What's new

GhostRider revamp at Knott's Berry Farm

singforfood

Roller Poster
I work for Knott's and I've found out from someone in Rides Maintenance and also one of the team leads that GhostRider will be going down for a long rehab in September of this year that's expected to last 6-9 months, and will be done by an outside firm.

I have a couple other friends in the Rides department who are going to do some asking around / snooping and see if they can find out who the contracted company is. It would be so exciting if it got topper track from RMC.

Snoo

The Legend
So you heard from a guy, who knows a guy, that works in Dippin Dots, who thinks RMC is going to revamp the ride?

Reliable. ;)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
An Iron Horse would be great, but I doubt it.

A normal topper track reno would be fine.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

John Knotts

Mega Poster
Well, often things that eventually come to fruition start off as rumors people have "heard". Screamscape is now reporting it, and I personally have heard rumblings among "in the know" industry people that Ghostrider will be the star of a 2016 renovation of parts of Ghost Town.

However, I expect Ghostrider the remain wooden receive a topper track remake.

singforfood

Roller Poster
Snoo said:
So you heard from a guy, who knows a guy, that works in Dippin Dots, who thinks RMC is going to revamp the ride?

Reliable. ;)

Spoke directly to one employee in Rides Maintenance and another employee who is a team lead on GR. Neither of them know who is doing the work, just that it's an outside contractor.

andrus

Giga Poster
^Could be regular topper track though. Just because it's RMC it doesn't mean that they're going to change the layout. I would say RMC or GCI are the most likely :)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Certainly has been a rumor mill churn of Cedar Fair moving forward with RMC. I'm sure there isn't a single person who would think this is a bad idea.

Word on the street is that elsewhere in the Cedar Fair world, Worlds of Fun is currently accepting bids for retrack and redesign from GCI and RMC. Again, can't go wrong with either.

Here's hoping that the great extermination of CCI and Dinn Corp. continues! :razz:

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The weirdest thing about Timberwolf is my only ride on it was quite brilliant. It was an empty train, and I sat solely in the back seat. While that usually is a recipe for rickety coaster rape - somehow I got great airtime, and didn't jostle too much in the corners. However, RMC would definitely work wonders for the ride.

There would be a certain irony in Cedar Fair working with GCI on this, GCI and Gravity Group being the naturally descendents of Dinn Corp. and CCI. :p

tomahawk

Strata Poster
The only time it was remotely bearable for me (I rode it maybe a dozen times to see if it got better, it never did) was the Live back in 2010. Other than that it was bone jarring bad. Ala Ghostrider now.

Ghostrider has an absolutely amazing layout, but if they do topper it, I hope they kill the mid course turnaround.

singforfood

Roller Poster
New update is that the park decided to not have GR closed during Haunt because they need the queue space to hold crowds. Will be going down for a couple weeks in September to prepare for Haunt and then probably again shortly after Haunt, if the pattern continues.

I've heard one employee say the park was going to use RMC, and another say that they tried but couldn't. Neither had particularly reliable sources, so the anticipation lives on.

singforfood

Roller Poster
Not GR, but park construction related... Riptide will be opening again...at some point. There is a new ride gondola chilling on a trailer at the back of the employee parking lot, so looks like they're making a go of getting it back up.

singforfood

Roller Poster
In case anyone didn't know...

GhostRider's rehab ("comprehensive restoration") has been confirmed by the park and is scheduled to begin September 8th. That phrasing sounds like a GCI re-track to me, but I'm still crossing my fingers for RMC topper track.

Screamin Swing is also being removed, closing September 8th.

All this is in preparation for the 75th anniversary of GhostTown next year.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Please kill the turnaround with a reprofiled turn and topper.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

John Knotts

Mega Poster
singforfood said:
I work for Knott's and I've found out from someone in Rides Maintenance and also one of the team leads that GhostRider will be going down for a long rehab in September of this year that's expected to last 6-9 months, and will be done by an outside firm.

I have a couple other friends in the Rides department who are going to do some asking around / snooping and see if they can find out who the contracted company is. It would be so exciting if it got topper track from RMC.

See...sometimes rumors are correct!

singforfood

Roller Poster
tomahawk said:
Please kill the turnaround with a reprofiled turn and topper.

That block brake would be important if they decide to bring back the 3rd train, and try to bump the capacity back up.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
They haven't had a second train in Xcelerator in years it seems, I think they have bigger problems than a third train on a ride with decent capacity as is.

singforfood

Roller Poster
tomahawk said:
They haven't had a second train in Xcelerator in years it seems, I think they have bigger problems than a third train on a ride with decent capacity as is.

Well, the Xcelerator situation is a little different... the 2nd train made such a small impact on capacity because the ride is so short, while still requiring maintenance time/money, so it's gone most likely forever.

A third train on GR (assuming the ride and load times stay relatively the same) could allow them to really keep the line moving with the popularity that will return when it reopens. Nowadays even with two trains, on an only moderate crowd day, the line can easily be 60-90 minutes (where Bullet would be 40-60). On the flip side... it could also just lead to constant stacking.