What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

Spoon

Roller Poster
Oh right, the reason I said I didn’t have a source was because it isn’t an accurate source

I'm sorry but the person who made that tweet is very misinformed/just plain wrong. Liens don't just disappear, and nearly all the liens are still active. Once a lien gets paid off, a "Satisfaction" document gets filed. So far, SeaWorld has paid off four of their liens, three of which were to Orange County Utilities for unpaid water/sewer service for each of their parks (SeaWorld, Aquatica, Discovery Cove). The only other lien that's been paid off so far is to Hubbard Construction Company for some of the paving work done for Ice Breaker.

uhZemGs.png

SKKWBgA.png

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
I'm sorry but the person who made that tweet is very misinformed/just plain wrong. Liens don't just disappear, and nearly all the liens are still active. Once a lien gets paid off, a "Satisfaction" document gets filed. So far, SeaWorld has paid off four of their liens, three of which were to Orange County Utilities for unpaid water/sewer service for each of their parks (SeaWorld, Aquatica, Discovery Cove). The only other lien that's been paid off so far is to Hubbard Construction Company for some of the paving work done for Ice Breaker.

uhZemGs.png

SKKWBgA.png
How come work resumed on Iron Gwazi then?

Last edited:

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster

uhZemGs.png

SKKWBgA.png
Actually it might’ve meant that a deal has been made for everything except for the water slides. For example, they have started construction again on Iron Gwazi yesterday but haven’t payed everything off, otherwise would have a Satisfaction document, btw where do you find all these liens and Satisfaction documents?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I don't know the legalities of it, but for the kind of sums RMC were owed from the previous documents we saw, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have agreed a new payment plan with SW (and have maybe received the first installment). This would mean RMC could send their crew back in, but the lien still remains 'live'.

In other words, if the Satisfaction document can only be issued once the full/final payment is received, that may be a while off.

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
I don't know the legalities of it, but for the kind of sums RMC were owed from the previous documents we saw, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have agreed a new payment plan with SW (and have maybe received the first installment). This would mean RMC could send their crew back in, but the lien still remains 'live'.

In other words, if the Satisfaction document can only be issued once the full/final payment is received, that may be a while off.
Are Busch Gardens only allowed to open IG if they pay everything they owe rmc?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Are Busch Gardens only allowed to open IG if they pay everything they owe rmc?
Depends on the way the contracts are written.

Let's say SW owe RMC $12m, which they have agreed (in the early contract terms) to pay over twelve installments*, $1m/month for a year. Come month 9, SW stop paying. RMC then issue the lien formally recognising that they're still owed $3m, and that until they're paid in full* they won't sign over the coaster to SW (and therefore the park are not allowed to open the coaster - actually nothing to do with the fact it's a coaster, it's a contractor/client liability issue on a construction project). Now, let's suppose RMC and SW have entered into a new contract* (or sub-clause/amendment/whatever-the-word-is) to pay off the remaining balance ($3m) over the next two months (now $1.5m/month) - happy days. RMC have a new contract*, which they can subsequently hold SW accountable to.

There will also be lots of additions to the $12m during the course of the project - so usually the final payment(s) are agreed* towards the end of the project when the final account sum (and settlement of it) is better known. This can, and often does, run past the completion date of the project*. There is risk for RMC (and SW), but it is well understood these days and there are strong legal frameworks in place to protect RMC and SW.

RMC signing the coaster over to SW is not the end of their involvement in the process, it just means SW can legally operate the coaster. RMC will be under contract for further commissioning*, a defects liability period* and warranties* (although this doesn't include the future maintenance side of things, which is generally separate). The point being, that RMC still have 'work to do' on the coaster, even when it's handed over, so the payments don't necessarily have to be complete before the coaster opens, as there is motivation for SW to keep RMC 'coming back'.

*Everywhere I've put a star is where a different contract, specific to this coaster/park/locality/nation/framework, could be at play. There's a reason why project management firms make big bucks on negotiating this landscape.

The lien, however, is simple - it can only be cleared (Satisfied) once the $3m outstanding at the time issue of the lien is paid. Liens are nothing more than record keeping.

Numbers are all made up, and I'm no expert, but this is generally the way these things work out.

Man, that was a bit of a word-flood. Dunno if it makes any sense!

