like this.

6.5/10

In Bruges: Great black comedy, really enjoyed that it was not set in New York (yawn) or so forth, the setting added much to the movie. The actors were good (enough) and it had nice humour, 'excitement' and action, with a interesting plot. There isn't really much I can complain about it, maybe the very ending wouldn't have needed to 'go there', but that's just a pointless note. 8.8/10.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
I liked Step Brothers. Was funnier than a few of the more recent films done by that lot. There are just so many jokes in it that there have to be a few that you find funny. i'll give it a 7/10

Error

Strata Poster
My brother and I decided to rent Cloverfield

HOLY ****

It was interesting to see what a monster attack would look like through the eyes of those being attacked. Pretty much it seemed very real, being that the camera was just one that an anyman can get. The effects were stunning, and the story was simple but effective. SPOILER ALERTI HATED the ending, mostly because it didn't explain what it was. And everybody died.

All in all, it scared the **** out of me.

9/10

Spoiler alert added - come on! :lol: - furie

Snoo

The Legend
In Bruges

Well.. I heard it was funny from a professor.. so I kind of anticipated disappointment.. lol. But, it really wasn't bad. Not much shooting/killing.. which is the norm for movies I have seen recently. I wasn't a fan of the unresolved ending tho.. but it did kinda fit.

8/10

Emmett

Giga Poster
RocknRolla

Seeing as I enjoyed some of the gangster films Guy Ritchie had done in the past I said I would give this a go. But in the end I found the movie pretty average. All the characters stories and situations ended up being linked in someway just like in ‘Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrells’. The film also started off very complicated which ended it meaning you were lost all the way through trying to figure out who was who.
Also the whole idea of these gangsters sitting around in cafes all day playing pool in this day and age is a bit far fetched.

The plus points were that Gerard Butler was very good in it, although he could have toned down the Scottish accent. And the I liked the idea of the Russian businessman being an exact copy of Roman Abromovich.

Overall it was enjoyable but nothing special.

6/10

Johnny

Hyper Poster
Error said:
SPOILER ALERTI HATED the ending, mostly because it didn't explain what it was. And everybody died.
Spoiler alert: Well we don't know what happened to Lily. The possible sequel might tell us, but I dunno.

No, but if you think about it, it was a realistic ending. The whole film is entirely handycam filmed from the character. Had the ending been more detailed and thorough, it would've ruined the whole aspect of the handycam filming.

Spoiler alert maybe: There were so many parts of the movie that made the handycam-style look realistic; the little breaks between scenes, the shakiness, the date and time, the little clips of previous scenes that should've been overwritten, the visible focusing etc. Because of all these features, I think they pulled off the handycam effect brilliantly.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Some thnigs about the handicam ruined it though. You don't get breaks like that when recording to SD cards ;)

Also, the fact that on occasion, traditional filming techniques were used to build tension - it was all too set-up and ruined the realism. Generally, I thought the film overall was great, but there were certain bits were the suspension of disbelief were shattered.

Did you spot the bit at the end over Coney Island Error? If you didn't, watch it again...

mrclam

Giga Poster
I'd imagine cloverfield would REALLY suck on dvd..

It was the only film of recent years where i really felt "wow - this is great.. but i bet it only really 'works' in the cinema"

Lain

Giga Poster
I saw Hellboy 2 this afternoon. I found it a bit dull, and not as good as the first one.

Watchable, though, so it can have a 6.5/10.