What's new

Cedar Point | Valravn | B&M Dive Machine

steel

Mega Poster
Re: Cedar Point Closes Good Time Theatre-B&M Dive Coaster 20

njn63 said:
steel said:
Yeah I get what you mean, but considering the cost of other major B&M models - $28m for Leviathan, $24m for Banshee, $25m for Gatekeeper... $15.6m for a coaster the size and power of Griffon is definitely in the realm of inexpensive as far as I'm concerned (and I assume that includes theming and stuff, which this one probably wouldn't have nearly as much of). That's a lot of coaster for your money.
You're comparing it to some of the most expensive coasters in the country. Pretty much anything is going to look cheap relative to those. :)
...I'm comparing it to three other coasters that were all built by B&M for Cedar Fair parks this decade. I don't understand what's not comparable there.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I know over on SSCoasters.net, one thought was thrown out that the $15M quote is for the roller coaster itself - labor, construction, landscaping not included.

It could very well be the case the roller coaster costs more... THOUGH Griffon did only cost $15.6M to build, so it could very well be that simply cheap!

_koppen

Hyper Poster

Hyde said:
I know over on SSCoasters.net, one thought was thrown out that the $15M quote is for the roller coaster itself - labor, construction, landscaping not included.

Out of the total amount spent on a coaster around 40% is for the actual coaster itself, which if true would make this a really big-a$$ ride. So don't believe that.

My guess is that it will be a smaller dive machine, or that they don't have a final price for it yet.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Well again, Griffon was $15.6M (Sheikra was even $13.5M) - $15M will indeed build a 200+ ft. dive machine.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

It's not accurate to compare the costs of those rides, especially Sheikra, unless you scale up for inflation.

Are those figures the cost of the rides at the time they were built?

Wasn't Oblivion £10m? Try building it for that much today.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Doing some quick toying around with inflation calculators:

$13.5M in 2005 equals $6M+ in 2015. For $15.3M in 2007, that equals $17M+ in 2015.

While these are differing values, I would still be interested as to how much the cost of a large-scale roller coaster is affected by inflation.

For instance, Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force both cost $25 million. Now $25 million spent in 2000 roughly equals $32 million in 2010. While I305 is indeed shorter in height and length (which would theoretically drop the price of the overall project), it would still be difficult to imagine the discount of having a shorter roller coaster to equal the tune of $7 million.

To add in another large roller coaster, Leviathan cost $28 million (I was sure to check it was USD and not Canadian) in 2012. While lower tech (chain lift instead of elevator lift), the price is still on par with similar category coasters, despite a large gap of time over which inflation has occurred.

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster

B&M dive machines = glorified floorless?

In terms of ride experience, wouldn't this be slightly redundant considering the Mantis → Rougarou conversion? Floorless cars (assuming that's how it will be), four inversions, B&M... just taller with extra wide trains and a vertical drop. Or does this proposal sound unique enough? That said, I'm down with a dive machine for Cedar Point.

Side note: One day I realized a possible reason why dive machines have relatively shorter track lengths compared to other major B&M coaster types. Something to do with the extra wide cars being less aerodynamic than the traditional two/four across seating? More air resistance = loses speed faster. But still a cool coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

It is definitely true - there are only so many ways you can ride a roller coaster. Sooner or later, things get repetitive.

But maybe to introduce the "GP are goons" rationale - will folks discern a difference? At Cedar Point, Raptor has always been heralded as feeling like you are flying. So how do folks react to Gatekeeper's introduction as giving the sense of flying on the wing of an airplane, what would otherwise seem redundant? With absolutely positive reviews!

Yeah, I think it's possible to pull a fast one, even if it would be right next door to a now-floorless roller coaster.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Also side note, here is the current construction progress:

cpcamera.jpg

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

Off-topic, but someone who is very creative and has very little to seemingly do after work has mocked up an RMC conversion of Mean Streak. If only... *sigh*

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbJF3ZxPRQ[/youtube]

Intricks

Strata Poster

I sure as hope CP sees this and is all:

"We do dis"

And make everyone happy as all hell.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster

THIS LOOKS **** AMAZING. And I've never even been on an RMC. :--D

coaster addict

Mega Poster

Cool track design, but Mean Streak is near and dear to me, for it was my first roller coaster, so I do not know if this (or anything) would do it justice. I'd want it to be the biggest and baddest RMC project ever - fastest, tallest, and longest... and it would need some unique elements that make it the very best! But, that is just my take.

coaster addict

Mega Poster

_koppen said:
A quick look shows that since Magnum was built Cedar Point have built 8 thrill coasters and 1 children's coaster.

Are there no families visiting this park? Don't they deserve a high quality family ride like Juvelen or Winjas?
I just don't see the point with another big thrill coaster at Cedar Point. If they really wan't another thrill ride why not fix Mean Streak?

I know that Flying Aces Aerial Chase is at 2 Cedar Fair parks, but it is surprising that CP does not have a children's inverted coaster. Also, can we get a children's coaster to do one inversion? :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

^ Those Vekoma Family Inverts were Paramount additions, not Cedar Fair. And considering the layout is the exact same as the Vekoma Junior Roller-skate (Woodstock's Express) - things may seem a bit repetitive.

coaster addict

Mega Poster

Certainly, the cost to design a unique track just for one ride is no cost-effective in this area, but one can dream. Of course, kids can just get their fix of varied elements on flat rides until they are tall enough for the big inverts.

KoasterEv

Roller Poster

Ohhh man. This would be a great addition. CP is seriously lacking in some badass B&M's. A dive machine would really polish off the variety in their already amazing collection of coasters. I hope this goes through!

Snoo

The Legend

I think a decently sized DM could fit where they want it. Of course, like every mans pipe dream, Mean Streak converted into Meaner Streak would be legendary. Having been on almost all RMC coasters, it would cover me in man goo if it happened.

KoasterEv

Roller Poster

Snoo said:
I think a decently sized DM could fit where they want it. Of course, like every mans pipe dream, Mean Streak converted into Meaner Streak would be legendary. Having been on almost all RMC coasters, it would cover me in man goo if it happened.

Completely agree with you on this one. Mean Streak has so much potential for an amazing RMC makeover. Anything is better than the "square-wheeled" ride that you get on it now. LOL :mrgreen: As for the Dive Machine - you're right. There's tons of room in there to put in something with a decent height / layout. The only thing I haven't been fond of with the DM's is the generally short ride time. I know the point is the holding break / vertical drop but something a little more lengthy is definitely welcome!