What's new

What Is It With MCBR's These Days?

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
Hi everyone,

just wondering wether it is only me who feels that the increased use of MCBR's and trim brakes in rollercoasters these days spoil the coasters. I mean cant they just design free-flowing coasters like most 'normal' ones, because I personally prefer those ones.

What do you all think??

Jools

Giga Poster
I think it is because rollercoasters have got bigger and faster thus more extreme, meaning that they need to or want to slow the trains/cars down so people don't get injured or complain.

Ben

CF Legend
^I think it's more that we're seeing smaller trains with more use of single cars on things like Eurofighters, X-Cars etc., so, we need more MCBRs to keep up capacity. I don't think B&Ms and Intamins have really started using them more... with the exception I guess of the 12 seater Intamins.

A

Anonymous

It all depends on the size and numbers of trains.

If you run low capacity trains you will need more MCBR's to keep the throughput high, since you can then use more trains.

On the other hand if you have large high capacity trains then you don't really need many MCBR's to keep good throughput.

Mike

Giga Poster
MCBR's reduce wear and tear on the trains and the track, therefore reducing maintenance costs.

Yes, they're quite annoying, but parks just use them to reduce costs.

[Edit- Woops, I'm thinking of trims, but they were mentioned as well, so meh]

Tim

Roller Poster
It's exactly as Ben has already said, however in most parks cases they may as well have not bothered designing them into the layout as the first car is long back before the second makes an appearance

SAW_gameover

Mega Poster
at least its not just me who hates waiting on bits of track, especially SAW: The Ride at thorpe park, all the MCBR's absolutely ruin it, although fair enough, they have to keep throughput high.

marc

CF Legend
If you mean the end of the ride they are not really MCBR so to speak, I am sure people will not agree with me. They are but they are not, they are just there to slow you down for the station and hold you if the station is not clear. If the trains are dispatched on time you should not even be held there.

For me the only MCBR on Saw is before the dive loop I think it is, where the trims are/were.

But as Ben said before, there are 8 trains on Saw so all these brakes are needed so they can run 8 trains.

They wanted to make a low capacity ride a high capacity ride, why not just buy a high capacity ride in the 1st place I dont know.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
^ Well MCBR does mean Mid Course Break Run, so to have it at the end of the ride wouldn't really be mid course anymore...

If the coaster is designed properly, trims should theoretically let the coaster become more extremem, not less extreme, as they regulate the trains' speed, so variable forces such as air resistance can be controlled, meaning that a more accurate and consistent speed can be maintained, so the G-forces can be maximised without fear of the train being too fast and pulling too many, as it will always go around the track at the same speed.

Hope that makes sense XD

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ He's just mistaken.

SAW only has one MCBR.

MCBR are a give and take, you do give up some speed during the ride but are able to maintain a higher capacity.

Snoo

The Legend
It's all capacity. Some rides don't need it by the sheer size of the trains (MF) or length of the layout (TTD).. but smaller trains and rides will need more brakes to keep capacity up.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Alright, two I guess, I forgot to count the lift hill as a MCBR.

Ben

CF Legend
The lift's not a break run it's a, well, a lift...

There's an MCBR on the first section, just after the mini not-quite-vertical drop, but before the barrel roll.

Inverse

Hyper Poster
^ you managed to get this far without knowing these things? good job!

I don't mind the 2nd MCBR on Saw, i've not ridden it with trims but before they came in, that MCBR gave big airtime as you left it.

Also thinking about the MCBR in Dragon Khan, that trims a bit, but the sudden dive down to the right afterwards is cool.

Worst trim i can think of has got to be PMBO just before the helix.

So an MCBR can work as part of the ride, give half a seconds breather before continuing.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
Hyde244 said:

There seems to be some confusion in terms.

A Block is a segment of track. Only one train (or car) can occupy any given block or the computer will e-stop the ride.

A MCBR or mid-course brake run is typically a term for a Block Brake. A Block Brake is one place where a train can be completely stopped in the event of an e-stop or other problem.

A Trim Brake is a braking segment used by the computer to control the speed of the train. A Trim Brake cannot stop a train completely, BUT some coasters do use Block Brakes as a Trim Brake to help control speed.

A Control Point is any point on a coaster where the train can be safely stopped. Examples of Control Points include the Station, the Lift, any Block Brake and the final brake run will often contain more than one Control Point.

There must always be more Blocks than trains, or the computer will never allow the trains to advance.

Clear as mud?
:wink:

AmandaPanda

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
Hyde244 said:

There seems to be some confusion in terms.

A Block is a segment of track. Only one train (or car) can occupy any given block or the computer will e-stop the ride.

A MCBR or mid-course brake run is typically a term for a Block Brake. A Block Brake is one place where a train can be completely stopped in the event of an e-stop or other problem.

A Trim Brake is a braking segment used by the computer to control the speed of the train. A Trim Brake cannot stop a train completely, BUT some coasters do use Block Brakes as a Trim Brake to help control speed.

A Control Point is any point on a coaster where the train can be safely stopped. Examples of Control Points include the Station, the Lift, any Block Brake and the final brake run will often contain more than one Control Point.

There must always be more Blocks than trains, or the computer will never allow the trains to advance.

Clear as mud?
:wink:

I would say it's more like, as clear as... Jello?