What's new

USA July 2013 PTR

Colossus

Giga Poster
So after many many late nights drinking Redbull, trying to organize this 17 day trip to the United States, it's Friday 5th July and after a 3 hour drive from Kings Lynn to Hemel Hempstead to stay with family, it's time to get some sleep as the countdown to the trip has come to an end and it's finally time to see if all my planning will work and enjoy myself.

Saturday 6th July - Hemel Hempstead to Boulder Dash

So after about 20 minutes of sleep it is 4 in the morning, so we head to Heathrow Terminal 5 to prepare for our flight which departs at 08;30. After arriving at what is a real impressive building we take normal procedures and after a few hours we're ready to board.

2013-07-06072854_zpsf6ad30db.jpg

I had planned to sleep on the flight but again that didn't happen, I tried everything possible to nod off but to no avail, so after watching a film and a repeat of the British Grand Prix we finally touchdown at JFK after (apart from no sleep) what was a pleasant flight.
We get off the plane and after a long queue at the US customs we finally collect our bags and are free to go about 12pm. The first thing on the agenda is to go outside for a cigarette and we're immediately stunned by the heat, as soon as we walkout to doors it was almost suffocating, so after running back in for a cold drink we had our cigarette and headed to Alamo to pick up our hire car.

We arrive to collect our car, we had ordered a standard sized car as it was the best we could have with Tash being the sole driver and under the age of 25, however when we arrived they and collected our car they had actually given us the size above with no extra charge.

HolidayUSA1314_zps9f181cf8.jpg

We had a brand new 2013 Ford Fusion with 0.5 miles on the clock, this car was incredible, so spacious, luxurious, powerful, just a real beautiful car and a pleasure to have for a couple of weeks, I cannot pick a single minor fault with it.

2013-07-08185449_zpsfef09d74.jpg

After a couple of days we named the car (because it's cool to do that) Murray, after Andy Murray, obviously.

After just over 2 hours on the road we arrive at our hotel in Southlington, CT. Credit to Tash for completing what must have been a daunting task of driving on the opposite side of the road in a car way more powerful than she is used to, in New York of all places, with no issues at all, shes a real good little driver and she showed this throughout, so well done to her. None of this would be possible without her taking one for the team as prior to the trip she was very nervous about it.

So after what has been a real long day we're both stupidly tired, me especially as I have been awake for well over 36 hours the day is nowhere near done as it's time to ride what is arguably the best coaster in the world.

HolidayUSA001_zps258eb81e.jpg

We arrived at about 5pm so as to get in cheaper, 5 hours should be more than enough time to do what we need to. So we take some time walking around looking for you know what, the park looked really nice with the sun shining, the water park looked impressive and was stupidly busy. It didn't take long in a park this size to find what we were looking for, just head for the roar on the hill.

HolidayUSA003_zps84b4d079.jpg

HolidayUSA007_zps5119074c.jpg

We queued no more than about 15 minutes and we boarded around the middle of the train. As we headed up the lift the realization kicked in that we are not only about the experience this highly spoken of ride, but all of the rides to come are going to be reality instead of a YouTube video. Speaking of YouTube, I have watched pov's of this ride and I have to say the drop looks significantly higher in real life.
So upon the drop the craziness of this rides kicks straight in, relentless forces and airtime, all was incredible until we turned the last curve near the chairlift (more on that later) then it started to hurt, like really hurt, I felt real pressure on the back of my head, it felt like somebody was trying to crush it, we got back to the station to catch a breath and although the last stretch hurt like hell (I attributed this to lack of sleep) it was still a truly incredible experience.

Re-rides couldnt happen just yet because my head was spinning and there was more creds to get.
So next was Wildcat, less said about this the better, it also hurt, to be fair this may not have been totally the rides fault, my post Boulder Dash headache probably contributed to this.

So whats the best way to get rid of a headache? Paracetamol? Rest? Or a Vekoma Boomerang?

HolidayUSA008_zpsa4982e70.jpg

So Zoomerang would have to be done next to clear the creds for the day, (didn't fancy the kiddie cred) so that's exactly what happened, needless to say it was just a boomerang and needless to say if I didn't have a mild concussion before the ride, I did now.

So we decided to take it slow for a while and give my head a rest before we get some more Boulder Dash rides in, we have a look near the back and see the log flume, which looked rubbish and a Rush (I will call all Screamin Swing's a Rush) which was only operating 1 arm, so I planned to hit it up later on when my head felt better.

HolidayUSA033_zps5feae637.jpg

One thing we did find here, and this was one of the most incredible finds in any park, the discovery of free drinks! Yes, free drinks, there are pop / soda dispensers all around the park, so you can grab a drink whenever you please, genius!
So we grabbed some grub, which was quite good actually chicken tenders from a restaurant overlooking the lake and water park.

