What's new

Favourite chocolate bar?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys, and Happy Halloween! I’ll admit I’ve never been much of a fan of the scare side of Halloween ever since I was a little boy, and I was never even that fussed on trick-or-treating, so the main thing I liked about Halloween was the chocolate. By the end of an evening trick-or-treating, I’d usually amassed a fair pile of chocolate, and that was usually the highlight of Halloween for me! So today, I thought it would be topical to make a poll asking; what’s your favourite chocolate bar?

Personally, I’ll admit it’s quite hard for me to decide; I love chocolate and have quite a sweet tooth, so I have a few that could qualify as favourites!

In terms of a general group, though; the bulk of my favourite chocolates have caramel within them. I’ll admit caramel is something I personally absolutely love, and if presented with a box of chocolates and asked to pick a couple, the caramel flavours are the first ones I pick! With that in mind, some of my favourites include the traditional Cadbury Caramel, Galaxy Caramel (the Salted Caramel flavour in particular is gorgeous!) and Cadbury Boost, and I’ll admit that Mars bars have been growing on me lately too!

There are some chocolates without caramel that I’m a fan of, though; for instance, I do love a bar of Cadbury Dairy Milk, as well as a bar of plain Galaxy, and Yorkies are another I personally really like. Not to mention, a bag or bar (I’m not sure which form they sell them in now) of Hershey’s Cookies’n’Creme was always a great souvenir to bring home from a trip to Florida!

But to be honest, there’s a lot of chocolate I like!

But what is your favourite chocolate bar?

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
^That’s a lot of British candy that I’ve never heard of! I did look some of them up and they look pretty good.

As for my favorites, it’s Twix and Kit Kats for me. In terms of non chocolate candy, I enjoy Peach Rings, Swedish Fish, and Hot Tamales.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I go through phases. In my 47 years I think most chocolate bars on sale in the UK have occupied my top spot. Currently I appear to be unusually fixated on Bounty's, but by next month I might have moved on to Toblerone's or sumat.
There are a few exceptions - I've never really been into Kit Kats, and I've always thought M&M's were a bit naff. Who needs M&M's when you've got Minstrels and Smarties on offer?
Long standing favourites that never get boring include Mars bars (bring back the King Size I say), Walnut Whips (as long as it has a walnut), Creme Eggs, Maltezers and whenever I'm somewhere that sells 'American Caaandy' (which seems to be most places these days) I try and grab a Butterfinger. They're crispety, crunchety, peanut buttery, don't ya know.

Matt N

CF Legend
I go through phases. In my 47 years I think most chocolate bars on sale in the UK have occupied my top spot. Currently I appear to be unusually fixated on Bounty's, but by next month I might have moved on to Toblerone's or sumat.
There are a few exceptions - I've never really been into Kit Kats, and I've always thought M&M's were a bit naff. Who needs M&M's when you've got Minstrels and Smarties on offer?
Long standing favourites that never get boring include Mars bars (bring back the King Size I say), Walnut Whips (as long as it has a walnut), Creme Eggs, Maltezers and whenever I'm somewhere that sells 'American Caaandy' (which seems to be most places these days) I try and grab a Butterfinger. They're crispety, crunchety, peanut buttery, don't ya know.
Ooh, I forgot about Creme Eggs and Maltesers; both of those would rank pretty highly for me too! I especially like the Malteser bars; I don’t know why, but as much as I like regular Maltesers, I do find the bars rather satisfying!

Another two I forgot; both Wispa and Wispa Gold are great, in my opinion, especially Wispa Gold because of that added touch of caramel!

In terms of M&M’s; I personally think I like them a little more than Smarties myself (controversial opinion, perhaps?), as I like how melt-in-the-mouth they are. I particularly love the Caramel-flavoured ones; I think they do sell them in Britain now, but my first taste of those was on our last Florida holiday, and I think they’re gorgeous! I’ll admit I’m not especially fussed on the peanut and crunchy M&M’s (never been a nut fan myself, and for some reason, the crunchy ones didn’t quite do it for me), but I think original M&M’s and caramel M&M’s are both pretty great, personally!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Some of my controversial takes on chocolate:

1 - M and Ms are better than Smarties
2 - Galaxy is better than dairy milk (although I do prefer cadburys caramel to galaxy caramel)
3 - Aero's are better than wispas
4 - Twix are one of the few chocolates which are improved loads by chilling

Non controversial takes:

1 - Caramel improves everything!
2 - Boosts are awesome
3 - Lidl and ALdi brands are great!
4 - Toblerone is the daddy of chocolate bars!

Dar

Hyper Poster
My favourite chocolate bar is a Spira, but they don't exist anymore so I've had to settle for Wispa Golds instead!

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Galaxy is better than dairy milk
Here's a really boring fact. Dairy Milk has cocoa which has been ground to a particle size of 30 microns, whereas Galaxy grinds cocoa to 23 microns. The latter particle size means the chocolate melts faster and has a smoother mouthfeel. This is apparently particularly popular with females, hence all the advertising for Galaxy being directed at women.

Will

Strata Poster
I wouldn't say they're a #1 favourite (I'd have to think for a while over what that would be) but I'm a big fan of the new Caramilk.

And now I want one...

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’ve only just noticed Yorkie bars are smaller!!! It’s an outrage!!! No longer 6 chunks with a huge individual letter (Y.O.R.K.I.E) on each chunk!!! Now just 5 chunks with the whole word in small font on each!!!

I’m quite partial to a Lion bar, KitKat or Twix :)

The Dairy Milk Oreo / Galaxy Cookie Crumble blends are great too…

I think I have a thing for biscuits with my chocolate.

Dar

Hyper Poster
I’ve only just noticed Yorkie bars are smaller!!! It’s an outrage!!! No longer 6 chunks with a huge individual letter (Y.O.R.K.I.E) on each chunk!!! Now just 5 chunks with the whole word in small font on each!!!

I’m quite partial to a Lion bar, KitKat or Twix :)

The Dairy Milk Oreo / Galaxy Cookie Crumble blends are great too…

I think I have a thing for biscuits with my chocolate.

If you like a lot of chocolate on your biscuit...

Eyebrows

Hyper Poster
I found some Reese's Peanut Butter Cups at the back of my cupboard yesterday.

...I'm about to go out and buy about 50 more :D
I’ve heard Reese’s are good! What do you like about them, for someone who’s never had them (allergy reasons)?

FarleyFlavors

Mega Poster
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are a strange beast. I really like them despite not caring at all for Hershey process chocolate (to many non-Americans, it tastes like vomit).

It's only relatively recently they became available in the UK and they had to change the packaging from the US version. Hershey milk chocolate is so awful it can't legally be called "milk chocolate" in the UK or the EU (we get "milk chocolate flavour coating" on the wrappers instead).