What's new

Would you skip creds to reach a milestone on a decent coaster?

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I'm in this position and just thought it would make a good discussion! It almost makes me wish I hadn't started counting - as it's a new unlocked stress haha.

Basically If you want a certain top-shelf/new cred for a milestone, would you skip creds at previous parks if the numbers didn't stack in your favour i.e. you were on a cred-run trip and the parks before had excess creds for you to reach your milestone (and no creds were decent or noteworthy at these parks): - would you skip maybe the kiddie creds?

or to you is a-cred-a-cred and you just got to get them when you can and not miss an opportunity, or are kiddie creds damage collateral which you are happy to forgo if it means hitting a milestone on a biggie?

maybe we could call it a self-spite!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Never, I might try and manipulate things so it works in my favor (like right now sitting at 1099 and wanting 1100 to be something I'll do in June.... so I'm not planning anything between now and than) but my 300th and 500th were kiddies..... 400th was an SLC 🤷‍♂️

JackFish

Mega Poster
With the limited creds, I have, with me being 15 and all. With not a lot of money and relying on family vacations, I would never do this. I want to get all the creds I can.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Absolutely not. If I'm slated to hit a milestone during a park visit, I might try to do the coasters in a certain order to help give a particular coaster the milestone, but I would never completely skip coasters at a park in order to achieve a milestone at a different park later on. Milestones are fun, but at the end of the day, they just don't matter that much to me. And frankly, sometimes it's comical to have a ridiculous coaster as your milestone.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
Absolutely not. If I'm slated to hit a milestone during a park visit, I might try to do the coasters in a certain order to help give a particular coaster the milestone, but I would never completely skip coasters at a park in order to achieve a milestone at a different park later on. Milestones are fun, but at the end of the day, they just don't matter that much to me. And frankly, sometimes it's comical to have a ridiculous coaster as your milestone.

Exactly. I don't reach milestones easily, but I see them as part of the fun and not another thing to stress about. Like. #30 was Taron, which I planned meticulously and spent all day anxiously checking I had not miscounted the credits. #40 was Ortobruco tour at Gardaland and my gf chose it for me, which led to a glorious, carefree day at the park.

CoasterRides

Roller Poster
I would not skip a coaster. I'll hit 400 this Summer during a Western NY/Toronto area trip. it will probably be at Waldameer. I'll pick something from the park. Probably make it Ravine Flyer II

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Agree with the replies above - I wouldn't skip creds to try and line up a milestone. I'd try to make it the most notable thing at the park where it's going to happen.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Nah, never skip creds, unless you know with absolute certainty you'll be back soon and can ride it.

If I'm at a park where I'm hitting a milestone, I might manipulate my day to hit a milestone on a set cred. That might mean not hitting the park in the optimum way, but that's only if I think I can afford that.

witchfinder

Hyper Poster
I have done in the past - skipped a couple of the kiddie creds at Oakwood so that I could make Stealth my 200th. I would probably do the same again if skipping a wacky worm would result in a major cred being a milestone.

TilenB

Strata Poster
No, I don't think I would. Perhaps I would be less eager to go to a random +1 place if a milestone is coming up, but I wouldn't be skipping rides I'm already at. I would, however, ride coasters out of order if there was a need. Though the only time I did that so far was when I rode Raik before Taron to make Taron my #200. But some certain new info and a reshuffle of my count meant that Raik is now #200 in my count after all.

Matt N

CF Legend
I’m not sure I’d ever consciously skip a non-kiddie coaster to reach a milestone. As others have said, I might engineer my day to reach one on a specific ride if I so desired, but I’m not sure I’d ever consciously skip coasters to get a specific milestone.

I might have the opposite issue on my upcoming trip to Florida, however. My current coaster count is 91. The non-kiddie coasters I currently lack at Universal, SeaWorld and Busch Gardens would give me a +8, taking my count to 99. Even though this would still give me triple figures at some point in the year, through either a first time trip to Brean Theme Park or, failing that, a ride on Mandrill Mayhem at Chessington, my parents thought it would be slightly gutting for me to leave Florida without hitting triple figures on a notable ride out there, and I do kind of agree. With this in mind, my parents have reconciled me to the fact that the SeaWorld Orlando version of Super Grover’s Box Car Derby doesn’t look that bad compared to things I’ve ridden without flinching in the past. My parents are generally quite anti kiddie coaster (similar to how I am now, but they had these feelings long before I ever did), and even they didn’t think the Zierer Force Three at SeaWorld looked like an overly embarrassing ride to do. In terms of scale, it almost looks more family than kiddie, so I’ve convinced myself that although I don’t generally ride kiddie coasters, SeaWorld’s Super Grover doesn’t look especially mortifying compared to the other options in Florida, and it would be worth riding to ensure I hit 100 while in Florida.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
No. I've never planned around milestone coasters other than to the extent of "one of the coasters in this park will be a milestone, so I'll work around the park accordingly."

I might skip coasters in a particular park until later, but I'd never skip an entire park.

Most of my milestones have been s**t; don't care.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah I would. Merely a personal preference here, but a fab milestone coaster (and of course the goony photo that goes with it) is way cooler than a larger cred count.
For example, my 200th coaster could've been the kiddy cred at Liseberg.... or Wildfire!
I mean, that's a no brainer, surely?

TilenB

Strata Poster
For example, my 200th coaster could've been the kiddy cred at Liseberg.... or Wildfire!
I mean, that's a no brainer, surely?
A no brainer would be picking one of the four big and interesting coasters at Liseberg as a milestone over the kiddie creds, though?

Howie

Donkey in a hat
A no brainer would be picking one of the four big and interesting coasters at Liseberg as a milestone over the kiddie creds, though?

Well... no, cos I ain't no ho, see? 😉
And also, it was a CF Live, my first one, 30-odd excited goons who all wanted to ride the big stuff first. What was a timid young newbie to do? Demand we all ride the kiddy crap first so I can get a milestone? That just wouldn't be proper.

TilenB

Strata Poster
What was a timid young newbie to do? Demand we all ride the kiddy crap first so I can get a milestone? That just wouldn't be proper.
Tsk tsk tsk, bad goons. I can see why CF Lives fizzled out in the recent years, if they were putting people in a position where they had to miss out on creds. ;)

I'm not being too serious here. But yeah, I'd likely try and grab something like Stampbanan as a milestone for a laugh, if it came down to it.

Benenen

Hyper Poster
Interesting discussion. I keep track of my milestones but make no effort to make them significant coasters. Feels that if I'm interested enough to count creds in the first place then getting good milestones should also feel satisfying to my brain but no.

My lack of desire has led to #300 being Loup Garou rather than Kondaa (which I wanted to rope drop) and #400 being Lightning Racer at Hershey. Could have easily been Skyrush but I was keen to knock out the left side of the park with Laff Trak and Wild Mouse first then wait for the ERT crowds on Skyrush to die down before queueing. Only time it has lined up was getting Odyssey for my 250th as I wanted to ride it first and entered Fantasy Island on 249.