What's new

Thorpe Park | Hyperia | Mack Hyper Coaster | 2024

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Very unlikely to test today.

It's windy round the local area, the park have closed several rides for a prolonged period of time due to the wind. Not to say that would stop testing, but it increases risk.

Weather is also set to be similar tomorrow. So the park may have to reach a point where they go "Regardless of the weather, we have to test it now", depending on their schedule.

No doubt it is close though.

Matt N

CF Legend
Very unlikely to test today.

It's windy round the local area, the park have closed several rides for a prolonged period of time due to the wind. Not to say that would stop testing, but it increases risk.

Weather is also set to be similar tomorrow. So the park may have to reach a point where they go "Regardless of the weather, we have to test it now", depending on their schedule.

No doubt it is close though.
It depends on if it exceeds Mack’s wind speed limit requirement for it to operate, doesn’t it? I assume that they’d go by the same limit when testing as they would when operating, wouldn’t they?

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It depends on if it exceeds Mack’s wind speed limit requirement for it to operate, doesn’t it? I assume that they’d go by the same limit when testing as they would when operating, wouldn’t they?

I can't comment on what it is like for testing.

However, I know that there are different restrictions for wind speed, temperature, etc when a ride is in the hands of an engineering team (ie testing) and when a ride is in the hands of operations (ie with people on). For example, the engineering team might be able to run a ride in 40mph wind, but the operations team only in 30mph. This is what would be outlined between the manufacturer and the park's own engineering and H&S teams.

You are correct that it would ultimately come down to Mack's requirements, but how the park choose to implement that going forward is a different ball game.

I also imagine that for the first test, there may be some reluctance to run it in particularly windy conditions, for example, given the location.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Yeah and given that The Ride To Happiness stalled on the top hat once when somebody farted in the queue line, I suspect the Mack boys will be keen to avoid that happening again, especially on their newest hypercoaster's maiden test run with so much attention on it right now. Wouldn't be surprised if those windspeed limits are extra stringent at the moment.

Intamin Forever

Mega Poster
Now, after scrolling through Twitter/X - I have noted that John Burton himself is on site, the chain has been testing, cameras have been set up across the site and the rumours say that there is security down Monks Walk...

It's looking highly likely that it will test early on tomorrow morning, or just later tonight.... It feels like the 8pm announcement at Towers all over again... 🤣 🤣

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The rumour mill is annoying me today, there's no basis for the 7pm rumour I can see, wind speeds are ridiculous even at ground level even now, security can't move you on or stop you filming on Monk's Walk as it is a public footpath. Chertsey (actually half the country) is on a yellow warning of wind until 10pm.

I can totally believe they had planned to test today, but weather trumps all unfortunately.

Some people just like to make things up for the social media attention, and it's pretty pathetic.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
From what I now understand:

Today was the plan, but put off due to weather.

If today was the plan, it naturally follows that tomorrow will be the target. But again, if weather prove tricky (similar wind speeds are expected), it may again not happen.

I saw on Twitter that someone said Hyperia's lift hill chain was running today, and posted a short clip. From what I can tell, it wasn't actually running, and the noise heard was in fact a whirring whistle noise that happens when the wind blows through the lift hill stairs.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
From what I now understand:

Today was the plan, but put off due to weather.

If today was the plan, it naturally follows that tomorrow will be the target. But again, if weather prove tricky (similar wind speeds are expected), it may again not happen.

I saw on Twitter that someone said Hyperia's lift hill chain was running today, and posted a short clip. From what I can tell, it wasn't actually running, and the noise heard was in fact a whirring whistle noise that happens when the wind blows through the lift hill stairs.
Iphone app is showing gusts drop to below 30mph from 11am in Staines, with average speeds of around 16mph... From 2:30 those gusts drop to just 25mph... 🤞

But that's the Iphone app, so it probably means there definitely won't be any testing tomorrow due to hurricanes and tornadoes. 🙈😂🤣

Today’s wind hit us pretty hard here. We have a pretty tall tree on our car park, that would easily take out buildings. I’ve never seen it move like it was doing today, I thought it was done for!

IMG_2221.jpeg