What's new

Kent, England | The London Resort | Entertainment Complex

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Source: http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpres ... 685536999A

Plans for a new £2 billion "Disney-style" entertainment centre in Britain which would create up to 27,000 jobs have been unveiled.

The new development by Hollywood-based Paramount Pictures will transform an 872-acre brownfield site in the Swanscombe Peninsula in Kent into one of the largest regeneration projects in Europe, the consortium behind the project claimed.

At the heart of the proposed development is Europe's leading entertainment destination, with a Paramount-branded entertainment resort and leisure district.

It will feature Europe's largest indoor water park, theatres, live music venues, attractions, cinemas, restaurants, event space and hotels and, if given the go-ahead, will be twice the size of the Olympic site and should open in 2018.

The site is on the doorstep of Ebbsfleet International railway station, which will provide a 17-minute journey time into London, and two hours to Paris.

Tony Sefton, project leader for the development company London Resort Company Holdings (LRCH), said the plans were Britain's next major regeneration project following the Olympics.

"Our vision is to create a world-class entertainment destination, the first of its kind in the UK," he said.

"We are at the start of a long journey, but have been encouraged by the support and buy-in we have had to date. We are particularly pleased with the appetite we are seeing from investors, who consider this a compelling investment proposition.

"Over the next 12-18 months we will be progressing the planning application, while embarking on a wide-reaching programme of community consultation, while securing further commercial agreements with third parties. Our timetable for delivery, including the planning application process and construction timetable, is geared towards completion and opening in 2018."

LRCH has signed an agreement with Paramount Licensing Inc, the licensing division of Paramount Pictures, to give exclusive UK licensing for a Paramount entertainment resort at the heart of the site.

spicy

Giga Poster
Re: New Paramount park for England 2018

Picture of the proposed site:

disneyland-kent_2362863b.jpg

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... -Kent.html

Sounds awesome! Whether it actually goes ahead or not is another thing but the fact that there is potentially a £2 billion Paramount park being built on my doorstep is very exciting.

Doesn't look like its actually a theme park with coasters etc, more of an entertainments venue, so it wouldn't be rivaling DLP at all.

It looks like its proposed for the pit thats opposite bluewater and will be built into the pit like bluewater is.

Edit- After watching this Sky News video here: http://www.planetrock.com/news/entertai ... and-paris/

Its going to built near to the Thames, not next to bluewater.

A

Anonymous

They soo need some coasters or something to add to it

Nic

Strata Poster

Yeah, I'm also assuming this is for the pit opposite Bluewater. Thing is, I swear only like a week ago I heard/read somewhere that they were finally getting close to putting residential developments in there. I can't find it anywhere though, so I might've made that up. Sadly I can't see this happening, but it'd be awesome if it does.

Apart from the fact that it's cycling distance from my parents' house, I think it's actually a fantastic location for something like this. There's already a lot of people visiting the area anyway, and the infrastructure has been developed so much over the last few years that it could easily cope with plenty more. There's a huge number of people living within a relatively short distance, as well as the links to the continent as mentioned above, meaning it would have a large enough catchment area to be viable. Also, as it's so easily accessible from London, I can see it attracting tourists who are holidaying in the capital.

All in all, I think this is a good idea, and would love to see it actually happen.

EDIT: Looking at this article (http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/ ... _park.aspx) and a good look at google maps, it's not the pit opposite Bluewater afterall. The article suggests it's the green areas directly around/north of Ebbsfleet station. The empty pit is the brown area to the south west of the station.

nadroJ

CF Legend

But.....Paramount....that just brings back painful memories of the turd hole that is Kings Dominion. As long as it's not like that then yeah, this can happen.

I'm also really wary of completely 'new' parks though. They never seem to be doing very well? Hard Rock failed, Ranbow MagicLand was quite vile although it did have some good rides and the Happy Valley parks in China look gross too.

Obviously I hope it happens because yay new park for the UK and that is a HUGE deal! However, part of me would rather see smaller parks in our country continue to flourish rather than a new beast coming along and taking all the spotlight. But, on the other hand, it might (probably WILL) force the other M25 parks to up their game. Which could pave the way for more awesome.

peep

CF Legend

That picture doesn't make it look like a normal theme park and more of an entertainment complex but still, yay! A new park near to me is always a good thing :D

With a decent budget and 6 years till it opens this could be a very interesting development.

Why a theme park isn't just opening on the Olympic site is beyond me anyway, it's an ideal location and there's more than enough space.

owentaylor121

Giga Poster

Is that a wooden coaster I see?
The U.k does need something like, too bad I wont be here anymore when it opens, if it does open.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I hope the jobs are permanent rather than seasonal.

27,000 jobs are great, but would be amazing if they were permanent jobs. Not the end of the world if they're seasonal. But it's helpful if they are.

Martyn B

CF Legend

Well lets see how far they get with the Paramount resort in Spain before we get giddy about this one.

Mark

Strata Poster

Oooo. Could be very interesting and exciting if this goes ahead. That would be less than an hour drive for us. WANT!

Its actually right across the Thames from Grays, which is where I grew up.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

It looks to me that there's some sort of wooden coaster structure on the left side of the park. If it is, that looks brilliant

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

Hmmmmmmmm yeah. I do love how when these far-fetched ideas are proposed in other countries, everyone's all, quite rightly, like "not gonna happen".

When something similar is proposed here, people are booking train tickets and time off work.

Considering the Paramount theme park in Korea was supposed to open in 2011, and so far there's just dirt and a few billboards, I'm not getting my hopes up.