What's new

Parc Astérix | Toutatis | Intamin Launch Coaster | 2023

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Ladies and gentlemen, choose your fighter...

Phantasialand: We'll build our coaster and wait years before opening it
Disney: We'll spend years building our coaster
Universal: We won't announce our coaster but spend years building it anyway
Parc Asterix: We'll announce our coaster, but won't build it for years

And then there's EnergyLandia: We'll spend weeks building our coaster, and before it's even finished we'll announce the next two.

Last edited:

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Call me a skeptic (and not that it matters, frankly), but my bet would be that this is coming from the Intamin side rather than the Parc Asterix side.

Something seems funny to me about differing an investment intended for two years away, and not just canning it altogether. My guess is that Intamin have seen too many projects for 2020 slowed down, which puts them on the back foot for 2021, and they're not sure they'd be able to finish this one in time for construction to start next year.

Matt N

CF Legend
If it is down to Intamin, I'd love to see the compensation package they'll offer ?
In the theme park industry, “compensation package” usually means “another roller coaster built by them”, so that should be exciting if Intamin goes down that route! Arrow allegedly offered Kings Island Vortex as compensation for the issues with the Bat (the original), and I did hear somewhere that Intamin offered Taron to Phantasialand as compensation for the issues with Chiapas.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Yeah, Taron was not compensation. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they purchased Chiapas and Taron together and got a deal. The same could be for Raik and F.L.Y perhaps?

I have no evidence for this at all by the way.

Matt N

CF Legend
I did think that 2 years seemed like a quick turnaround for a detailed area like Klugheim... correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Silbermine already being demolished when Chiapas opened?

Also, come to think of it, I do remember someone mentioning a two-ride deal with Intamin like the one @Ethan mentioned; the deal with Intamin was signed when Chiapas was built and encompassed Chiapas & Taron. When Klugheim was built, the park signed a new two-ride deal with Vekoma, which encompasses Raik and FLY.

I think that’s the rough rumoured details, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
I did think that 2 years seemed like a quick turnaround for a detailed area like Klugheim... correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t Silbermine already being demolished when Chiapas opened?

Also, come to think of it, I do remember someone mentioning a two-ride deal with Intamin like the one @Ethan mentioned; the deal with Intamin was signed when Chiapas was built and encompassed Chiapas & Taron. When Klugheim was built, the park signed a new two-ride deal with Vekoma, which encompasses Raik and FLY.

I think that’s the rough rumoured details, but feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.
Yes. Demolition and ground work was under way a few months before it opened. I think 4 years of Klugheim planning was mentioned before work started.
Rumours of the park planning or looking into a flying coaster have around more than a decade so who knows how early the agreement was struck with Vekoma. Its very plausible the 3 blockbuster projects (Chiapas, Klugheim, Rookburgh) were part of 2 deals.

toofpikk

Mega Poster
Rumour I heard was that intamin sold Taron for manufacturing costs only, after the problems with Chiapas. Kinda makes sense if they had already signed a contract and with just how bad the Chiapas problems were. Again... Just a rumour.

Lofty

CF Legend
In the theme park industry, “compensation package” usually means “another roller coaster built by them”
No, no it does not... it means a change in the cost of the product from the manufacturer that just eats into their profit margin at the end of the project.

Parks don't just release £10m to manufacturers, there's a process with payment timelines etc. and a lot of the time it involves a percentage being paid after the project ends, which tends to be a high percentage of the profit margin as there are no manufacturing costs post-project (minus any modifications that need to be done that are down to the manufacturer, but there'll be a contingency in the budget and this will have been planned in advance).

Last edited:

Clrun4

Roller Poster
Sucks this is being pushed all the to 2023! Was this not originally intended for 21? Lol. Euro parks with their +5 years from announcement to openings ?

You're right, it was originally meant to open next year, as it is for its "twin" at Walibi Belgium.

Unfortunately, the park is located in a protected forest, the forest of Ermenonville, so studies had to be done to evaluate the impact on the nature. Moreover, the underground of the area is filled with water, which will be a minor issue for the lower zones of the ride.

These studies took more time than expected to be completed, leading to the report in 2022. And then gently came the Covid-19, postponing again the ride.

You're right, it was originally meant to open next year, as it is for its "twin" at Walibi Belgium.

Unfortunately, the park is located in a protected forest, the forest of Ermenonville, so studies had to be done to evaluate the impact on the nature. Moreover, the underground of the area is filled with water, which will be a minor issue for the lower zones of the ride.

These studies took more time than expected to be completed, leading to the report in 2022. And then gently came the Covid-19, postponing again the ride.
I hope that this is the last pushback though and this will be one of the world's standout coasters for the 2023 season