What's new

Happy Valley Beijing | Music Roller Coaster | B&M Hyper Coaster

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Perhaps why the reason that these Asian coasters have such "bizarre" names to us English-speakers, is because the names are typically not intended for English translations. Most likely these names sound very normal to Asian parkgoers - kind of like how the coaster names of Goliath, Raven, Wild Eagle, etc. don't sound peculiar to us.
Indeed. To take a famous example from my own language, the word "bat" sounds kinda badass in English. One syllable, a short, sharp word. Hence a superhero named Batman sounds totally awesome (and hence, Batman: The Ride). But in Norwegian, the word for bat is "flaggermus", which may be translated back to English as "flutter-mouse". So while in English, Batman is a very cool name for a superhero, in Norwegian it sounds ridiculous. "The flutter mouse man" is more like an escaped mental patient than a dark knight of justice.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Indeed. To take a famous example from my own language, the word "bat" sounds kinda badass in English. One syllable, a short, sharp word. Hence a superhero named Batman sounds totally awesome (and hence, Batman: The Ride). But in Norwegian, the word for bat is "flaggermus", which may be translated back to English as "flutter-mouse". So while in English, Batman is a very cool name for a superhero, in Norwegian it sounds ridiculous. "The flutter mouse man" is more like an escaped mental patient than a dark knight of justice.

To add a little on this off-topic linguistic stuff, the French word for bat is 'chauve-souris', literally meaning... 'bald mouse'. In fact, I remember back in my childhood 'l'homme chauve-souris' ('the bald mouse-man') was indeed regularly used as a synonym for Batman, as just using the English word wasn't as widespread in France as today.

I've been learning Chinese on-and-off for several years, and one definite pattern I noticed is most words are monosyllabic or disyllabic (过山车/guòshānchē, the word for roller coaster being one exception). As a result, names which length are fairly reasonable in Chinese, sometimes end up awkwardly long and weird-sounding when translated into English - or any other Western language for that matter. Exemple: Yúnxiāo fēichē/云霄飞车 becomes 'Coaster Through the Clouds'.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
To add a little on this off-topic linguistic stuff, the French word for bat is 'chauve-souris', literally meaning... 'bald mouse'. In fact, I remember back in my childhood 'l'homme chauve-souris' ('the bald mouse-man') was indeed regularly used as a synonym for Batman, as just using the English word wasn't as widespread in France as today.

I've been learning Chinese on-and-off for several years, and one definite pattern I noticed is most words are monosyllabic or disyllabic (过山车/guòshānchē, the word for roller coaster being one exception). As a result, names which length are fairly reasonable in Chinese, sometimes end up awkwardly long and weird-sounding when translated into English - or any other Western language for that matter. Exemple: Yúnxiāo fēichē/云霄飞车 becomes 'Coaster Through the Clouds'.

There's one slight flaw in that theory in regards to this topic:

Himalayan Eagle Music Roller Coaster = 喜马拉雅雄鹰音乐过山车

It's just as bad in Chinese.

Hutch

Strata Poster
It'll have a Diamondback style splashdown right? If so, don't expect it to ride that fast in the helix.

I'm hoping this will turn out to be a solid ride. It always looked pretty underwhelming to me but perhaps it'll be enjoyable nonetheless.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
I hope it has more speed going over the hills; if that recreation is 100% accurate, I don't expect there to be much if any.

Matt N

CF Legend
Wow; going back to 9 rows for the first time in 13 years is certainly an interesting move! Wonder why they did it, as I thought B&M were making the 7-row regular trains like Mako and the Hershey hyper have standard these days?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Wow; going back to 9 rows for the first time in 13 years is certainly an interesting move! Wonder why they did it, as I thought B&M were making the 7-row regular trains like Mako and the Hershey hyper have standard these days?
In real terms - B&M will give you whatever you want (and pay for), so maybe it just comes down to this park demanding something specific. Maybe the park are self-aware enough of the fact that they'll only ever be running this on one train! :p

B&M probably just have some nice stats for throughput-cost ratios for different length trains, and I'd guess that the 7-row trains are somehow optimised for some performance characteristic (factoring in the extra length station, more air gates, more sensors, etc that also all come with more rows). Quite what that would be though, or if there is another motivating factor, I wouldn't know.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Little off topic, but I never realised this park got a PINK FAMILY B&M INVERT last year! I love these little things, can we get one in the UK please?
Screen-Shot-2019-04-05-at-08-41-00.png

Baby B&Ms FTW.