What's new

What Started As A Matterhorn Question And Is Now A Merged General Discussion On What Counts as Coaster Credit

Coaster_fan_07

Roller Poster
The Matterhorn at Disneyland which is the first-ever tubular steel coaster has two tracks according to RCDB the left track is 2,037 ft long and 2 minutes and 7 seconds long while the right track is 2,134 ft long and is 2 minutes and 26 seconds long. this brings me to my question, does the Matterhorn count as two credits?

RCDB link: https://rcdb.com/200.htm

Heth

Mega Poster
I would argue that pretty much all Dueling coasters are separate creds, Matterhorn included.

Thought experiment, at what point do the rides stop being separate creds.

1. Two Vekoma SLCs exist in two separate parks. These are considered two creds.

2. Now, I move one of the SLCs into the same park as the other. They have different names and are on opposite sides of the park. They are still the exact same SLCs as in 1. Are they still 2 creds?

3. Now, I move them next to each other. Are they 2 creds?

4. Finally I give them the same name. Are they 2 creds?

They have been the same 2 coasters the whole time, but I reckon some would argue they cease to be separate creds at some point. Personally I think that if they are separate tracks and stations, regardless of differences (or lack thereof), they are separate creds.

Gazza

Giga Poster
I think each track is a cred.

People that counted dueling dragons as one credit always seemed weird to me

Also controversial opinion but mobius coasters with two stations count as two still IMO, not ‘half a credit each’

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I would argue that pretty much all Dueling coasters are separate creds, Matterhorn included.

Thought experiment, at what point do the rides stop being separate creds.

1. Two Vekoma SLCs exist in two separate parks. These are considered two creds.

2. Now, I move one of the SLCs into the same park as the other. They have different names and are on opposite sides of the park. They are still the exact same SLCs as in 1. Are they still 2 creds?

3. Now, I move them next to each other. Are they 2 creds?

4. Finally I give them the same name. Are they 2 creds?

They have been the same 2 coasters the whole time, but I reckon some would argue they cease to be separate creds at some point. Personally I think that if they are separate tracks and stations, regardless of differences (or lack thereof), they are separate creds.
THIS!!!

If you can't count two tracks next to each other as 2 creds, then you can't count 97 identical wacky worms in different parks as 97 creds...

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
For no particular reason I've always approached on the basis as to whether the tracks are different or the same. For example Steeplechase at Blackpool is certainly not 3 creds as far as I'm concerned. Nor had I treated Grand National as 2, mobius design or not (plus, treating it as 2 would mean you'd have to go on it twice to get both creds, and I'd never endorse putting anyone on that monstrosity twice). Its exactly the same regardless of which track you're on.

Stampida / Dragon Challenge / Matterhorn on the other hand. Different experience different creds per track.

Yes yes I know, this "different experience" rule creates inconsistency (is a coaster picked up and moved elsewhere really a different experience? How about if the cars are changed, or it starts running backwards? Or they change the rear car to a spinning car in an obvious money grab?) but thats how I've always looked at it

Heth

Mega Poster
For no particular reason I've always approached on the basis as to whether the tracks are different or the same. For example Steeplechase at Blackpool is certainly not 3 creds as far as I'm concerned. Nor had I treated Grand National as 2, mobius design or not (plus, treating it as 2 would mean you'd have to go on it twice to get both creds, and I'd never endorse putting anyone on that monstrosity twice). Its exactly the same regardless of which track you're on.

Stampida / Dragon Challenge / Matterhorn on the other hand. Different experience different creds per track.

Yes yes I know, this "different experience" rule creates inconsistency (is a coaster picked up and moved elsewhere really a different experience? How about if the cars are changed, or it starts running backwards? Or they change the rear car to a spinning car in an obvious money grab?) but thats how I've always looked at it

If the three tracks for Steeplechase were separated and moved to 3 separate parks, would you consider them 3 creds?

EmmaUK

Mega Poster
If the three tracks for Steeplechase were separated and moved to 3 separate parks, would you consider them 3 creds?
Thats the problem with hypotheticals isn't it? If you took a coaster with 2 lift hills and split it into 2 separate coasters it would then be 2 creds. Therefore, logically, any coaster with 2 lifts is 2 creds?

The thing is, there is no right or wrong way to count. I rarely meet 2 people who agree on the way to count creds (whether alpine coasters count? Larson loops? Powered coasters, those odd self propelled coasters you have in Germany, water coasters).

Last edited:

Heth

Mega Poster
Thats the problem with hypotheticals isn't it? If you took a coaster with 2 lift hills and split it into 2 separate coasters it would then be 2 creds. Therefore, logically, any coaster with 2 lifts is 2 creds?

The thing is, there is no right or wrong way to count. I rarely meet 2 people who agree on the way to count creds (whether alpine coasters count? Larson loops? Powered coasters, those odd self propelled coasters you have in Germany, water coasters).

Oh i know, I just find the hypotheticals interested, especially regarding Dueling coasters.

davidm

Strata Poster
...and Grand National is only "one credit", but you have to ride both sides.

If you only have ridden one side you don't get 1/2 credit either (because credits are whole numbers and that would just be silly) but yet you have ridden the Grand National, just in a manner that you have failed to "complete it" (so it doesn't count). ;)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
...and Grand National is only "one credit", but you have to ride both sides.

If you only have ridden one side you don't get 1/2 credit either (because credits are whole numbers and that would just be silly) but yet you have ridden the Grand National, just in a manner that you have failed to "complete it" (so it doesn't count). ;)
"Never half-ass anything." - Ron Swanson

giphy.gif

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Here's a question for those who take pride in the sequencing of their cred counts.

Say you're on 999 creds and you're visiting Blackpool for the first time ever.
Your first ride is on one half of Grand National.
Then you go on a bad cred, like Icon.
You then ride the second half of Grand National.

Which coaster is your big 1000?

Niles

Giga Poster
Here's a question for those who take pride in the sequencing of their cred counts.

Say you're on 999 creds and you're visiting Blackpool for the first time ever.
Your first ride is on one half of Grand National.
Then you go on a bad cred, like Icon.
You then ride the second half of Grand National.

Which coaster is your big 1000?

I would say Icon would be as I count it once have completed the whole coaster.

One thing is my first time on Shambhala we stopped on the mid course and we had to get off, I was not sure whether to count it or not as technically I had not done the whole coaster. While waiting for it to reopen we went on Dragon Khan, Shambhala reopened and I did the whole thing so I was unsure what to count first. In the end I went for Khan first, but yea, if Shambala stayed closed would I have counted the cred 🤔

Also with the Grand Nation I rode the left side in the early 2000s but then it broke down, I had to wait till 2018 for the right side and count the cred 😅

Last edited:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
My answer: What do you want your 1,000th to be?

According to some strings of Subjectivity Theory, the underlying driver to that question will infer not only which coaster you choose to qualify as 1,000 - it would actually have a likelihood to inspire and shape your entire day's agenda. As social beings, humans love stability and predictability, but are too often warped/influenced by primitive desire, which can cause the explosion of hypotheticals with weird, in-between areas. To pull from some meta themes of Rhetorical Theory, the desire for stability and predictability can actually inspire a want for control, which to some extent could be why folks feel so bold as to create their rules for coaster count rather than accept the group norm, wanting to exert more control on their perceived reality.

... hey look! I got to use my philosophy degree today! 😅

And let's be honest, respect the classics - Grand National as #1,000 all the way. :p