What's new

Are you a film buff?

Are you a film buff? How many of the top 250 have you seen?

• Godlike 100% (250)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Definitely a buff 80%+ (200)

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • I'm pretty buff 60%+ (150)

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • In the buff 40%+ (100)

• I like Buffy the vampire slayer 20%+ (50)

• Bum fluff -20% (0-50)

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Added Kick-Ass to my collection yesterday, so I've watched 242 & own 236. :--D

Will

Strata Poster
Re:

I know, I know, everyone hates necroposting... but a year on, I'm intrigued to see if the answers have changed at all.
Will said:
18. Or sixteen and four halves....
Top 10: 8 (No idea why I've still not got around to watching Schindler's List...)
Top 25: 19
Top 50: 35
Top 100: 59
Top 200: 97
Top 250: 111

That's based on the current 250 list - but weirdly, I get the same total on Furie's spreadsheet. And yeah, whilst lovefilm have been doing exceptionally well out of my free nights over the last year, there've been a few surprises along the way - Chinatown and Rear Window both get honourable mentions in terms of making me reconsider my attitude towards anything 'old', as both kept my attention a lot better than many more recent things, and the humour had aged surprisingly well as well.

Also, if anyone still wants the Empire 500 in spreadsheet format, I found one (with one or two mistakes, be warned) here! I had 140 of those at last count :) There's some truly obscure choices towards the bottom of that list - many of which are worth a look, though the number of remakes/reboots etc. in there was annoying, 'new' Star Wars really does need to go away.

Aaron

Hyper Poster
I'm a big movie fan, but I also know what films I like, a lot of those on that list I want to see, but also a lot on there I have no interest in seeing!

56 out of 250... *cough*

Although I DON'T like buffy the vampire slayer! :p

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Re:

ciallkennett said:
61, and I only have actually been really into films for about a year now xD So not to bad really :p

But yeah, I suspect if this topic was made in about a year or so, my total would have tripled at least.

Well, it's been more than a year later and my total stands at (under the current IMDB Top 250): 81...

Oh dear Ciall...

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Az said:
I'm a big movie fan, but I also know what films I like, a lot of those on that list I want to see, but also a lot on there I have no interest in seeing!

56 out of 250... *cough*

But how do you know you don't like those films until you've seen them? I love challenging myself to watch a film I'd completely write off as "not being my thing" and then getting blown away by it. Casablanca is my personal "road to Damascus", but there have been quite a few others where I've been similarly converted to understanding why the films are so well rated.

Go on, give yourself a challenge Az, it's amazing what joy you can find :)

Mark

Strata Poster
Az said:

Shame on you! :twisted:

I've seen 95 of the 250... Not brilliant but meh... There are definitely a lot of films on that list that I have no real inclination to watch.

I may just avoid watching any further films from that list, since Im currently in the category, I like BtVS and I generally love that show :)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I'm now up to 171 from that original list, though I've seen some superb films not on it due to recommendations both here and in the film topic we have (mostly Gavin's suggestions actually :lol: ).

So that's 24 top 250 films for me in about a year, which isn't actually bad going considering I don't make any serious effort at all to watch them. Certainly an absolute eye opener in some cases (I still shudder thinking about Oldboy, and My Neighbour Totoro references at home always make me smile).

Mark, the Buffy reference is to the original film, NOT the series. I love the original film (I could never get into the series, too old I think), it's dreadful and cheesy but just really great fun. Obviously included because it's a film with the word "buff" in it :)

thx

Mega Poster
Apparently seen 88 from the list, which is actually a bit better than I expected before counting. However, I know I've seen loads of quite good movies being near to the 8.0 ratings by which, a bit selfishly, I would like to consider being more film interested than what "seeing only 88 from the imdb top250" might give for an impression.

peep

CF Legend
I like the idea of updating this.

Top 10: 7
Top 25: 20
Top 50: 37
Top 100: 56
Top 200: 99
Top 250: 115

I'm quite happy with that. I own at least another 10 on DVD I just need to get round to watching them.

EDIT: Apparently last time I posted 114. However I know for a fact I've seen more than just one since then from that list, maybe I lied a little last time as there are quite a few where I've only seen half of the film? :p

TarinMaria

Mega Poster
I've seen 99 on this list, but I reckon if someone did top fifty horrors or something, I'd be well above average... I might get a list of horrors and see if we can start up a topic on it :p

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
I was actually surprised how many I've seen. More than 50% of the top 100 movies. I'm actually kind of disappointed about my top 10 though, I may have to go watch The Shawshank Redemption and The second part of the Godfather.

Top 10: 5/10
Top 20: 10/20
Top 25: 12/25
Top 50: 27/50
Top 100: 53/100

Kebab

Giga Poster
I was quite surprised with my results personally! :)

Top 10 = 5/10
Top 20 = 11/20
Top 25 = 13/25
Top 50 = 27/50
Top 100 = 45/100
Top 200 = 77/200
Top 250 = 88/250

18 years and I've been through 88 of the top 250 films! cool)

nadroJ

CF Legend
See, I would say I am a film buff, but with regards to a certain type of cinema. I don't really dig Hollywood stuff, especially the classical, but I adore what I suppose you would call the 'cult' or alternative cinema. Like, Cronenberg, von Trier, Lynch, etc. People who make films with such a rich subtext that you have to think hard and watch the film over and over again to finally 'get' it.

I like a popcorn movie as much as the next person, but I don't find them very re-watchable. I like something with depth and substance.

Will

Strata Poster
^
In other words, something that deteriorates into indecipherable nonsense 40 minutes from the end, and that's on a GOOD day, but which after enough viewings you convince yourself you've uncovered the deep meaning of, when in actuality, no, it really WAS just indecipherable nonsense.
vlcsnap-1331660.png

The flipside of this particular coin is that while I'm arguing that much of the remaining half of the list doesn't deserve to be classed as 'popcorn movies', there's no denying that The Apartment was a total waste of 2 hours of my life.

Pingu on drugs

Roller Poster
I got 57. Quite a few of these films are fairly old, so before my time. Being 15, naturally I would usually watch more recent films, but I have watched some of the classics, like The Godfather (all parts), Blade Runner and Alien. So I think 57 is OK for me. I watch a lot of films, but honestly not very many of them are that good. I have also seen parts of films, like 2001: A Space Odyssey, but not from Start to finish. But who cares, the only film anyone will ever need is The Truman Show <3