What's new

Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
Nawwww - first post Benw makes and is already cussed... Gosh lol

Benw, if there are any updates, it'll arrive here sooner or later. We'll always find out so stick tight :)

Pierre

Strata Poster
Not much of an update but Flamingo Land tweeted this a couple days ago...

BJXrMx7CUAE1Foj.jpg:large

First Hero column painted. So we know silver is part of the colourscheme :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

Well we knew it would be **** ages ago!

Seriously Flamingoland, this is not okay. You're supposed to be a decent park.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Flamingo Land |

Joey said:
Seriously Flamingoland, this is not okay. You're supposed to be a decent park.

Really? What changed in the last five years to make that happen?

EthC said:
Bit of a stupid question but what are the chances Hero will hurt like hell?

Similar to the chances of you having to breathe today ;)

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Well flamingo land has always brought different experiences. Maybe not good ones but different. I've never ridden one so it'll be something new.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Exactly. It's only the second flying coaster in the UK after Air being around for over 10 years now.

Clearly, it's not Air. It's not remotely close to Air in any way, shape or form - apart from in the way it can be sold and marketed, which is a very, very smart move.

It will be **** though. Nobody's going to deny that.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
People might slag off Flamingoland but I can't think of anther park in the UK that has consistently and significantly invested in new, "big" attractions (especially coasters, which I <3 the most) for the last 8 years (with the possible exception of 2010).

2005 - Velocity, Navigator
2006 - Kumali, Tractor Ride
2007 - Runaway Mine Train, Splosh! area with Splash Battle
2008 - Flip Flop, 4D Cinema
2009 - Mumbo Jumbo
2010 - Zoo improvements, including new penguin pool.
2011 - Zooooom!
2012 - Pterodactyl, Dino land
2013 - Hero, Twistosaurus

Most of the rides I've listed were either UK/World/Euro firsts. This is Flamingoland's strong point, there's a lot of variation and different rides types that only the hardcore enthusiats have tried. My only gripe is most rides are medicore. I don't go to FL to be thrilled, I go there for something different.

Flamingoland has taken many of my thrill ride virginities - first Vekoma Bike Coaster, steepest drop/first El Loco, Zampera Air Race, Go Gator, Mega Disk-O and the "classic" Schwarzkopfs. By the time I visit Flamingoland this year, I would have done my first Volare in Finland so I'm less excited about Hero than I usually would be (despite the warnings of vilness!). It'll be medicore anyway.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I kind of covered this in another topic where it was suggested that a park should buy an El Loco rather than say, a Megalite.

Flamingoland is a perfect example of what I was thinking about in my response. As enthusiasts, we'd flock to FL if it had a Megalite. We'd hail it as a coaster Mecca like Oakwood you pilgrimage to yearly - only maybe even more so due to the strong supporting rides.

Instead, FL invests regularly with "firsts" and it's quantity/PR over quality. The problem is that once you've been on the rides, why do you want to return? Well, to ride the new ride they put in next year. What happens when they stop investing? They're getting caught in a loop of add mediocre new attraction to attract guests, guests ride and think "meh" and then the park has to invest the same the next year.

That sounds harsher than it is in reality to be fair. People who are "local" are fine. If I lived an hour or so from FL, I'd visit the park regularly. The constant bland additions attract a wider audience each year, but there will be a definite "core" that will always be return visitors.

I'm down on Thorpe Park too, but I'm never too fussed about the three hour drive there because I know that - mostly - their rides are of high quality and have a good reride factor. If I had the cash, I'd happily make regular trips to Thorpe to meet up with people.

FL is also about three hours away and has more rides and a (if I remember correctly) very good zoo too. I have no desire to return - even for the new coasters. I just find the place so boring that I've no desire to make the effort to go. Okay, I've only been three times, but twice I had a really dull "ride day" (once with CF and the CF bit was the highlight - the other time with two non-enthusiast friends who both wanted to leave after three hours as they were bored, so was I). The other time I spent with a two year old Maxi-Minor_Furie and had a brilliant day in the sun, watching him play in the new water area and going on the cable cars and train. Two year olds are easy to please, and them being pleased makes me happy. It could have been a play barn though :lol:

So yeah, I just don't get on with the place because there's nothing there that appeals. The rides are all "okay I guess" (though I like Flip Flop a lot) and the zoo was great - but I don't like the park as a place to "hang about".

