What's new

Wooden Coasters - Enviromental?

The Grape Wizard

Hyper Poster
With alot of people going crazy about the enviroment, logging is a big problem. But im surprised the tree huggers haven't complained about wooden coasters.

One coaster must use ALOT of logs?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Not really.

The real environmental argument against roller coasters would be the consumption of fossil fuels in the production and transportation of coaster parts.

Slash

Giga Poster
Although it is a hell of a lot of wood used in them. Gwazi for example uses 1.5 million square feet of wood.

Thats a lot.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Gwazi is two coasters. Mean Streak uses 1.7 million board feet and GhostRider knocks out a whopping 2.5 million board feet of southern yellow pine. :razz:

I would still imagine gasoline usage still wins from an eco-friendly perspective.

Slash

Giga Poster
Hyde244 said:
I would still imagine gasoline usage still wins from an eco-friendly perspective.

Well yes.... but if you think about it 2.5 million square feet of wood is a hell of a lot.

WAIT A MINUTE, what is The Beast :shock:. Don't ride wooden coasters ! YOUR AIDING CLIMATE CHANGE!

Gazza

Giga Poster
It is a lot of resources being used in total, but a wooden coaster would be far more environmentally friendly than a steel one, given steel has a higher level of embodied energy.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Beast uses 650,000 board feet, a very small amount due to the fact that Beast is a terrain coaster and does not need the same giant wooden structures.

Even if it is a lot of wood, it isn't a scratch in ecologic impact.

Danzibarr

Mega Poster
They just have to realise that wooden coasters are needed to keep the population happy; Happy population will be more likely to stump up on bio-energy, meaning in the end they're all happy :D

That makes no sense but is my offering to the debate!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I've never really thought about it. I think I'll stop riding them now. Thanks for opening my eyes. Not much point being a member on here anymore either I suppose. Bye then!