It's nearing 7pm and my head is still not right so we spot that there's a rapids ride tucked away in the corner so we decide to head over to investigate. We attempted to get some shots of Boulder Dash on the way, most of the pictures turned out rubbish.

HolidayUSA023_zpsf670de67.jpg

We did however have a nice view of the lake.

HolidayUSA012_zps18d6849d.jpg

And this thing.

HolidayUSA018_zpsed8ebb54.jpg

The most sinister looking chairlift ever, it had something very dark about it, it looked like something out of a horror film, probably just me being an idiot, but I found it quite weird, maybe because it was quiet and non operational? I don't know, whatever, so yeah, creepy chairlift.

We had two goes on the rapids as they let us stay on, you know there's always a couple of people that really "get it" on rapids rides, well that was us, both times, everybody got wet, but we got drenched, this would have been alright if the sun hadn't decided to do one, and the weather turn slightly cold.

Although now soaked my headache has now gone so it is time to hit the main event again.

HolidayUSA025_zpsb2c987e0.jpg

We near the front of what is a slightly longer queue than before, only for the train to be dispatched and conk out on the lift. Mr Mechanic came along five minutes later, push a button and all was good.
This ride was much more exhilarating with much less pain, the back end was still slightly painful but nowhere near as much.

It's nearing 9 now so after wandering around for a bit I want to get the Rush done, I get over there to find out the ride is down. :( Ah well we did get a nice view of the pirate ship, which I thought looked real nice in its location.

HolidayUSA039_zps4115f767.jpg

So just after 9 and we decide to get our last ride of our first day, a front row on BD, the queue took over half an hour as I think most people in the park wanted that one last ride.

HolidayUSA040_zps52686fbf.jpg

HolidayUSA049_zps667515e7.jpg

We board the train about 9:40 and get dispatched, as soon as you're on the hill you can see nothing, literally nothing, you can just make out the track and silhouettes of the trees a few shines of light as you turn to take the drop then that is it, for those that have not experienced the ride in the dark at the front, you really have to, it was all the craziness of the 2 rides prior but in total darkness, it took my breathe clean away, simply the most amazing single experience I have had on any ride before and after the whole trip, it really was incredible, those that have also done it will know what I'm saying, totally unbelievable.

Finally after what has been the longest day in my life its time to get back to the hotel for some much needed sleep, so we have a small walk to the shop for some tat, grab a free drink and wave goodbye to what is really a nice park, granted there's not an amazing amount to do other than BD, but it's a real nice quirky park, with the mountainous setting, free drinks, evil chairlift and just all around niceness, friendly staff, clean. Yeah really nice park, a tremendous reward fr the stressful day we had to get there.

Next - Six Flags New England

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Re: USA June 2013 PTR

Enjoyed reading this, can't wait for more. Free drinks was probably my favorite part of Holiday World, gotta love the smaller parks who do that.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator

Can't believe you did LC after the flight. You pair of absolute heroes :lol:

So glad you found the Boulder Dash I did, now feel pity for those who didn't last year :p

I also found the return section not so great, yet that's the bit everyone else seems to rave about. It's the mountain side section I was blown away by, the return section after the corner of doom was "good, but nothing on the rest" :)

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster

Edward M said:
Look forward to SFNE.

Loved the report

I'm also looking forward to SFNE. I've been more times then I can count and going again on August 3rd. Can't wait to see what you think of it.

peep

CF Legend

Just a heads up that the title says June and not July ;)

Great read so far. It's a shame the chairlift wasn't open, we found that to be the best attraction the park had to offer. Granted we went on a day when BD wasn't running well, though I still can't fathom how it can ride THAT differently. Free drinks is such an awesome thing for a park to do, though never do what I did and have too much carbonated drinks that it makes Zoomerang give you a massive headache :p

Look forward to reading part 2 :)

Hutch

Strata Poster

Nice report, and just like everyone else, looking forward to SFNE. :D

Smithy

Strata Poster

More impressed that somewhere, there's a theme park that offers customers drinks for free :| That's amazing rofl. As is your dedication to credits to ride and re-ride Boulder Dash on no sleep.

Colossus

Giga Poster
Firstly I just want to apologize for the time it has taken me to get this part done, a colleague at work has unexpectedly gone off sick, meaning muggins here has had a much longer and more stressful working week, so yeah sorry about that, I will try and get these up much quicker now.

Sunday 7th July - A Bizzaro Day at SFNE

So after finally getting some well need sleep (yay!!) we woke up fresh and raring to go, we have a shortish drive from Southlington to Agawam to visit Six Flags New England.

So we arrive in good time and after getting frisked by security (Thorpe Park style) we are in the park just as they start the countdown from 6 to 1 for the opening of the park. So that out the way we head straight for Bizzaro, only there's a problem, this is my first large park visit in over 2 years and my lack of focus and complete tardiness mean we don't even remotely end up at Bizzaro, but at Batman.

