What's new

Hersheypark lists Roller Soaker for sale

bmac

Giga Poster
In news that surprises just about anyone who even cares, Hershey has unofficially confirmed that Roller Soaker will be leaving the park at the end of the year. Here's a nice catch for the rich people, you can buy it yourself for only $800,000. See Here

A

Anonymous

Is the only point of this ride to get soaked? With a top speed of 20mph, it doesn't appear to be all that exciting!

bmac

Giga Poster
that's really all it is. A glorified roller coaster with a water ride problem. If I remember right wasnt Vikingar @ PBB considered a roller coaster?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The wooden side-friction chutes used to be on RCDB, then Duane decided that they shouldn't be after all. No idea on the decision there, but I'd say that they're no more a coaster than say the Intamin plunge rides which I also don't think are coasters.

Rollersoaker is only barely a coaster too...

bmac

Giga Poster
rollermonkey said:
Apparently there's been a retraction by the ride broker.

I'm guessing they spilled the beans before they were supposed to.

Don't know why it would be so important to keep it secret, it gives potential buyers more time to consider buying it instead of having to make a last second decision over the winter. By the way I don't think the hardware (water plumbing) is going to come along with this ride...

Intricks

Strata Poster
Kathy has come out and said that all this talk about Roller Soaker leaving is FALSE and that we need to not be following stupid rumors.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Lebanon Daily News said:
Hersheypark officials are not selling one of the amusement park's roller coasters.
An online report at themeparktourist.com indicating that the Roller Soaker was listed on the ride exchange service Rides4U, with a price tag of $799,000, turned out to be a mistake, a park official reported on Thursday.

"The ride is not for sale," Hersheypark spokeswoman Kathy Burrows said.

Hersheypark officials had been contacted by a company that indicated another party was interested in buying the ride, Burrows explained. But Hersheypark wasn't interested in selling it.

The company that contacted Hersheypark officials "jumped the gun" and listed the ride for sale, she said, adding that the company has removed the ride from its listing and has apologized to Hersheypark officials.

Burrows couldn't comment on the future of the ride, saying only that "it's going to stay for the season."

The amusement park unveiled the Roller Soaker in the northwest section of the park in the summer of 2002. The roughly 90-second ride allows riders - four to a car and armed with pots of water - to douse vulnerable spectators 50 feet below. Ground visitors also had access to a number of powerful water blasters along the roller coaster's path to retaliate for attacks from riders.

Setpoint Inc. of Ogden, Utah, designed and manufactured the 1,300-foot Roller Soaker, which cost nearly $8 million. At the time, it was the first such ride in the northeast.

Source: http://www.ldnews.com/latestnews/ci_213 ... ost_viewed

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
bellhop said:
Is the only point of this ride to get soaked? With a top speed of 20mph, it doesn't appear to be all that exciting!

Yup, that is the point but I've heard universally it's just a dreadful/boring ride.
So if you wanna get soaked just ride the River Rapids, it's probably more fun OR stand on the bridge for Tidal Force and skip lines all together!

Turned out to be false...DAMN! I was really excited about this one.

Nic

Strata Poster
Roller Soaker is being scrapped and recycled, not sold according to this article:

This summer, rumors surfaced that Hersheypark was selling the Roller Soaker on a Rides4U website for an asking price of $799,000. However, Burrows said at the time that the coaster was not for sale.

In fact, Aycock in Hummelstown is in the process of removing the Roller Soaker and will recycle as much as the metal as possible, Burrows said.
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index. ... oaker.html

The ride is being replaced by a 5000ft[super]2[/super] "sprayground" water play area.