What's new

Does the “comedy roast” have a future?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. One of the biggest news stories of the past few days has stemmed from the Oscars on Sunday, where Will Smith had an altercation with Chris Rock on live TV.

For those of you that haven’t heard, Rock made a joke about Smith’s wife’s alopecia while on stage presenting an award, which resulted in Smith going up onto the stage and punching Rock before shouting at him “You keep my wife’s name out of your [fudge]ing mouth”. ([fudge] is paraphrasing a far worse word)

While this story has sent shockwaves through news and media circles, I noticed this particularly interesting opinion piece in iNews where the writer stated that the altercation between Smith and Rock should mark the end of the “comedy roast”: https://inews.co.uk/opinion/will-smiths-oscars-slap-signal-end-of-comedy-roast-1544203

So my question to you today is; do you think the “comedy roast” has a future? Do you think it should have a future?

Personally, I’ll admit that I’m not entirely sure it does. Rightly or wrongly, the world is more sensitive than ever with regard to these types of things, and I think there is a very fine line between “banter” and bullying that comedians are having an increasingly tough job toeing. Many “comedy roasts” go so far that they are being deemed downright offensive to either a person or an entire group of people, and I know that Rock is far from the only comedian who has experienced repercussions to more hard-hitting personal roasts they’ve made.

Personally, I’ve always found that type of humour isn’t a type I personally find funny. I apologise if this makes me sound overly sensitive, but it always makes me feel more uncomfortable than amused. That might be because I’m what most would consider very weird and have had insults directed my way under the guise of comedy in the past (and plain, undisguised insults as well), but I’ll admit that I would take that type of thing to heart if I was in Smith’s wife’s position, even though I know Rock likely didn’t intend to be truly offensive. I’ll admit, however, that I appear to be in a minority there; most I know seem to find insult comedy hilarious.

But what do you think? Do you think insult comedy has a future, or deserves to?

James F

Hyper Poster
I don't think it's dead, but we are no longer in the years where acts like "Don Rickles" or even "Frankie Boyle" are considered acceptable, which is a great shame because they are some of my favourite comedians. A good comedian understands that framework is needed to to tell a good joke, most "offensive" jokes by well known comedians are actually used as a satirical statement or in an ironic way to point out the ignorance of people.

You could say that it's "not for everyone" but comedy as a whole is subjective. I'd take an hour of insults over a minute of James Corden.

I do hate the word "Banter", now there is an excuse people often use as an attempt to justify bullying, this is being insulted without any means of comedic framework, there is no satire, no irony and worst of all no punchline. I've had job interviews where they say "you need a sense of humour here as there plenty of banter" and that to me is a red flag that everyone there is going to treat me like ****

As for what happened at the Oscars, Will Smith had absolutely no right to assault Chris Rock, whether the comic was aware of Jada's alopecia or not (I doubt it), it doesn't justify what Will did and the fact that the whole audience stood up and applauded a man who just committed assault in front of them only goes to show how detached Hollywood is.

Although to be fair the incident did make the show more entertaining. 🤔

Last edited:

VonRolland

Hyper Poster
With a somewhat dark sense of Humour I believe in context these should continue for instance don't be an idiot, if you will make bald jokes infront of someone who is unnaturally so you will get the sh*t slapped out you. For comedy gigs & show's I see no issue in continuing as at the end of the day it usually creates more people talking or discussing about something bad that would otherwise go silenced. Right place right context is required tho

Christian

Hyper Poster
I'm never a fan of jokes that target someone else than the person saying it. Joking about someone else's disease is rightfully disgusting. Myself having a super small disability (strabismus) has always made me very triggered of anyone joking about someone's disability. It is bullying. I can joke of my own strabismus but I don't accept others to do it. If Jada was my wife, I would rightfully been pissed and probably acted the same way as Will Smith did. In my opinion he could have been smoother but I rightfully understand his actions.

I am half Romanian. We don't necessarily have the best reputation as a people, I would constantly joke about that but I would never allow a non Romanian to say anything bad about us.

Bullying should not be disguised as comedy. Whenever someone has insulted me directly or disguised as "joke" I have always hit back. That's the only way for some to learn that what they are doing is not ok. I wasn't the kid at school that would beat everyone up but nobody ever messed with me which was a relief.

Matt, don't call yourself weird. You certainly aren't.

Last edited:

Will

Strata Poster
I wouldn't watch one (or the Oscars) and Will Smith can **** off.

Provided people stop being so bloody sensitive AND that a 'roast' is advertised as such and doesn't claim to be anything else, I don't see why not.
I don't understand how people can get through life without the ability to laugh at themselves, but I admit that while I can take a joke, I have a fair few no-go areas.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I’m a bit unsure about all of this. I think comedy in general dies when you start drawing lines. I like people like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr, and find their comedy acceptable, because their ‘offensive’ humour doesn’t target people personally.

