What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Qsilverrdc

Roller Poster
Sadly, with the way the triangular footers are aligned with the rest of the track, I don't think your 2nd Top hat wouldn't be supported enough.
Interesting, why would they be backward to expected force direction, with a spike? Check the centerline alignment.
I just have a difficult time with the time to cycle (riders per hour) that a spike would add. Just can't see that. Also the footerspacing is less than current tophat by about 10 ft. I just can't see a swing launch working here.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Interesting, why would they be backward to expected force direction, with a spike? Check the centerline alignment.
I just have a difficult time with the time to cycle (riders per hour) that a spike would add. Just can't see that. Also the footerspacing is less than current tophat by about 10 ft. I just can't see a swing launch working here.
I mean if they went with Zierer, the answer is simple:

1683218174172.jpeg

emoo

Hyper Poster
I enjoy all the speculation mockups and hope for the best. They all miss something helpful which is capacity, spending lots of time on one section tricky to block off. The original set up could churn trains through and still have a whopper of a queue.

cocoa

Mega Poster
ti increase capacity, you could make the train long enough to cover the entire track length like an omnimover. then you could save a lot of power pulling the cars up the hill because its compensated by the downward portion of the train, like an old timey pulley crane. plus, you could hop on and off wherever you liked

Fiender

Mega Poster
Whenever talking about TTD's capacity with a spike, they don't often mention how the original ride was broken down almost half the time. Even if the train cycle time is decreased with this updated version, the launch should be much more reliable, decreasing downtime, and increasing capacity as a matter of course.

Qsilverrdc

Roller Poster
Whenever talking about TTD's capacity with a spike, they don't often mention how the original ride was broken down almost half the time. Even if the train cycle time is decreased with this updated version, the launch should be much more reliable, decreasing downtime, and increasing capacity as a matter of course.
I think you should look at the reasons for the down time. True at the start it was the hydraulic launch system. That got sorted out. The down mostly came from sensors on the brake section(s) flags of the track. A switch track swing spike launch will not fix that issue.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I enjoy all the speculation mockups and hope for the best. They all miss something helpful which is capacity, spending lots of time on one section tricky to block off. The original set up could churn trains through and still have a whopper of a queue.
To push back a bit, Dragster didn't really have a sizeable capacity, even when operating at peak efficiency.

Let me explain: Launch system reset time. While TTD sports a 16 second "ride" time, the actual ride time from train in launch position to hitting the brake run is close to one minute. This is even longer for the second train (TTD dispatched two trains at a time, like Maverick), which had to wait for the catch car to return from the previous launch, as demonstrated in the below POV:

So while it's indeed a quick ride, the actual prep time to dispatch from system, setup in launch, wait for full launch system engagement, etc. adds a bonafide 15-30 seconds (not to mention waiting on the brake run if TTD was running 5 trains). So there's actually a lot of hidden wait time while riding; an LSM system could simplify the matter, as you don't have as long a prep time, and indeed could launch three times in close to the time it takes to launch once. Only time will tell, but will be interesting to compare at the end of the day.

Oh, and you wanna know what a swing launch ride that lasts just over a minute looks like? ;)

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
What Tony Clark has to say about this;
“That big, tall rollercoaster that we closed a few years ago — we are currently reimagining that ride, turning it into something different that our guests will love and enjoy,” Clark said. “We’re already working on the next roller coaster at the roller coaster capital.”

Clark said more details about the new coaster could start trickling out this summer.

“As a coaster enthusiast — but not a totally crazy coaster enthusiast — I am looking forward to it. I think it’s going to be an attraction that our guests will really love,” Clark said. “It’s going to provide that thrill, and in Cedar Point fashion — doing something that nobody else has done.”