What's new

World's Tallest (Freestanding) Gyro Drop Tower and Slingshot for I-Drive Orlando

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So this could be another interesting development coming to ICON PARK (home of The Wheel and Orlando StarFlyer) on I-Drive. Initial announcement and construction update via Midway Mayhem:-
The drop tower will be manufactured by Funtime, and will likely have the same tiny lap bar as Le Donjon de l'Extrême at Nigloland. Zumanjaro (the current world's tallest drop tower) is 415ft (126m) tall, so this must be taller and that. It looks to be taller than the StarFlyer on the concept art, and that is 450ft (137m) tall, so maybe this could be the world's first 500ft drop tower? This will be one of the world's greatest drop rides when it opens for sure!

Last edited:

Bluegamesful

Roller Poster
I assume both will be provided by Funtime, since they also built the Star Flyer and offer both those rides. Quite the announcement, is the Star Flyer actually busy, because when we visited it was basically empty.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
The Star Flyer gets 'busy' at night. It runs till 2 am some nights! When I've gone in the day there's been maybe 5 or 6 other riders on it with me but at night it will run full/mostly full and with maybe an extra cycle worth of people in line/buying tickets.

The drop tower makes me excited.. I'm not sure we need yet another Sling Shot. That will bring a second to I-Drive and a third.. over 300 feet tall, in the same general area.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Since I don't care all that much to look myself, is this same group who did Dollywood drop tower?

Wont ride it because, **** that, but just interested.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
Where did you get "and will likely have the same tiny lap bar as Le Donjon de l'Extrême at Nigloland" from?! Highlander didn't..?

Also, in terms of the height, you've mentioned that it looks taller than the Star Flyer, the TOWER on the Star Flyer is 450ft, not the car itself. If you look, the extent of the height of the tower sits roughly where the car of the star flyer hits its peak.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Where did you get "and will likely have the same tiny lap bar as Le Donjon de l'Extrême at Nigloland" from?! Highlander didn't..?
Highlander has Gerstlauer OTSRs... Donjon has pull-down lapbars... Are we cool?

There's always a chance it will have OTSRs, it's just speculation. It would be cool if it did, though.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Damn, these people are FunTime are sure giving Intamin a run for their money. What was the last drop tower manufactured by them? The one at Fraispertuis City, if I am not mistaken...

Glad to see more parks investing in those, since they are amazing! Rode Hangover not too long ago and these gyrodrop models are impressive to look at.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The poster doesn't technically claim that the drop tower will be the world's tallest, though that's obviously implied. The slingshot will be the world's tallest, plus there's a drop tower.

Yeah, it's all semantics, but do Merlin still own this? If so, it's the sort of slightly misleading claim I'd expect from them.

Lofty

CF Legend
Highlander has Gerstlauer OTSRs... Donjon has pull-down lapbars... Are we cool?

There's always a chance it will have OTSRs, it's just speculation. It would be cool if it did, though.
No, we aren't cool.

You had absolutely no validation to write that 'fact' and you have literally called someone out in another topic for doing the EXACT same thing. This is the reason why people on this forum can't gel with you and have this snarky attitude to anything you post. I like to think that all members can improve, you've had years and still haven't. Definitely a lost cause.

Ben

CF Legend
The poster doesn't technically claim that the drop tower will be the world's tallest, though that's obviously implied. The slingshot will be the world's tallest, plus there's a drop tower.

Yeah, it's all semantics, but do Merlin still own this? If so, it's the sort of slightly misleading claim I'd expect from them.

Please don’t come in here, all with your ability to read.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
This is exciting. I love drop towers. I'll be doing the Star Flyer in December and I'm scared tbh. For some reason they freak me out. I'll be quite the adrenaline rush though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Ooh, this is exciting! The world's tallest drop tower, slingshot and star flyer will now be in a city I've actually been to, in a place I actually have a chance of visiting in the not too distant future!

I've heard good things about the Funtime drop towers, but it'll certainly have some tough competition, what with rides like Falcon's Fury and Tower of Terror in the same state!

Also, I know it might sound strange, but I could potentially see this park becoming the next Skyplex, except this place is actually up and running. They already have the world's tallest star flyer and they're going to have the world's tallest drop tower and slingshot (I believe both attractions are similar to ones planned for the Skyplex, correct me if I'm wrong.). I'd personally quite like to see them resurrect the Polercoaster, if we're dreaming!

Pear

Strata Poster
Really hope this thing will be open for next year. I love drop towers and Dropline was great so hopefully this will be as well.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
but do Merlin still own this?.
No, as far as I know they just own/run the SeaLife and Wax Museum. They arent involved with the wheel anymore or the rest of, uh, Icon Park / I-Drive 360 / Orlando 360 / I-Drive LIVE / Whatever they wanna call the place this week.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
So this will be the world's tallest "free-standing" drop tower.
D5rFfZuXsAEPcHG.jpg

Such original names guys.