Chris Rock broke that golden rule, assumed that everyone was ‘game’ and targeted someone with a personal attack.

However, I also enjoy a traditional roast, where everybody being roasted knows what they’re letting themselves in for, and are ‘up for it.’

Sadly, on this occasion, I think it was wrong of CR to assume that this was the case. It was the Oscars, Will smith was there to collect an Oscar, not to get, or see his wife get, roasted.

That being said, his response was pathetic and childish. See him after the show for ‘a little word.’ Don’t interupt a show being viewed by millions, including kids, with violence. Also, he hits like a b**ch, CR is tiny, almost 60, and it barely even touched him.

Rock_N_RollBob

Roller Poster
For me personally, life got alot better after being comfortable in uncomfortable situations. Embracing it. Sadly, this is a skill that has gone by the wayside in favor of participation trophies and hovering parents. Throw in a "whine" society and we get the results of a generation(s) of weak - minded populace. All of it is really a sideshow to keep us divided anyway, so it doesn't matter.

The best comedy has a kernel of truth and twisted perspective. As far as if it's right or wrong doesn't matter, either...What matters is the erosion of independent thinking, and freedoms. On a lighter note, planning an extensive return to Orlando to get my ride on first few weeks in September. Got to get my new coaster ride on. Everyone have a great day!

Sandman

Giga Poster
I like people like Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr, and find their comedy acceptable, because their ‘offensive’ humour doesn’t target people personally.

I think you may have missed a lot of Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr material 😂

They’ve definitely targeted a lot of people. But I’m not complaining, it’s always been funny material.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think you may have missed a lot of Frankie Boyle and Jimmy Carr material 😂

They’ve definitely targeted a lot of people. But I’m not complaining, it’s always been funny material.
Probably, I don’t ‘watch’ comedians, I only listen to their shows in the car on Spotify… Heard all of their material available on Spotify, and you’re right… They do whole sections where they pick on the audience, so I’m talking out my a55 🙈😂

In fairness though, those people knew that before they bought tickets…

Sandman

Giga Poster
Probably, I don’t ‘watch’ comedians, I only listen to their shows in the car on Spotify… Heard all of their material available on Spotify, and you’re right… They do whole sections where they pick on the audience, so I’m talking out my a55 🙈😂

In fairness though, those people knew that before they bought tickets…

I recall some pretty dark Frankie Boyle material on Harvey Price, Katie Price, Rebecca Adlington, Wayne Rooney. Basically everyone.
He's tamed it down a bit in recent years though. Think he knows most of his old material can no longer air on TV 😂

Will

Strata Poster
^Don't forget Kerry Katona ;)
Also took me a while to work out why Nick was talking to a Welsh dual carriageway :D

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
I generally like Chris Rock but I thought his joke was a bit crap - too much emphasis on Mrs. Smith being the butt of the joke, without the joke being clever / funny enough to warrant it. It therefore falls flat for me. I typically don’t value humour that is more made up of ‘targeted offence’ than anything else. This is in part because being offensive is so goddamn easy.

However, I do understand the power and value in being shocking as it can add a layer of surprise/absurdity (something ‘outside of the norm’). My own sense of humour and choice of language is often obscene/crude, but this tends to be an accompaniment as the driving force of the humour tends to be based around silliness and bizarre imagery.

I’m also quite sympathetic to Will Smith. Perhaps Chris Rock wasn’t aware of her condition, but I can imagine that it’s something that could be deeply personal and upsetting to the Smiths. To my mind, it’s not too difficult to imagine a scenario whereby Mr. Smith has spent a lot of energy (over years) trying to make his wife feel comfortable with her condition, then this happens ahead of potentially his proudest moment as a cheap joke for the whole world to laugh at. The violence was ugly but I think a forceful slap is within the realms of an expected negative response to a ****ty cheap joke about his wife’s condition - who knows, he could have just saved his marriage 🤷‍♂️

(I’m not looking for a debate, but I’ll pre-empt any ‘argumentum ad absurdum’ by acknowledging that if he spread his brains across the stage then yes that obviously would have been too far.)

‘Offensive humour’ is like playing with fire. Either don’t play, or accept that you may get burned if: (1) you’re rubbish, (2) you get reckless, or (3) you just get very unlucky and the wind suddenly blows the wrong way 🔥

Last edited:

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I recall some pretty dark Frankie Boyle material on Harvey Price, Katie Price, Rebecca Adlington, Wayne Rooney. Basically everyone.
He's tamed it down a bit in recent years though. Think he knows most of his old material can no longer air on TV 😂
Yep you’re right, the whole ‘only reason she’s dating a body guard’ gag. Have to admit, had me in stitches too 🙈🤷🏻‍♂️😂

Will

Strata Poster
Not a take on this topic, but remind me to listen to Harry Potter more often :p

FPNfiUQUcAAp6N6