What's new

In the song 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas'...

Good tidings we bring to you and your...

• King

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Kin

Votes: 9 64.3%

• Total voters
In the song 'We Wish You A Merry Christmas'... are the lyrics 'good tidings we bring to you and your king' or 'kin'? It's a hotly debated subject in my family and I wondered what you guys had been singing all these years. The elderly and teenagers tend to say 'king' and the middle-aged say 'kin'... personally I say king...

Will

Strata Poster
I knew this was coming from the moment I saw the topic title. The lyrics are, and always have been kin :roll:

AeRo

Hyper Poster
:oops: I have been singignthe wrong ones for all these years then....damned English origins....and there was me thinking that it had something to do with mangers and babies.....meh you learn something new everyday!

Sam

Giga Poster
Just because king rhymes better with bring does not mean it is the correct lyric- kin is the correct word.

A

Anonymous

Its Kin, although I always sang it king through primary school, as did most of the assemablly. I dunno why really.

joe

Mega Poster
Kin sounds alot better and it is correct. I used to think it was king, but that was in Primary School.

simon155

Roller Poster
This has just popped up in a very widely known survey, so it seems OK to bring this back to life. In short, the vast majority of us will only ever learn it in primary school. Due to the comparative sounds, it will only take a tiny proportion adding the "g" for kids to hear it as King. The net effect is that those learning it by sound are far more likely to respond with king. Those learning it with paper printouts and clearer dictation more likely to respond with kin. Both frankly sound close enough that if you find yourself arguing the point and dwelling on it too heavily, perhaps you should be finding something more meaningful to do with your life :)