What's new

CF Speed Build Competition | Constraint Breach Penalty | PLEASE VOTE

How many, if any, points should we remove? (per constraint breached)

• 1 point

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • 2 points

• 3 points

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • 4 points

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 points

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • 10 points

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Hi folks, unfortunately there has been a couple of accidental breaches of the constraints set out. I have to shoulder some blame here, as despite posting them in the vote thread, I never reposted the constraints in the entry thread for extra clarity. With that in mind, and the accidental, and honest, nature of the breaches, as well as the hard work put into those layouts, I don't think excluding those entries is a fair penalty.

For that reason I am suggesting a points deduction. (I am a Derby fan afterall!) A set number of points taken from the offender's voting score (Not their league points.)

But how many, that's up to the vote...

This penalty will be the same penalty that we automatically apply in future rounds.

Please vote... (vote will run for 2 days, no changing votes, options voted for will be private.)

(Please note, this penalty will be 'per constraint breached.' So, for example, if somebody busts the height ceiling, and maximum length, they'll get 2 x the penalty.)

I think everyone should just stick to the rules, if they're made perfectly clear at the start it shouldn't be an issue. I doubt anyone would do it deliberately, but if they did do it deliberately then it should have a pretty harsh penalty, as that's really not in the spirit of competition. In this round I'd leave it up to the voters left if they wanted to award points or not, subtract a place or whatever, and maybe allow those that have voted already to change their ordering of they didn't realise there had been a beach of the rules.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I think everyone should just stick to the rules, if they're made perfectly clear at the start it shouldn't be an issue. I doubt anyone would do it deliberately, but if they did do it deliberately then it should have a pretty harsh penalty, as that's really not in the spirit of competition. In this round I'd leave it up to the voters left if they wanted to award points or not, subtract a place or whatever, and maybe allow those that have voted already to change their ordering of they didn't realise there had been a beach of the rules.
I think everybody tries to stick to the rules.. But mistakes can (and obviously do) happen.

The fact that we’re unlikely to pick up on these mistakes until the submissions stage has ended, or is close to ending, means that there’s very little chance for genuine mistakes to be corrected.

Excluding those entries, or completely discounting them when it comes to voting, means that they’ve just wasted 2 weeks. Call me too soft or whatever, but this is all a bit of fun, and I wouldn’t like to think somebody’s hard work was for nothing because of a silly miss read.

By all means, it’s up to each individual how they vote, and whether they mark somebody down, or exclude them for whatever reason. But I personally would rather (as a voter) not have to consider that, and instead let the competition structure take care of anything like that.

However, on the other hand it can’t go unchecked. Hence a structured penalty being needed.

tl;dr If you want to exclude their entries from your voting, that’s your prerogative, and completely understandable given the effort you put in to your great layout. But for consistency and fairness we still need a structured penalty. :)

Leon_K

Mega Poster
I am not going to vote because I am one of few who accidentally missed a constraint and I didn't really have the time to fix this. But all creators are taking time to put effort in their creations for a competition that started purely for fun. Therefor I think it's a heavy penalty to directly exclude those from the contest. A small penalty is fair though. Mistakes can happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.