What's new

Movie Park Germany | Movie Park Studio Tour | Intamin Multi Dimension Coaster | 2021

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Skipping watching the POV because I don't want to spoil the overall experience (even though I doubt I'll get to ride it till next year at the absolute earliest). Especially since I've always viewed this as more dark ride than cred; something Peet's comment seems to support.

People's comments, here and elsewhere, of the POV sound promising though. The experience this advertised in the build up is a perfect fit for the park, and it sounds like it's delivered.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
That is all quite Fab! love it! As a dark ride Goon I'm thrilled, definite hints of CanCan coaster and wonder if this is Movie Parks response to that installation, I really dig these 'story coasters'! And as Sadly I hear Hollywood tour at Phantasialand will not open again - this will fill that thematic gap in the Europe.

Bravo movie Park

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
Looks like quite a lot of coaster to me…!

I can’t tell what is going on at all at around 55 seconds into that video. Just…. wut?! How is it moving like that?

edit - I can only guess that it’s the camera work in the final bit of the rotation that makes it look weird. It’s looks like the cameraman is pointing in the direction he / she wants the coaster to go!

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
edit - I can only guess that it’s the camera work in the final bit of the rotation that makes it look weird. It’s looks like the cameraman is pointing in the direction he / she wants the coaster to go!
Probably turning the camera a little early in anticipation of the coaster's movement.

ricky coasters

Roller Poster
This looks like the Intamin version of the Dynamic Attractions SFX coaster
Intamin really is ''getting inspired'' by lots of manufacturers...

MLDesigns

Hyper Poster
^at least this one isn't taking 5+ years to open🤭

Can't really add much here since its pretty unanimous, but this looks like a fab addition. Hopefully onride you'll be able to pick up the story more than the video, cause it moves pretty fast through those show scenes. Overall I'm a fan!

Last edited:

JoshC.

Strata Poster
I really do like the look of this. Though I have to admit, I'm not sure it's the kind of coaster they needed given that they have VHF.

I think the simple thought process here is that Van Helsing is dark / horror theme and so has a narrow target audience.
This is a theme accessible to everyone (multigenerational perhaps, heh), and more in line with the current direction and audience the park has.

Arguably they didn't even need another coaster any time soon, and particularly this space would have been better for a dark ride. But I guess this does help expand the line up, and likely will end up complimenting VHF rather than treading on its toe.

Matt N

CF Legend
I also get the impression that Van Helsing is more “coastery” whereas this is more “dark ridey”. Correct me if I’m wrong there.

chainedbanana

Hyper Poster
I really do like the look of this. Though I have to admit, I'm not sure it's the kind of coaster they needed given that they have VHF.

I disagree - I think there are plenty of differences I can see - also i feel Movie park has a formula and theme they are trying to get back to of rides through 'sets' in 'sound studios' ......and it's unique to them and think it will work well for them instead of trying to be like other parks.

Trax

Hyper Poster
So.... a new ride opening close to Cologne.... you can guess where I have been today:)

The queue is mostly a cattle pen outside, so nothing special so far. Every once in a while a group of 1-2 trains worth of people will be let inside (I guess there will be more once Corona is over). You enter a Pre-show room which does not much except for telling you that you are going to visit 3 sets where the director Steven Thrillberg is currently making 3 movies at ones. Afterwards you are let into a corridor with some "transparent" doors, where you can see what the people do inside. This is of course achieved using screens instead of glass.
In addition, there are 2 rooms with tons of object from the parks past. There is a model of Bermuda Triangle (now Area 51), and Van Helsings Factory, old pictures from the parks construction, a Six Flags helmet and so on. We really found something new every single time we rode the coaster.

The corridor can hold ~10 to 15 minutes of queue until you reach the stairs to the station. At this point, single riders can join the Single rider queue, which makes little sense as you have to wait for 1 train maximum if you stand at the bottom of the stairs. There is a baggage hold in the station and then you can board the train.

The ride itself can be seen on the onride videos arround, so I will focus on other things than the layout. It features quite a lot special effects. From the "stuttering" track, the switchtracks to wind and even heating lamps. Those effects really make the ride what it is. The coaster parts are both quite short, with the first one just being a 180° curve.
There are of course lots of blank spots during the ride. BUT, with it being themed to a movieset, this is totally fine. Theming something to a movie-set is of course quite cheap, but with it being MOVIE park I don't mind at all. The sets (and backstage storages) you enter look quite good, with lots of stuff and details to explore. For example, you can find a Gremlin during the ride (for those who do not know: There used to be a Gremlins dark ride in the hall where Van Helsings Factory is now located), which I found quite cool. Unfortunately, you are passing most of the sets pretty quick, so you have just a few seconds to spot something.
Is everything perfect? Of course not. But comparing it to the rest of the park, it is a good step up in quality and makes the park as a whole more attractive.

The thrill level is quite low, but it is enough for smaller children to enjoy. In my opinion you have to see this more as a darkride, than a coaster. If this is your mindset, you will most likely enjoy this ride. I really liked it and feel like it's a great addition to the park and finally giving some new live to the old Ice Age hall. I think I'd give this ride a B- or B for what it is. A partly great experience with some (smaller) downers, which do not detract too much. It is for sure a "good" attraction, but not amazing.

Make sure to give it a try if you can.

PS: I wish the onboard sound would be quite a bit louder, you can barely here it most of the time.

Last edited:

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Also rode today and really enjoyed it. Love all the details and easter eggs. There's so much to discover and spot; you can really tell this was a passion project for the park's team.
Real good fun dark ride/coaster hybrid attraction for families - I hope it really does well for them. Great reinvention of the cliche Studio Tram Tour attraction in Movie Parks/at Studios into something more exciting and unique.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Wait, when is this coaster opening? The thread title says 2021, so ...

... oh, right. June 23. And there are trip reports in the thread already. Of course. But it remains sticky anyway, because apparently I've been asleep all summer.

Stick removed.