What's new

Do-Dodonpa closed

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Flucht von Novgorod will be happy, now the king of Accelerations
Fairly sure that's incorrect. The claims Flucht von Novgorod have the 2nd fastest launch come from it's stat 0 to 62 in 1.4 seconds but that's incorrect since it's a rolling launch and is more like 15 to 62 in 1.4 seconds. (Which puts it a fair way down the list.)

New record is probably Maxx Force but not 100 percent sure.

Maxx Force is 0 - 78 in 1.8
Stealth is 0 - 80 in 1.9

Just goes to show how insane dodonpa was at 0 - 111.8 in 1.56

I've not seen acceleration stats for the first 4 S&S air launches in China but they are all faster than Maxx Force and could well hold the record now.

Last edited:

Coasterfreck

Mega Poster

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
I think Thorpe Park would like a word, Stealth has 0-80 in 1.8 seconds, whereas Maxx Force is 0-78 in 1.8 seconds… So Stealth is now the record holder 👀, until one of the S&S coasters claims it.
View attachment 30269View attachment 30268

It is a shame to see Do-Dodonpa close though.

Weirdly its listed as 1.9 in some places and 1.8 in others (Hell the Wiki page lists both)

It obviously opened at 2.5 seconds originally but was modified a little later.

As far as i can tell even Thorpe referenced 1.9 seconds at some point but now lists 1.8 seconds.
All a little odd. And very like this comminity to be worried over a thenth of a second :)

Basically a strong gust of wind in the right direction probably gives either one the record at any given time.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
RIP.

2727209151_f4150592a9_b.jpg

(OK, just an excuse to repost one of my early "good" processed pics - from 2008 ;) )

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'll also pay tribute with some much lower quality pics from my three (humble brag) visits, showing the evolution of Dodonpa and the quality of the camera, though not my skills in using it.

cQjkdSth.jpg

yJuiQWBh.jpg

fhpe70Zh.jpg

And have some more for good measure:

lWahmiKh.jpg

GHTv0JUh.jpg

zMDJSogh.jpg

D8HTXhGh.jpg

RfpiNsrh.jpg

kEHQbhIh.jpg

JIfgrYTh.jpg

qY7E3eAh.jpg

dR4YOY0h.jpg

n6XAPnoh.jpg

PJSA7Gsh.jpg

I doubt we'll ever see anything like it again, and it's a shame, though not a surprise, that it's going. To be honest though, when they replaced the top hat, it was already a massively downgraded experience which was just no fun after the first 2 seconds. Have the idiots on social media started with the "They shud moov it 2 Thorp" posts yet?

Jamesss

Hyper Poster
I'm gutted about this closure. Was meant to ride it in 2020 but the trip got cancelled due to covid.

Such a shame there's nothing else like it the world.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Weirdly its listed as 1.9 in some places and 1.8 in others (Hell the Wiki page lists both)

It obviously opened at 2.5 seconds originally but was modified a little later.

As far as i can tell even Thorpe referenced 1.9 seconds at some point but now lists 1.8 seconds.

Just to add in here...

I don't think Thorpe ever 'modified' Stealth to increase its acceleration.

The story which I've been reliably told is the acceleration was always the same, but they realised quite close to opening that it wasn't doing 0-80mph in 2.3sec, but rather 1.8-1.9sec. The park had already changed the advertised acceleration (it was originally stated to be 0-80mph in 2.5sec), and at the point they realised, marketing, signage, etc was already in the swing of things.

For 2007, the park then went for the fact they "upgraded" Stealth. The park had a history of '1-2 punches', and this was their way of doing this for Stealth. Open it Year 1, draw people back Year 2.

Obviously the story that the park upgraded it sounds better, and this is all very inconsequential in the "what has the strongest acceleration now" debate.

Thorpe have recently claimed Stealth has the strongest now. I still think that one of the Chinese air launches probably has the record now, but without official stats, I guess we're stuck with two parks laying claim to it for now.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Thorpe have recently claimed Stealth has the strongest now. I still think that one of the Chinese air launches probably has the record now, but without official stats, I guess we're stuck with two parks laying claim to it for now.
*Waits for BPB to enter the chat*

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Something I was thinking about earlier. (And yes it's a stupid thing only us nerds will care about)

Dodonpa was the fastest looping coaster in the planet by a country mile. What has taken the record now?

From my quick calculations the current record list is

Beyond The Cloud - 80.5mph
Hyperia (not open yet) - 80mph
Steel Curtain - 75mph
Flash and Hyper Coaster - 71.5mph

I may have missed some though. Anyone think of anymore?

Peet

Giga Poster
Something I was thinking about earlier. (And yes it's a stupid thing only us nerds will care about)

Dodonpa was the fastest looping coaster in the planet by a country mile. What has taken the record now?

Steel Curtain - 75mph

Hyperion 88.2 mph

Nitefly

Hyper Poster

Steel Curtain - 75mph

Hyperion - 88.2 mph.

… if that counts for ‘looping’ (but I mention it as does Hyperia have a true loop?).

TPoseOnTantrum

Giga Poster
I still think that one of the Chinese air launches probably has the record now, but without official stats, I guess we're stuck with two parks laying claim to it for now.
For the record, the Six Flags post was from a career thoosie in the corporate marketing department who saw the opportunity and ran with it, just ahead of all the math and debate kicking off. Idk what the situation was on Thorpe’s end, but at the end of the day it really is just marketing teams saying whatever will bring their rides attention.

cookie

Giga Poster

Steel Curtain - 75mph

Multiple people mentioned Hyperion already but Furius Baco, Yukon Striker, and Launch Rollercoaster at Sun Tzu Cultural Park are all faster than Beyond the Cloud also.