Markus.Downhill

Mega Poster
O
Depends on the way the contracts are written.

Let's say SW owe RMC $12m, which they have agreed (in the early contract terms) to pay over twelve installments*, $1m/month for a year. Come month 9, SW stop paying. RMC then issue the lien formally recognising that they're still owed $3m, and that until they're paid in full* they won't sign over the coaster to SW (and therefore the park are not allowed to open the coaster - actually nothing to do with the fact it's a coaster, it's a contractor/client liability issue on a construction project). Now, let's suppose RMC and SW have entered into a new contract* (or sub-clause/amendment/whatever-the-word-is) to pay off the remaining balance ($3m) over the next two months (now $1.5m/month) - happy days. RMC have a new contract*, which they can subsequently hold SW accountable to.

There will also be lots of additions to the $12m during the course of the project - so usually the final payment(s) are agreed* towards the end of the project when the final account sum (and settlement of it) is better known. This can, and often does, run past the completion date of the project*. There is risk for RMC (and SW), but it is well understood these days and there are strong legal frameworks in place to protect RMC and SW.

RMC signing the coaster over to SW is not the end of their involvement in the process, it just means SW can legally operate the coaster. RMC will be under contract for further commissioning*, a defects liability period* and warranties* (although this doesn't include the future maintenance side of things, which is generally separate). The point being, that RMC still have 'work to do' on the coaster, even when it's handed over, so the payments don't necessarily have to be complete before the coaster opens, as there is motivation for SW to keep RMC 'coming back'.

*Everywhere I've put a star is where a different contract, specific to this coaster/park/locality/nation/framework, could be at play. There's a reason why project management firms make big bucks on negotiating this landscape.

The lien, however, is simple - it can only be cleared (Satisfied) once the $3m outstanding at the time issue of the lien is paid. Liens are nothing more than record keeping.

Numbers are all made up, and I'm no expert, but this is generally the way these things work out.

Man, that was a bit of a word-flood. Dunno if it makes any sense!
Oh ok, so you know if they’ve made a deal with premier and b&m over ice breaker and the penguin coaster?

Spoon

Roller Poster
How come work resumed on Iron Gwazi then?

Like others have said, they're likely working with the companies to pay off the liens. Just because there's a lien doesn't mean everything is frozen and can't move forward. It's been said from the beginning, but liens are a very common thing in the construction industry.

Bert2theSpark

Mega Poster
image0.png

New patent filed by B&M, looks like the Surf Coaster may be a refined version of the Stand Up coaster with the modern vest restraints found on the wing coasters, newer dives and Banshee. Also worth noting that the seat adjustment is not longer mechanical (like the ratchet Shockwave at Drayton Manor, I don't know what the old gen B&Ms used), instead it uses hydraulic/pneumatic, which should allow a more smooth and quiet loading period.

Surely this isn't just a remodelled stand up coaster? Maybe it features a launch, which would be interesting and technically give an experience like "surfing".

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
image0.png

New patent filed by B&M, looks like the Surf Coaster may be a refined version of the Stand Up coaster with the modern vest restraints found on the wing coasters, newer dives and Banshee. Also worth noting that the seat adjustment is not longer mechanical (like the ratchet Shockwave at Drayton Manor, I don't know what the old gen B&Ms used), instead it uses hydraulic/pneumatic, which should allow more a smoother and quieter loading period.

Surely this isn't just a remodelled stand up coaster? Maybe it features a launch, which would be interesting and technically give an experience like "surfing".
Source please.

Matt N

CF Legend
Interesting! Could this rectify the comfort issues that many have with the existing stand up coasters?

Dar

Hyper Poster
If I'm reading the google translated application right then this application is for a stand-up restraint that allows riders to crouch and stand back up during the ride!

It cites a Vekoma patent for a similar restraint that allowed riders to move up and down, left and right, and forward and back, but claims that required a very complicated articulation system and could lead to problems with some riders. Whereas B&M's is much simpler and allows vertical movement only.

XX7pGTF.jpg

The example image in the patent

Here's the link to the register: https://register.epo.org/application?tab=doclist&number=EP19164728&lng=en
Bear in mind nearly everything is in French, and the PDFs aren't OCR'ed so you'd you'd need to be pretty desperate and nerdy to spend your Friday evening downloading and OCR'ing and translating it. :p

Last edited: