What's new

Drayton Manor Resort Five Year Plan 2022 - 2026

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
https://lichfielddc-consult.objective.co.uk/file/5926647

This document was filed by Drayton Manor Resort in 2021 on the Lichfield District Council website.

To see what you want to see, scroll to the bottom of the document, where it should say:

Drayton Manor Park Five - Year Plan

I will go through each year now:
We already Know about 2022 so it doesn't matter.
• Finish the "Adventure Cove" theming, which has been the first investment phase of the park's new owners, Looping Group.
• Introduction of a new themed area on the unused part of Drayton Manor Park called 'The Triangle'. It is proposed that this are accommodates three new rides and an accompanying food unit
- Vikings Area
• Rejuvenation works to existing ride, "Maelstrom", including new harnesses, platform repair work and painting - New Ride Platform/Ramps
• New themed rooms within the Drayton Manor Hotel to encourage family use - Viking Themed Rooms
• Common areas within the Drayton Manor Hotel to be refurbished to make less corporate and more family / leisure friendly
• EDE to have a kitchen refit
• Knapford Station Buffet to be converted into a new food operation to support Gluten Free, Vegetarian and Vegan food options

• New replacement vehicle on an existing ride within Drayton Manor Park - Unknown
• New children’s ride within Drayton Manor Park - "Thomas & Percy's Submarine Splash" - Mini Log Flume
• Various projects within Drayton Manor Zoo to redevelop existing enclosures

• New rollercoaster within Drayton Manor Park - Intamin Custom Lift and Launch Coaster on the site of "Pandemonium"/"Apocalypse".
• Replacement ride within Drayton Manor Park - Flat ride in the same area as the new coaster - Effectively replacing "Pandemonium"/"Apocalypse".
• Replacement cars on an existing ride within Drayton Manor Park - "Shockwave" transformed to a Floorless Train along with new name, theme and story.
• Raised walkway between Thomas Land along the railway tracks connecting to Drayton Manor Zoo.

• Relocate a ride within Drayton Manor Park and introduce a new round platform ride to the vacated spot - Rumours suggest that the "Flying Dutchman" will move to a new location in "Adventure Cove", next to/behind "Air Race".

• Install holiday lodges originally proposed in 2016 to the south-west of the Drayton Manor Hotel. - Pegasus Website with more Info!

Edit 04/09/23: Seemingly these plans are lining up perfectly!

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
All sounds positive, good things ahead for the park.

Hope they don't touch shockwave but with the family friendly direction the park is taking, it is rather out of place. Can always hope for a Surf Coaster train on it. :)

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This is pipedreamy because of the refocusing of DMP, but a new coaster in 2024, the same year Nemesis 2.0 will open. If DM get something landmarky, we just need Blackpool to do the same and we’ve the 1994 Trinity happening again!

Wonder if the new cars on the existing ride will be Shockwave.

Matt N

CF Legend
Wonder if the new cars on the existing ride will be Shockwave.
I think there's a good chance of that. Rumours are swirling that Shockwave could be getting a sit-down conversion, and none of Drayton's other existing coasters are in dire need of new trains, as far as I can tell.

Unless the ride isn't a coaster, of course...

This also all but confirms that the Apocalypse replacement (or at least, something built in that general area) will be a roller coaster. It also appears to confirm that a second new ride will be joining the coaster.

Although it should be noted that that plan does not mention the removal of Apocalypse under 2022, so may not be 100% up to date.

Reactions: Ian

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
The 2023 new ride vehicle could very well be an update to Jormungandr as that thing is on life support and, if I remember correctly, the "new" train is just a retheme with no new hardware. So an update for next year makes sense. It's like opening up Vikings for year one, and giving it some minor touchups for year two. Jormungandr barely makes it out of the station.

Remember how there are two points on coasters getting new trains? One for 23 and one for 24.

I think 2024 instead will be the Shockwave update. I personally don't want to see Shockwave converted to sitdown but if it's something that needs to happen in order to keep the ride alive, then so be it. Intamin dipping their toe back into the standup would be cool too, it's the theme park industry anything could happen. Custom trains would most likely need to be developed either way due to the track style not being traditional Intamin. I'm sure that sitdown Shockwave would still be a great ride as those elements are fantastic & powerful, but they just hit different in that position. The ride would lose what makes itself unique and stand out from the rest of the UK's lineup.

If Shockwave were to receive sitdown trains, then an announcement for its "last stand" would at least make sense. Removing the most iconic aspect of the ride with zero notice probably wouldn't go well, especially if it's a thing planned a few years in advance. Again, if it's a thing that needs to happen to keep the ride alive, then it should happen.

The Shockwave refurb for 2024 would also make sense as it would be the ride's 30th anniversary but I don't know how relevant that is in the grand scheme of things.

Georgie-M

Mega Poster
Anyone feel like humouring the idea of the new Shockwave trains using the surf coaster design?

This is pipedreamy because of the refocusing of DMP, but a new coaster in 2024, the same year Nemesis 2.0 will open. If DM get something landmarky, we just need Blackpool to do the same and we’ve the 1994 Trinity happening again!
We're already getting the 1994 trilogy, it's just that the Big One's grown a few feet and moved to Chertsey! (Not to mention we've seemingly got that Legoland thingy in 2024 too.)

Niles

Giga Poster
As you've probably heard now the director has confirmed a new family thrill coaster in 2024, to include Apocalypse's site and be communicated "in a few week's time"; https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/new-family-thrill-rollercoaster-among-25967820
In that news article the director of the park said.

“One of the key things we want to say is that in 2024 there will be a new family thrill coaster coming. This is going to be one of the best coasters in the UK in my opinion."

Now defiantly take that with a pinch of salt because of course they are going to say it will be one of the best but I am intrigued, for a great family thrill coaster my mind goes to something like Juvelen which if themed nice and gives the same force I can see it being one of the best UK coasters.

Last edited:

Swat

Mega Poster
Really would love Drayton to look at the likes of Plopsa even without RTH, that level of thrill would fix the UK perfectly.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Still no news here, I'm really hoping it's something significant enough to put the park back on the map. If it were up to me (obviously, it isn't) I'd opt for a family accessible GCI, something along the lines of Wicker Man.

I really want this to be a bigger attraction that Storm Chaser. SC was a good investment for Paultons but Drayton needs something bigger.

Justin2000

Mega Poster
Still no news here, I'm really hoping it's something significant enough to put the park back on the map. If it were up to me (obviously, it isn't) I'd opt for a family accessible GCI, something along the lines of Wicker Man.

I really want this to be a bigger attraction that Storm Chaser. SC was a good investment for Paultons but Drayton needs something bigger.

Still rooting for a Vekoma Suspended Thrill Coaster. The 1.2m height limit is in line with Thor so it's not too extreme for the audience.