2013-07-07194726_zpsdf4832db.jpg

So we get our first ride of the day in and our first ride on one of these floorless casters. I thought it was alright actually, nothing amazing but certainly nothing horrid, a nice if totally accidental way to start the day.

So next had to e the SLC Mind Eraser, only problem was it was not operating, so my headache would have to wait a little while longer.

So we finally end up over near Bizzaro and it looks incredible, just a huge mass of steel, a real towering sight.

2013-07-07201658_zps15d85d07.jpg

So after getting closer and closer to the ride just taking in the scale we arrive at the entrance and we're confronted by the most burdenous enemy that we would encounter in more than one park on this trip. Lockers, just a real pain in the backside, I understand why they're there, speed up operations and they are money makers, but just a pain!
So after faffing with the lockers we end up finally in the queue and its only about 10 minutes until we board, we take the second row as the front row queue was already ridiculous. We depart and they music kicks in (totally forgot this ride had audio) they lift took forever but there are nice views of the park to be had from the right and the lake to the left, we reach the top (are you scared?, hmm maybe?) and seem to hang for a split second as gravity takes over more of the lengthy train, then bang, we're down and up again in a flash, the drop into the tunnel was quite cool actually, as was the rest of the ride, full of airtime, towards the end also with the turns and bunny hops, they really have utilized the pace from start to finish, this really is a legitimately world beating ride, just awesome.
We rode again 3 times straight after including at the back, which was also an expeirence, especially over the lift as you will be climbing nice and slow enjoying the view of the lake, only to all of a sudden get dragged down into the hole, again awesomeness.

2013-07-07201256_zps1dd14b20.jpg

After that it was time to start mopping up credits, we started with the mouse with the really long name and Catwoman's Whip followed by the opening of the trashy SLC.

2013-07-07194212_zps774ee400.jpg

Hatefull distgusting ride that needs to castaway to the pits of hell, thats all I have to say about Mind Eraser.

After this we decided to grab some refill bottle as it was scorching hot and there was ceratinly no free drinks here unlike the day previous.

2013-07-07194839_zps364a16e0.jpg

We even found a clone of one of Thorpe's rides

2013-07-07200155_zps4fa1364f.jpg

Also this piece of trash that appeared to be having a touch of the Ramses Revenge's as it was non-functional all day.

2013-07-07201011_zps0f76b84c.jpg

Somehow we ended up at the other end of the ark after some wandering about, after my sprinkler drowning and about 10 Powerade refills we were still scorching hot so we hit up the rapids, which are actually quite cool, the station building is very nice (sorry my senseless mind didn't take any pictures) it looks like an old factory building.

After a nice soaking we headed over to Cyclone and we were on and off that in no time at all, I like this rides location actually, it's quite mysterious looking sitting at the back behind the boomerang.
Nice ride though, it was better than it looked and weren't as rough as I thought it would have been.

2013-07-07182827_zps158cdf2b.jpg

We took a look at Pandemonium after but the queue looked suspicious and actually as we were looking they announced the ride had a technical issue, considering a train whizzed past 30 seconds prior, it was clear the ride had just broke down infront of us, making our decision to come back later easy.

We got the kiddie cred next which I was surprised they let us have.

Then we got Thunderbolt down, this unlike Cyclone was exactly as it looked, a bit rough and not that good, but it weren't awful either. It did look good in the white, I don't know whether it had just been repainted, but it looked nice for a white woodie.

After we headed to Bizzaro to get some footage, after a few trains there were a few empty trains then non at all?

2013-07-07201741_zps06aa0f09.jpg

Okay now it's time for a battle a wills for the next few hours will be Nick vs Goliath

Round 1 - So we get in the queue and there's a small queue but we ride it out, all until they claim they have to shut the ride down, why? Because apparently there's some weather coming? (explains why Bizzaro shutdown) There's a few clouds in the sky, but nothing that looks serious.
Until about 5 minutes later when it starts hammering down, this once actually real nice after all the heat we had dealt with since getting of the plane, so this was quite refreshing it is worth noting it is now 3pm and all we need to complete our cred run is Goliath, Pandemonium and the boomerang. So we decide relax for a while and stop for some lunch, pulled pork at the sports bar, which was delicious, we even found out about Andy Murray's Wimbledon success from one of the waiters, the only thing I didn't like about this place was the New England Patriots paint job on the wall ;)

So after this the rain has stopped, there's still clouds in the sky but everything is shut down, literally everything is closed and the whole place is now really quiet and eerie, we sat in the smoking area by the rapids for a while, there were people walking about, but nothing going on, like nothing I have experienced here in the UK.

