What's new

Largest theme parks by area?

Sandman

Giga Poster
Every time I've scoured the internet for the answer to this question it has mistaken it for 'Most popular parks'. Does anyone know what the largest parks are by scale?

Snoo

The Legend
Disneyworld.. if you count the 'lands' together (around 25,000 acres or 39 square miles or 101 square kilometers). I've always thought of it as one big ol mess, which really there is no rival. If you're going park by park, not so much.

I do know Kings Island has one of the biggest, if not the biggest, total real estate owned by a non-Disney park. Something like 3x size of the actual park itself off in the woods? I know a few geeks on here who could expand upon that.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
A few years ago, Six Flags Great Adventure claimed to be the largest theme park by aera, when it changed the separate safari park so it became part of their regular park line up. I checked this just now and it seems it no longer is according to the SFGAd Wiki page:
On August 30, 2012, Six Flags combined its 160-acre (65 ha) Great Adventure Park with its 350-acre (140 ha) Wild Safari animal park to form the 510-acre (210 ha) Great Adventure & Safari park, making it the second-largest theme park in the world, after Disney's Animal Kingdom.
If Wiki is a trusted source, the answer is Animal Kingdom. I couldn't be arsed to find out how big DAM is.

Edward M

Strata Poster
Ian said:
A few years ago, Six Flags Great Adventure claimed to be the largest theme park by aera, when it changed the separate safari park so it became part of their regular park line up. I checked this just now and it seems it no longer is according to the SFGAd Wiki page:
On August 30, 2012, Six Flags combined its 160-acre (65 ha) Great Adventure Park with its 350-acre (140 ha) Wild Safari animal park to form the 510-acre (210 ha) Great Adventure & Safari park, making it the second-largest theme park in the world, after Disney's Animal Kingdom.
If Wiki is a trusted source, the answer is Animal Kingdom. I couldn't be arsed to find out how big DAM is.

580 acres is how big it is. It is, by most sources considered, the largest theme park in the world.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
I seem to remember reading that geuga lake was pretty big, towers can't be far off one of the largest?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Geauga Lake was, at some point, much larger than Animal Kingdom. Since it has shrunk by some 99.9 % or more since then (there's still a water slide or something operating there, right?), Animal Kingdom has taken its place. Then again, that is mostly due to the enormous safari area. Next on the list, I don't know, but King's Island and Great Adventure seem to be worthy contenders.

Do anybody know if some of the Chinese theme parks could be up there? Any place that operates an amusement park and a safari-style zoo combined will easily eat up a lot of land, like Animal Kingdom (for instance, Norway's largest amusement park is also a zoo, it's thrice the size of TusenFryd). There appears to be quite a few places like that, so I doubt Animal Kingdom is very far removed from the next park on the list.

TilenB

Strata Poster
^ Water slides closed earlier this week. There's officially nothing left there (apart from the SBNO Big Dipper)... How big was the park in its peak? Wiki says 550 acres, which is 30 acres less than Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Poslano z mojega ONEPLUS A3003 z uporabo Tapatalk

Ketchup

Mega Poster
If we're just going by the park alone rather than the parking lot and any other stuff like resort properties or waterparks, I'd imagine BGT has to be up there. Even excluding the massive wildlife reserve in the centre of the park, it seems like a huge place.

Kings Island, Magic Mountain and Alton Towers are other parks I've been to that immediately spring to mind.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ BGT is 335 acres.

Wikipedia is also reporting 364 acres for Kings Island, but as Snoo said: they sit on a lot of remaining, undeveloped land.

Of interesting note, Cedar Point is 365 acres - so both Ohio parks are roughly the same size at present.

BigBad

Mega Poster
In thinking about this, I think it's important to differentiate between largest park by area and largest park by area available to guests. What I mean is that, while this could be that I'm much more familiar with the former, Great Adventure doesn't seem all that spread out, while when I'm at Hersheypark I feel like I have to walk forever to get across.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
TilenB said:
^ Water slides closed earlier this week. There's officially nothing left there (apart from the SBNO Big Dipper)... How big was the park in its peak? Wiki says 550 acres, which is 30 acres less than Disney's Animal Kingdom

Wikipedia seems to lean on two sources, as it cites two different numbers. In the overview table, it says 550, but a bit further down in the text, it quotes ThemeParkTourist stating a peak size of 700 acres during the Six Flags Worlds of Adventure days. It is possible that the difference is accounted for if you consider that the former Sea World Ohio part of the park was closed as soon as Cedar Fair bought the park, so it was never that big under the Geauga Lake name. It could also be that the 150 acres are comprised by the actual lake.