What's new

Universal considering UK theme park in Bedford

SeanN90

Roller Poster
There will definitely be crossover but there will also be new things as you see in all parks

I’m just hoping it doesn’t go the way of Disneyland Paris…

Bowser

Mega Poster
I think you also understate the wealth of the average Brit. Over a million Brits visit Disney Orlando each year. I couldn’t find the stat for Universal but I suspect it’s similar since lots will do both at the same time.

I believe that number is visitors to Orlando generally, not specifically Disney though i think it's fair to assume the vast majority will be visiting at least one of the parks.

That's still tens of millions who do not visit, increased to hundreds of millions when you factor in European visitors who would be able to come to the UK versus the US.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
I’m a bit late to the party, but is it confirmed that this is happening?
Apparently we should know in June some time, at least that is when Universal suggest they will be making their decision, but that's not a solid deadline.

The government (cross-party) and Bedford local councils are supportive of it, because no credible politician is going to turn down what is apparently £10bn worth of investment (Ten Billion!!) and finally provide a replacement (and then some) for the jobs lost when the brickworks went.

All in all, it looks very likely to go ahead, but nothing is ever certain so I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

InvertsAreMyJam

Mega Poster
Apparently we should know in June some time, at least that is when Universal suggest they will be making their decision, but that's not a solid deadline.

The government (cross-party) and Bedford local councils are supportive of it, because no credible politician is going to turn down what is apparently £10bn worth of investment (Ten Billion!!) and finally provide a replacement (and then some) for the jobs lost when the brickworks went.

All in all, it looks very likely to go ahead, but nothing is ever certain so I wouldn't bet on it just yet.
Interesting. Universal seems to be making a lot of investment lately. Epic Universe, that park in Texas, and now (potentially) this.

Ollie

CF Legend

Universal UK: Planning submission being prepared​

Universal has confirmed that it is preparing a planning application for its proposed new theme park in Bedfordshire.

Universal Destinations & Experiences (UDX) said that it was “carefully considering” feedback received during as recent public consultation.

That month-long consultation process ended on Friday.

“Whilst we still haven’t made any final decisions on whether or not to proceed with the project, we have spent the past several months undertaking feasibility and due diligence work,” UDX said.

The Comcast-owned business added that it had consulted “local and national” stakeholders and local communities on the plans.

“We are now carefully considering the feedback we received during the engagement period and preparing our planning submission,” UDX added.

Lucy Frazer, Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, is sponsoring the proposed theme park within the UK government.

The government could decide on the project instead of local authorities, if the theme park is categorised as a special development order (SDO).

Unconfirmed reports emerged late last year of a planning application being expected at some point in 2024
Source

Swat

Hyper Poster
New documents uploaded following the consultations and surveys.

Over 6000 survey results with a 92% For, 4% unsure and a 4% no score.

Key takeaways:
• The public engagement period for our proposed theme park and resort in Bedford has ended.
• We are assessing the detailed feedback we received but are delighted to see evidence of such strong public support.
• Close to 1,500 people attended our public events and over 6,000 responded to our survey – with 92% supportive. We have also engaged directly with nearly 100 local organisations.
• There is strong support for the economic impact a generationally transformative project of this scale could bring, including investing billions of pounds and unlocking wider investment.

spicy

Giga Poster
That is extemely encouraging that 92% of the locals that responded voted in favour of the resort.

I will say though 6,000 responses seems quite low (Bedford population is almost 200k)

Does sound like they are making a decision pretty soon whether to give this the green light. Keep everything crossed until then! 🤞

FogZog

Mega Poster
That is extremely encouraging that 92% of the locals that responded voted in favour of the resort.

I will say though 6,000 responses seems quite low (Bedford population is almost 200k)

Does sound like they are making a decision pretty soon whether to give this the green light. Keep everything crossed until then! 🤞
Well perhaps the other 194,00 didn’t give a toss.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Also, you've doubled Bedford's population there, it (and surrounding villages) are approx 100k.

What's weird is the lack of local anti-universal sentiment. There are plenty of people kicking off about East-West-Rail and new houses (the usual placards by a roundabout sort of thing), nothing against Universal.

spicy

Giga Poster
^ According to the census the population in 2022 was 187,466

Yeah but let’s hope it stays that way and there isn’t a few thousand people waiting for it to be green lit before they start petitioning about the old brickworks being a haven for wildlife etc..

Like when the “rare endangered jumping spider” was found on the Swanscombe peninsula.

Mushroom

Goon of the Year
Some people may not of been able to fill it out that easily. Or simply not heard too much about it yet. Not everyone has time to check every little bit of local news.

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
That's Bedford Borough, not Bedford. My gym is in Bedford Borough, yet in St Neots 15 miles from Bedford.

ZeroG

Roller Poster

What's weird is the lack of local anti-universal sentiment. There are plenty of people kicking off about East-West-Rail and new houses (the usual placards by a roundabout sort of thing), nothing against Universal.

EWR negatively affects far more people and represents massive government, tax-funded (rather than commercial) investment with questionable benefit (a road would be more useful).

ZeroG

Roller Poster
Hm, debatable. Anyway, let's not... derail... the thread too much.
The real answer why there are less naysayers for Universal is because it affects far less people.