What's new

Cedar Point | Top Thrill 2 | Triple Launch Renovation | 2024

Wazzupnerds

Mega Poster
Link to article

Looks like TTD has had another shrapnel accident, 3rd one I believe. I hope the woman is ok and pulls through.

Have to wonder if this is the end for the big boy,

Last edited by a moderator:

justinmyersm

Mega Poster
There were comments on Facebook, that have since been deleted, that said she had passed. I am hoping since they were deleted that it was false and she still has a chance to pull through. This is terrible.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
I hope the woman is okay! Another accident is the last thing the industry needed, let alone one that resulted in injury

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So, there we have it. Metal detectors on TTD and quite possibly Millennium in 2022.
Classic case of lots of [mis]information around at the moment, but most of the reports I've read appear to suggest it was a piece of ride hardware, not a loose article.

Tony Clark's statement:
At approximately 4:30 this afternoon, a small metal object became disengaged from a train on the Top Thrill Dragster roller coaster as it was ending its run. The object came into contact with a female guest waiting in line for the ride. The park’s EMS team and Sandusky Fire Dept. responded immediately, and the guest was transported to the hospital for medical care. At this time, our focus is on the guest and her family.

The ride will remain closed until a full safety investigation is complete.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Classic case of lots of [mis]information around at the moment, but most of the reports I've read appear to suggest it was a piece of ride hardware, not a loose article.

Tony Clark's statement:

My bad. I was under the impression that someone had carried an object on the train. I should have read before posting.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Horrible to hear the news - hoping to hear more details on the exact nature of what sprung loose.

oberthewhat

Roller Poster
Not sure what happens when an incident like this occurs. Do we expect TTD to be closed down for a while? I am driving up from Texas for the first week in september.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Oh dear, terrible news - I hope it's not life changing injuries or anything like that :(

I anticipate they won't operate the ride until they identify exactly what failed and address it on the trains / track (either part replacements or re-design), so it could well be down for the rest of the season, or beyond.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
still not a lot to report on yet - Sandusky PD released body cam footage showing the evacuation of the guest, included in this summary news report capturing as much anecdote as possible: https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021...-thrill-dragster-accident-at-cedar-point.html

The exact description of the metal bit remains unclear - some described it as a “disc” and other an “L bracket”. Those are indeed some parts on the train, from the wheel assembly to struts that hold the train together. Still a bizarre incident to occur.

ummm.. of course.. but do we know typically how long?
There really is zero read here on how long a closure we are looking at unfortunately. Local news has really been digging in on the story - unclear if it's a hit piece or something worth further investigation, we really just have little to no info.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Down for 2021 at least, apparently.

As an aside, the bodycam video (post-accident) is not a pleasant watch and you don’t really gain anything from watching it, so I would suggest giving it a skip.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
The picture may be too small to tell for certain, but can anyone here tell where it was taken? I tried a bit of Geoguessing in Street View and found that the picture at least corresponds well to the concrete paving in the area. See here for instance:
I haven't been able to locate anything that could have cast those shadows in the background, however. It could be the fence and light pole seen to the right in the link above, which is right below the drop of TTD. If so, they'd have to be standing on the other side of the fence, in the small courtyard by the removed bridge.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The picture may be too small to tell for certain, but can anyone here tell where it was taken? I tried a bit of Geoguessing in Street View and found that the picture at least corresponds well to the concrete paving in the area. See here for instance:
I haven't been able to locate anything that could have cast those shadows in the background, however. It could be the fence and light pole seen to the right in the link above, which is right below the drop of TTD. If so, they'd have to be standing on the other side of the fence, in the small courtyard by the removed bridge.
I really wish I could say I am not dorky enough to know the two types of concrete that are used for paving the TTD queue infield, yet here we are.

Here's a quick screengrab of the queue infield, and the rough area where the metal piece would have come off/flung into the queue and struck the guest (circled in red). In general, we know the metal bit made it towards the middle of the red circle (best guess is she was in the FastPass+ queue line, which runs right along the shrubbery and infield fence). So, the piece came off, hit a guest, and could have landed anywhere infield.

The blue circle is my best guess of where the guest holding the piece was standing - there is a regular concrete lay use for the queue, and a black asphalt/tarmac used for the non-queue/transfer track area. The picture shows the guest standing on the light, regular concrete, which I'd guess is the blue circle below - something far enough away from the queue rail to get the shadow cast to @Pokemaniac's point. Granted, they could have absconded with the metal piece and ran out of the queue (this concrete is used as the main lay along the TTD midway), but it definitely looks like a picture in-queue.

TTD infield.JPG