What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Christian

Hyper Poster
Seriously, if Iron Dragon survives this, it will be a miracle.

Im curious, what makes you think it's going?

My personal though is that they would have torn down more if it, if it was going. They should at least have scrapped the removed track pieces, not left them by the side. My guess is that TTD spike will go over Iron Dragon.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Im curious, what makes you think it's going?

My personal though is that they would have torn down more if it, if it was going. They should at least have scrapped the removed track pieces, not left them by the side. My guess is that TTD spike will go over Iron Dragon.
That could very well be the case - if anything, I would expect the TTD track to go over Iron Dragon on the spike, which would imaginatively spare the coaster.

Or

It could be that CP was doing what was most expedient time-wise, removing the Iron Dragon track portions immediately in the way, while saving the remainder removal for a later date.

Iron Dragon has dodged too many bullets to count over the years, and remains arguably one of the most space-maximized coasters out there. What used to be a nearly invisible layout (only the final figure-8 was visible when the coaster originally opened) had it's sightline opened up, bit-by-bit, as Mantis (Rougarou) and TTD moved in on it's turf. To survive a third major roller coaster additional overtop/near it's layout is quite remarkable.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
There’s no evidence to suggest this is anything other than creating clearance to get machinery around the site.
giphy.gif

RcTmix

Mega Poster
To be fair, the lift hill for Mantis was built directly over the top of Iron Dragon’s lift and station. I don’t see why they couldn’t manage to do the same with the suspected spike, especially considering we’ve seen sections of Iron Dragon’s track removed for maintenance before.

I also can’t see why CP would want to remove Iron Dragon as it’s one of the most family friendly coasters in the park, even with the 48” requirement.

Rupert

Mega Poster
To be fair, the lift hill for Mantis was built directly over the top of Iron Dragon’s lift and station. I don’t see why they couldn’t manage to do the same with the suspected spike, especially considering we’ve seen sections of Iron Dragon’s track removed for maintenance before.
Could it be that the pile-drivers etc for the required coffer dam are simply too big to fit around Iron Dragon, as opposed to the smaller equipment that would have been required for Mantis that could have been lifted or even driven in without affecting ID.

I’m presuming the height of the hypothesised spike requires a really huge foundation/combined footer that goes to a significant depth and requires machinery too big to fit under or crane over Iron Dragon. The entire weight of the spike will be coming down to this triangular footer, as opposed to the weight of Mantis’s lift hill which was spread over many smaller supports that wouldn’t have required the same foundation work.

znt

Roller Poster
yea, I'd be surprised if iron dragon goes. every time I visit it seems the line is spilling out into the midway so I can't imagine it'd be the ridership.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Ive been broswing the Intamin website and they have now claimed that their LSM´s can reach 124 MPH. Could this be for TTD?
I honestly doubt it sadly. I think Intamin and Cedar Fair's relationship has basically died since the 2010's. Shoot The Rapids, I305, Volcano, and the heavy amount of pain Intamin rides have inflicted on Cedar Fair parks would probably warn them off for a while. We can hope maybe one day they will get a chance at redemption.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I honestly doubt it sadly. I think Intamin and Cedar Fair's relationship has basically died since the 2010's. Shoot The Rapids, I305, Volcano, and the heavy amount of pain Intamin rides have inflicted on Cedar Fair parks would probably warn them off for a while. We can hope maybe one day they will get a chance at redemption.
Put another way, Jr. Gemini is the only Intamin roller coaster at Cedar Point which has not faced significant maintenance or modification issues. 😅