What's new

Track Appears at Fun Spot Kissimmee for RMC Retrack of Mine Blower

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
So we all know that Mine Blower hasn't exactly aged well during its fairly short lifespan, and probably isn't a contender for having the glossiest trackwork. Back in the day Fun Spot America brought in two separate contractors to track the lift/drop/first inversion and the rest of the layout. The latter did a notoriously poor job and as a result has given us one of the most inexcusably roughest wooden coasters of the modern age, not helped by Timberliners making any pea-bedridden princess look like she has Congenital Insensitivity. Mine Blower's joltiness especially stands out against the glass smooth White Lightning experience just down the road, and in recent months it's become obvious that something needed to be done.

I first heard rumblings in February that RMC would come in and fix up Mine Blower, and Fun Spot president John Arie Jr. seemed to hint at it last month. Now alleged track has shown up at Kissimmee today, bearing markings similar to those of Tremor's 208 Retrak at Silverwood. So yes, this could be pretty good;

Edit: Moved from original construction topic to new thread. - ECG

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm ... I'm fine with keeping it a separate thread for now, as the construction thread is unstickied and relegated to the bottom of its forum, after all. Perhaps we can merge the threads and re-stick when work begins on-site? So many interesting possibilities here ...

For now, I'd just be happy with a more in-depth explanation of why the coaster needs re-tracking when it's barely five years old.

Rob Coasters

Hyper Poster
For now, I'd just be happy with a more in-depth explanation of why the coaster needs re-tracking when it's barely five years old.
Believe that shoddy & rushed tracklaying to get the ride open by summer caused it to open with an already quite horrendous rattle, and constant complaints of roughness to this day. Some say it adds to the ride. Others swear an oath to never go near it again

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
As an avid mine blower fan, it definitely needs this. The layout is incredible, but the ride is so shockingly rough due to aforementioned construction issues that it’s almost hard to focus on the awesome layout and elements. The first time I rode it, I said “if that were smooth it would be top 15,” and now it’s happening! Very excited to see this go up and eventually ride it.

Cascade

Roller Poster
Maybe the total cost for Arieforce 1 would also include this project. If that's true, 18 million seems quite reasonable.

hersheyfan410

Roller Poster
So if the coaster’s rough because of a scuffed construction job, then why don’t they just retrack the ride with wood? Why didn’t they just build an RMC in the first place if they don’t want to deal with maintaining a wooden coaster? Very confusing but this was unforeseen at the time. At least Funspot seems to have a good relationship with RMC and we’ll hopefully see them continue to build more attractions for those parks.

Niles

Giga Poster
Fun spot have given a press release on the 208 Retrack, they say they are aiming to have the coaster ready before the busy summer season.
1.jpg
Source

JackFish

Mega Poster
Maybe Im missing something, but has it been said if this will be conventionally RMC'd or if It will just be a retrack like lightning rod's conversion to I-box track? I think an RMC conversion would be a great idea for smoothness and keeping the original ride experience, and RMC'ing it would not be a good idea as it already has an inversion and was designed by the best coaster designer, Gravity Group.

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
Maybe Im missing something, but has it been said if this will be conventionally RMC'd or if It will just be a retrack like lightning rod's conversion to I-box track? I think an RMC conversion would be a great idea for smoothness and keeping the original ride experience, and RMC'ing it would not be a good idea as it already has an inversion and was designed by the best coaster designer, Gravity Group.
It’s a like-for-like retrack with RMC’s 208 RetraK.

TrevorHarkness

Roller Poster
It's certainly unfortunate when a roller coaster doesn't live up to expectations and ends up being rough or uncomfortable to ride. In the case of Mine Blower at Fun Spot America, it sounds like the coaster's roughness may be due to issues with the trackwork, particularly on the portion of the layout that was done by a contractor who didn't do a good job.