What's new

CF Speed Build Competition | Round 3 | Type Vote (Please Vote)

Which type should we build?

• Wooden Coaster

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Maurer Spinning Coaster

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
round3.jpg

We're done with round 2 now, it's time for round 3...

It's time to vote for which type we'll be building in this round.

The Nominations Are:

Wooden Coaster
(Constraints: Max Height: 130ft, Traditional 'all wood' Coaster (No Hybrids) Zero Inversions, Min Speed: 40mph)
* Please note, the constraints on this one have changed based in feedback in an earlier discussion

Maurer Spinning Coaster (Constraints: Max Area: 30M x 40M, Min Cars: 4)

Gerst Infinity Coaster (Constraints: Propulsion: Lift Hill, Max Height: 175ft, Min Height: 120ft, Min Length: 4000ft, Compulsory Element/s: Interlocking corkscrews)

Please pick which you think we should build using the attached poll.

Notes:

ANY GAME CAN BE USED TO BUILD THE LAYOUT!!!

Voting ends midnight (GMT) Sunday evening (6th March.) Contestants will then have until midnight (GMT) on Sunday 20th March to build and submit their entry. You, the members, will be asked to vote on your favourites.

Each type has it's own set of constraints that must be abided by. If a constraint isn't mentioned for a particular type, then the contestant has creative freedom. For example, where no propulsion type is mentioned, a contestant may use a lift hill or a launch. Except in the case of material, where it is either defined by the type itself, or a constraint.

Contestants will be judged purely on the layout. light theming, / landscaping may be added, but we will ask you to ignore this when picking a winner.

Layouts will be judged on 3 categories:

Realism: How realistic is the layout?
Originality / Creativity: Does this layout contain unique elements, is it an original idea?
Overall: Which layout would you most like to ride overall?

There will be a winner each round for each of the above judging categories. But the league table will be placed based on the Overall category, with Realism and Creativity being used to separate ties.

League Table Points will be awarded for each round as follows. Overall winner: 5 pts, 2nd place: 4 pts, 3rd place: 3 pts, 4th place: 2 pts, 5th place: 1 pt.

League season will last for 6 rounds.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think we know where this is going.
Yep… And that’s without people being able to see the result until they’ve voted!!!

(Would it be ‘cheating’ to get started on my layout now? 🤔*)

*This is a joke, I have too much Elden Ring to play on a Steam Deck that should be here today or tomorrow!!!

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Sorry about the late confirmation, been a hectic weekend...

But yeh, it's the wooden coaster :)

Constraints
Max Height: 130ft
Traditional 'all wood' Coaster (No Hybrids)
Zero Inversions
Min Speed: 40mph

Get building, you have until midnight GMT on Sunday 20th :)

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Woo-oo! Been eagerly looking forward to this round since the competition started back in January. I have a few questions about the constraints though:

1. Minimum speed of 40mph only applies to the top speed of the layout, right? (That's what I had in mind when I suggested it, at least...)
2. Do you measure maximum height from the top of the coaster to ground level, or by the coaster's total elevation change? For example, is Ravine Flyer II 80 or 118 feet tall?

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Woo-oo! Been eagerly looking forward to this round since the competition started back in January. I have a few questions about the constraints though:

1. Minimum speed of 40mph only applies to the top speed of the layout, right? (That's what I had in mind when I suggested it, at least...)
2. Do you measure maximum height from the top of the coaster to ground level, or by the coaster's total elevation change? For example, is Ravine Flyer II 80 or 118 feet tall?
1) You are correct. :) must hit 40mph at 'some' point during the layout.

2) Maximum height of any part of the structure above the ground below that element... I have no problem with people using terrain in clever ways. I had considered using a quarry wall as a second drop immediately after the first myself in fact it was one of my earlier launch coaster ideas. That roll I did out of the station was originally off a quarry wall!!, but it just had way too much speed so I sacked it off.

This was the early beginnings of the first concept for the last round :) It had a spaghetti bowl of compact inversions in the pit, and a more drawn out air time focused layout when it went back up top. But it was just too fast, I couldn't stay within the constraints as well as keeping the G's within realistic limits (I know that's not essential, but I do try haha.)

wall.jpg