What's new

Liseberg | Luna | Vekoma Family Boomerang | 2023

The_bullgod

Mega Poster
Assume they'll only do ground work and maybe footers during the season. Everything using a crane is out of the question and will be done after the season is over.
I hope so, because I will visit Liseberg this summer, and want to ride Lisebergbanan too

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
Assume they'll only do ground work and maybe footers during the season. Everything using a crane is out of the question and will be done after the season is over.
So similar to when Blackpool built Icon as i remember they did all the footers in the closed season and did majority of the track work the following closed season.

Christian

Hyper Poster
They have tarped off quite a big area where the station will go. There are also markers around the area (this one is next to Uppsvinget). 20220430_175850.jpg

I imagine they will temporarily close Lisebergsbanan when Balder reopens. They won't have both closed at the same time.

SimonProD

Mega Poster
I hope so, because I will visit Liseberg this summer, and want to ride Lisebergbanan too
Same here - same here. Have already ridden it so many times but would not be the same - as I'll be there the week before Midsommar its likely busy and Lisebergbanan has some serious capacity.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Same here - same here. Have already ridden it so many times but would not be the same - as I'll be there the week before Midsommar its likely busy and Lisebergbanan has some serious capacity.

With Balder closed there will be capacity issues this summer. Balder is a capacity eater. Queues will be longer this summer. Liseberg usually gets stupidly long queues anyways in the summer so this will be pretty bad.

Liseberg will not close Lisebergsbanan before they open Balder! They have already had enough negative press this season, they desperately don't want more.

shigu

Roller Poster
As a long-time Liseberg visitor and enthusiast. I would personally love to see Balder get an RMC retrack once the other projects are settled. Kolmården really slapped Liseberg in the face by constructing Wildfire.
An even more preferrable alternative would be the construction of a hyper or even a giga if Liseberg seriously wants to compete.

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
What do you define as a stupidly long queue?

2 hours for Helix and Valkyria and 1 hour for Lisebergsbanan. That's how it is in summer. This is also the first year that they have the virtual queue and full park capacity. Expect even longer lines now with Balder down.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Welp, new hyper it is then hopefully. South-east end of the park is reportedly being expanded after the water park opens.

Have a highly reliable source that it won't happen. There is a huge volvo museum, new hotel tower (not liseberg) and hopefully new warehouse going there instead.

shigu

Roller Poster
Have a highly reliable source that it won't happen. There is a huge volvo museum, new hotel tower (not liseberg) and hopefully new warehouse going there instead.
Well, a limitation like that would make sure Liseberg stays a minor theme park (coaster-wise) then, unless they find space elsewhere.
Compared to major parks, Liseberg has a huge deficit in large coasters, but still sees a lot of visitors, causing enormous lines.

Last edited:

cookie

Giga Poster
Honestly, I think RMC Balder would just be pointless. Balder is already a hugely popular people-eater running two larger Intamin trains, and you're sacking an already great wooden coaster for the sake of a hybrid that's likely to pale compared to Wildfire anyhow, would be running smaller trains thus reducing capacity, and likely make it too intimidating for some people who would've otherwise ridden it to boot.

I'm not sure a lot of enthusiasts would even prefer it either. I know I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
Well, a limitation like that would make sure Liseberg stays a minor theme park (coaster-wise) then, unless they find space elsewhere.

Liseberg is an incredibly land limited park. It's in the downtown of Sweden's second largest city. I think those limitations on their own make this an incredibly unique park. Liseberg will never be the biggest park with the biggest coaster selection but I think they compensate by making all their additions excellent. It's also a pretty unique park in the sense that many visitors don't ride anything.

RMC Balder, NO WAY! It's like RMC El Toro. Some woodies just don't need RMC.

shigu

Roller Poster
Liseberg is an incredibly land limited park. It's in the downtown of Sweden's second largest city. I think those limitations on their own make this an incredibly unique park. Liseberg will never be the biggest park with the biggest coaster selection but I think they compensate by making all their additions excellent. It's also a pretty unique park in the sense that many visitors don't ride anything.

RMC Balder, NO WAY! It's like RMC El Toro. Some woodies just don't need RMC.
There is a great opportunity of expansion south of Balder. The run-down warehouse currently located on that plot pales in importance when you look the economic return of such an endeavour. Also, let's not forget that a part of Liseberg got torn down for construction of an underground train tunnel, they may build something there as well when it is complete.

Balder may remain as it is, but what Liseberg is missing and should prioritize after Oceana is a huge roller coaster (hyper/giga/strata) that can help with pulling visitors from all of Europe. Helix was supposed to be that, but I am still a huge fan of what they did instead.

Last edited:

Christian

Hyper Poster
There is a great opportunity of expansion south of Balder. The run-down warehouse currently located on that plot pales in importance when you look the economic return of such an endeavour. Also, let's not forget that a part of Liseberg got torn down for construction of an underground train tunnel, they may build something there as well when it is complete.

Balder may remain as it is, but what Liseberg is missing and should prioritize after Oceana is a huge roller coaster (hyper/giga/strata) that can help with pulling visitors from all of Europe. Helix was supposed to be that, but I am still a huge fan of what they did instead.

There is an eventual plan to expand south of Balder. They even have approved zoning for it. But the importance of those warehouses is massive. Without those warehouses Liseberg wouldn't run. I had a tour of them about a month ago and they are outdated and need replacement but they are absolutely vital to keep the park running. They need to be incorporated and expanded in an eventual future build.

As I have always said. As soon as the train station is done (delays are hinted but not confirmed) then Liseberg will build something on that plot.

Christian

Hyper Poster
20220607_145854.jpg

Now that the park is open all week, work has stopped on Luna. Workers, containers, tools, machinery, etc have all been removed. Construction materials have been tarped off. Seems like they are waiting to close Lisebergsbanan which they won't do untill Balder reopens. Liseberg seems to be exceptionally busy this season and it would be utter chaos with 2/4 major coasters closed.