What's new

Alton Towers | Nemesis Reborn | B&M Retrack | 2024

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Alton Towers have today submitted a planning application "seeking to confirm the lawfulness of maintenance works to the "Nemesis" ride, an existing roller coaster at Alton Towers Resort", according to TowersTimes:
Could this be for, or at least relating to, the heavily rumoured Nemesis retrack? And if it is, could it be for the ride's upcoming 30th anniversary in 2024, perhaps?

Archie

Mega Poster
I'm happy to hear that, nemesis has long needed some TLC but I'm quite sad that it might not be open for a long time

i

Great news that they are looking to extend the rides lifespan. I wonder if it is a full retrack.

I just hope the track remains the exact same I don’t want any re profiling at all.
doubt that they would re profile the track to a noticeable extent, maybe a tiny bit to accommodate the newer trains and equipment if it is a re track but not enough to actually change the ride.

I just hope if they re track and re train it. nemesis will still have its edge so to speak, it gets its charm from being aggressive and slightly unrefined. I worry that any major changes will take away its punch

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Is a retrack really heavily rumoured? I've heard it banded about on forums but always in a wishful thinking type of way. There's never any meat or source behind it. I have no clue what the planning document refers to but in my mind a Nemesis retrack is in the same category of 'rumour' as the Thorpe B&M hyper.

Matt N

CF Legend
For what it's worth, the person who filed the application is apparently the UK Resorts Project Lead within Merlin... so this could be something pretty big and/or something not just involving Alton Towers!

Matt N

CF Legend
I was thinking… is there even any other kind of maintenance besides a retrack or some sort of major structural overhaul that the park would even have to request planning permission for?

Coastr

Roller Poster
RMC confirmed: Wicked Nemesis Vengeance

As much as this is a joke and would never happen, and I'd rather this would never happen; I think it could actually be a cool concept to RMC the layout:

Maintaining the same layout, you could add a low to the ground heart-line roll at the top after the lift (Similar to Twisted Timbers or Untamed), keep the same first drop and corkscrew, keep the helix, keep the zero-g roll (Or change it to a massive airtime hill?), change the stall to an outer-bank stall, I know RMC/Alan doesn't like vertical loops so I have no idea what to do with that there, change the following over-bank after the loop to another outer-bank stall/dive inversion (Similar to the one seen on Exodus' plans/Untamed), and finally change the last corkscrew to a violent twisted ejector hill.

Just a fun thought and concept

Last edited:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
"Seeking to confirm the lawfulness of maintenance works."
Not sure I like the sound of that. Why would you need to check whether maintenance work is lawful or not? Why wouldn't it be?
See, I'd heard the rumour that Nemesis does indeed require some major renovation... but the version I heard suggested that carrying out said maintenance was prohibitively expensive, wouldn't be cost effective and therefore.... probably wouldn't be done! 😮

What if the maintenance isn't lawful? Than what? Will Nemesis be scrapped?
What if Merlin know Nemesis is f***ed, don't wanna spend the money to fix it and are looking for a way to absolve themselves of any blame?
"Hey, we'd love to keep Nemesis going for a few more years but we can't because the maintenance required is against the law. Sorry."
It's a horrible thought... but y'know... what if?

Matt N

CF Legend
Not sure I like the sound of that. Why would you need to check whether maintenance work is lawful or not? Why wouldn't it be?
See, I'd heard the rumour that Nemesis does indeed require some major renovation... but the version I heard suggested that carrying out said maintenance was prohibitively expensive, wouldn't be cost effective and therefore.... probably wouldn't be done! 😮

What if Merlin know Nemesis is f***ed, don't wanna spend the money to fix it and are looking for a way to absolve themselves of any blame?
"Hey, we'd love to keep Nemesis going for a few more years but we can't because the maintenance required is against the law. Sorry."
If it reassures you @Howie, Nick Varney has previously said that he “couldn’t imagine Alton Towers without Nemesis”, and some other high up staff have implied that Merlin would likely save Nemesis if it came to it.

Also, I shouldn’t imagine that any work done to Nemesis would be any more pricey than what they did to Colossos at Heide, and Merlin green lighted that getting a full retrack. They also green lighted the full retrack of Shaman at Gardaland. There’s definitely a precedent for this type of thing within Merlin, and I think that Nemesis is enough of a well-loved ride that they’d do it if it was necessary.

James F

Hyper Poster

We could get lucky, maybe they'll keep the loop as a memorial piece.

Sandman

Giga Poster
If Nemesis gets the deserving re-track at some point, I'd love for Forbidden Valley to get a general overhaul alongside it.
What was once the best themed area in the UK is a bit tired nowadays. Additional points if they finally replace replace Ripsaw (properly).
And on that note, surely there's an eco-friendly way that the blood waterfall can make a return?

Indy

Hyper Poster
"Lawfulness" could mean a lot of things and might just boil down to ensuring that they are allowed to do something without additional permits. For instance, I can't lawfully replace the storage shed in my backyard without getting a permit. It doesn't matter that I own the land and nobody can see the shed. As a resident of the city, I must apply and pay for a permit.

So, I have to wonder if A) they need a permit to make any sort of changes to the ride, or B) they might need a permit for a crane that might rise above the tree line.