2013-07-07211627_zps41de8565.jpg

It starts to clear up after a while and we stand near the entrance to Goliath for round 2, a queue develops at the entrance as we get wind it may open shortly, we wait then what do we see, 1 lightning bolt just behind the rapids, so clearly we are going to remain closed for a while, bugger.

So we walk around for a bit at watch the Looney Tunes We Got the Moves show, which was actually quite entertaining and found the Taz vintage cars ride that was actually open so we got a ride just for the sake of riding something.
The cable cars are also operating so we get that also and after 3 hours of complete downtime, rides start opening about 6pm, great so we can start clearing up rides we need and squeeze in some re-rides, but there's a problem, Tash has developed a nasty headache and don't feel like doing anything.

2013-07-07172026_zpsc500000a.jpg

We walk over to Goliath to get that and after a few drinks of water she fells up for it.
So round 3 and because the ride has not long re-opened the queue is vile, so much so that although I know I still need it, I begrudgingly walk away in defeat for a third time.

2013-07-07203625_zps3a935a8a.jpg

So I get the boomerang on my own as Tash certainly don't feel like one of these right now.

2013-07-07233407_zps4358024d.jpg

Pandemonium next, this ride looked cool, but in actual fact, it was rubbish, really quite dull.

2013-07-08002720_zpse5c3a8e8.jpg

So after this, there's only 1 cred left to get and after multiple attempts, I finally beat it, well just anyway, we get through the prison style gates to board the ride and we sit and wait after the train has been checked for about 2 minutes, so I'm thinking this ride is going to get the best of me again. But no we finally get dispatched I get to complete my cred hunt for the day. I actually thought it was really cool, the thing is huge, Tash however weren't as impressed, although she did like the sign below.

2013-07-08012007_zps2fe331f7.jpg

2013-07-08010430_zps7ef1bd70.jpg

Relief.

2013-07-08012049_zps9d58e4d2.jpg

After all this is done its nearing 8pm and there's time to have another go on Batman and finish the day off with some night rides on Bizzaro, which again was totally incredible, nowhere near as incredible as the night ride Boulder Dash, but still incredible.
we got only 3 night rides in as the queue had really developed now same again with BD, everybody wanting that dark ride.

2013-07-08022916_zpsf8191dda.jpg

As it nears 10pm we head back through to park to head for the exit so we could get back to Southlington as we had a 600 mile drive ahead for the next day.

2013-07-08024147_zpsafd8133f.jpg

In conclusion we had a good day actually in that we got all the creds in and we got more than enough hits on Bizzaro, and apart from the weather being interesting there's not a great deal that stands out.
Although there's 11 coasters there most of them are clones, SLC, Boomerang, GIB, Mouse, I think even Batman is almost a clone. (I think there is a re[eat layout just mirrored somewhere?)

Bizzaro is the only standout ride in this whole park, I enjoyed Goliath, Batman and Cyclone, but the other 7 were literally +1's so much so that if I were to go again I would probably spend the day riding Bizzaro.

We had a very enjoyable if a bit interesting day at SFNE though as it was our first trip, and getting Bizzaro, which really is, that good!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO-5fw9wYkk[/youtube]

Next - Cedar Point

Colossus

Giga Poster
^
I haven't really had the time yo sit down and think about it, although it is on my to do list so I will probably sit down and have a think at some point.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Brilliant Nick. What was your opinion of your first Six Flags park? Loads of people seem to hate SFNE, but I thought it was absolutely fine. It's not outstanding or anything but just, well, "fine".

I'm the same, I'd head back for Bizarro tomorrow, but the rest of the rides are all good enough but nothing spectacular - except maybe the GIB, but I've done one yet. If I lived in the area, it'd be a great local park though IMO.

I did Bizarro before BD, so I thought Bizarro was the dog's bollocks, then hit BD a few hours later and had to reassess my life :lol: It was great to have it as a superb experience fresh though for those few hours.

andrus

Giga Poster
Colossus said:
Re-rides couldnt happen just yet because my head was spinning and there was more creds to get. So next was Wildcat, less said about this the better, it also hurt, to be fair this may not have been totally the rides fault, my post Boulder Dash headache probably contributed to this.
It was definitely the rides fault, trust me! To be fair I can only think of a handful of rides worse than Wildcat, and most of them are SLC's... It might be a classic, but a horribly rough classic!

Colossus said:
Somehow we ended up at the other end of the ark after some wandering about, after my sprinkler drowning and about 10 Powerade refills we were still scorching hot so we hit up the rapids, which are actually quite cool, the station building is very nice (sorry my senseless mind didn't take any pictures) it looks like an old factory building.
100 % agree, I loved the SFNE rapids :--D A fairly unique theming and layout, nicely done. And very wet as well!

Great report so far! It's nice to see someone else do the same trip as I, and fellow CF:ers, did last year :) It'll be exciting to see how your experiences differ from ours!