If there was a single stand out ride (I'm thinking Holiday Park here really) then you'd say "The park is meh, but it's worth it for that one ride". It elevates the rest of the park because there's something there which is excellent. Oakwood is similar, Megafobia really is the only highlight for me, but I still really enjoy the park - that one "wow" ride makes the whole place enjoyable to visit (though the large grassy areas and quirky little oddities help).

So yeah, I think they do a great job in constantly adding new attractions and I'm glad that one park in the country is making such a constant effort to invest. It just seems short sighted to me to fill your park with stuff that nobody will care about in ten years time. It's pretty much the same kind of investment pattern we saw at parks (like Alton) during the 80's with Pinfari and Schwartzkopf stuff dumped in to increase ride numbers, but no real thought for the long term.

Obviously, this is just my opinion and it may change after my visit later this year :)

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Flamingo Land | "Hero" | Zamperla Volare

I agree with Ian.

Also, compared to its "competition" across the UK, Flamingo is really rather good.

I like to compare it to Chessington, because FlamingoLand is doing or right, without the merlin power behind it.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Re: Flamingo Land |

Joey said:
I agree with Ian.

Also, compared to its "competition" across the UK, Flamingo is really rather good.

But it's so BORING. Once you've been, you don't need (or want) to return. I agree with Ian it's good to have the investment, I just don't think it's a sustainable or future proofed expansion.

Joey said:
I like to compare it to Chessington, because FlamingoLand is doing or right, without the merlin power behind it.

Before anyone jumps in and starts on about how the two are very different parks (one a "theme park" for families, the other more a "thrill park" - I know what you're saying. However, it does kind of prove a point.

CWoA make very low investments. Very little has changed (certainly for the better :lol: ) over the last ten years? Fifteen? Yet attendance increases each year. FL adds in new attractions and invests heavily each year and... I don't know attendance figures, but I think we can assume they're also increasing steadily.

Location has a lot to do with it, but there has to be a reason people keep on flocking to Chessington. It's the "quality" of the initial Tussauds investment. It's all rotting now, or being removed - but their installations of rides and the design of the park keeps people coming back. They enjoy the park, even though it's substandard now to how it was twenty years ago.

Imagine if FL didn't invest now for ten years. Would you still be saying Flaminglond is "really rather good"? I find it doubtful - your view would be similar to when we first visited as a group and it was a case of "The Bullet and Magnum Force as pretty good, but the park is a bit of a tatty, badly maintained fair ground".

Chessington manages to still be "really rather good" (except to Gavin :p ) after ten years of degradation. Just imagine what it would be like if Merlin invested as much and as often as Flamingoland do?

So I agree that the investment is a good thing, but I don't think it's a good long term plan - especially for a park which is quite a considerable distance from a major catchment.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
The thing with Flamingoland is this - they seem to be learning. This year, it would appear they are spending more on themeing than actual rides, which is what (ironically given what is happening this year) gives CWoA it's enduring appeal. I remember in the mid nineties just how bad FL was - it was as if it was sponsored by Blue Circle, the amount of concrete it had on show. While the rides like the Bullet were undoubtedly good, you kinda felt you had to leave your soul in a chest at the entrance before going in.

It also is more bothered about the Family thrill pound than the teen/young adult pennies that appear to be failing Thorpe at the moment, and while you will rarely have an astonishing day there, equally, you are quite unlikely to have a poor one there.

I often wonder what it would be like under Merlin stewardship - would they get rid of the silly name, and rechristen it something like Kirby Misperton Hall, which people forget is on the grounds, tucked away like a dirty little secret. Merlin would certainly merchandise better, are likely to chuck in a rapids and some manor of runaway mine train, and initially it would seem better. but eventually, the Merlin malaise would kick in, tickets will go up to £49 quid (albeit peppered with BOGOFs), and the place would become run down again.

Next year I firmly believe that a big IP will be installed on the old Corkscrew site, probably based on the Mr Men or Nintendo or something, and the park will move on again.

It will always be a poor man's Chessie. But I will be willing to bet it outlasts many more prominent parks.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
slappy mcguire said:
Kirby Misperton Hall, which people forget is on the grounds, tucked away like a dirty little secret.

It would actually make a great setting for some kind of horror walkthrough. Oh yeah...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ha! Yeah. You're probably the reason I **** hate them Gavin. That was my first one. You took my horror walk through virginity.

Pierre

Strata Poster
[tweet]https://twitter.com/flamingolanduk/status/339131654440382464[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/flamingolanduk/status/341142467606880256[/tweet]