What's new

Are the GP getting worse with "Unsafe ride" dramas

Foxstar1387

Roller Poster
Given the recent high winds stoppages of Big One. More and more people are screaming in that arms flailing dramatic GP way. That its NOT SAFE & MUST BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!.

Some even using its re tracking as ammo that its not safe. To the point they are calling on their MP to get the park "investigated".

Some bringing up the Smiler incident and trying to push that in as more evidence that all parks must be shut down or forced into some form of "safe zone"

Even when you put up the ADIPS stuff the laws and regulations and many other things. They just carry on being a drama llama and calling the shots like they know every tiny detail of the industry the systems and the ops guides.

As far as im aware your way safer in a park than driving your car or walking on the street. But hey ho its the dramatic GP flails I guess

( I did go 20 pages deep to see if there was any topics as such and couldn't find one. Sorry if its a duplicate from years back)

It's all done for attention, I've lost count how many videos on youpube show up in recommended that say something along the lines of "This ride was torn down after this..." with a rediculously photoshopped image.
The mainstream news is no different, ride incidents are so rare it is big news for a long time. When was the last time a fatal road accident that wasn't a major pileup appear on the national news?

One video popped up in my recommended recently that said "BREAKING!!!!! 140Kmh horror crash on the Smiler" I had to resist the urge to watch it because I really don't want to give it the satisfaction of a view.

It's one of the things about the general pubic that really pisses me off, after you build a career making rides as safe as they can be only for some idiot who hasn't got a clue to come along and say it's dangerous without even a shred of evidence..... it's insulting.

Sorry, I'm ranting again....

rob666

Hyper Poster
Yup, random headlines for routine stoppages since 1994.
Usually, the ride is stopped for sudden wind gusts or "rule abuse"...usually mobile phones.
Then they can't get it to start again after pressing the magic button.
So they get walked off.
On low news days it makes the press, on most days it doesn't.

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
It's a form of confirmation bias I guess.

There are lots of people out there who live a very cautious life and don't like to go outside their comfort zone.

*Rollercoaster stops on block section*

"And that's why you'll never get me on one of these death traps".

Keeps the queues down for the rest of us 👍

IGwaziSolos

Roller Poster
99% of the (very few) negative reviews on velocicoaster is that it's restraints aren't safe and that people could 'easily fall out'. it's laughable reading 'Will never ride again till the cars are designed better. Wouldn't be surprised if i hear on the news one day a smaller person or even child fell out and was seriously hurt or dead' and 'If it fails or you slide out there’s nothing to keep you from falling to your death. One day the current lap/leg bar will fail and kill somebody.' (yes actual REAL reviews on google) *facepalm*

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
99% of the (very few) negative reviews on velocicoaster is that it's restraints aren't safe and that people could 'easily fall out'. it's laughable reading 'Will never ride again till the cars are designed better. Wouldn't be surprised if i hear on the news one day a smaller person or even child fell out and was seriously hurt or dead' and 'If it fails or you slide out there’s nothing to keep you from falling to your death. One day the current lap/leg bar will fail and kill somebody.' (yes actual REAL reviews on google) *facepalm*
Trouble is, one day the modern OTS lap restraint may well fail. History has proven time and time again that no matter how 'impossible' we can make it for something to fail, no matter how many redundancies we build in to safety mechanisms, they can and still do fail for various reasons.

That will not mean the design is flawed or unsafe, but If you think the GP view on this type of restraint is bad now, just wait until that happens!

JackFish

Mega Poster
Given the recent high winds stoppages of Big One. More and more people are screaming in that arms flailing dramatic GP way. That its NOT SAFE & MUST BE SHUT DOWN!!!!!.

Some even using its re tracking as ammo that its not safe. To the point they are calling on their MP to get the park "investigated".

Some bringing up the Smiler incident and trying to push that in as more evidence that all parks must be shut down or forced into some form of "safe zone"

Even when you put up the ADIPS stuff the laws and regulations and many other things. They just carry on being a drama llama and calling the shots like they know every tiny detail of the industry the systems and the ops guides.

As far as im aware your way safer in a park than driving your car or walking on the street. But hey ho its the dramatic GP flails I guess

( I did go 20 pages deep to see if there was any topics as such and couldn't find one. Sorry if its a duplicate from years back)
Yes, there have been accidents but the way the GP whine and b**** about it for so long and how they will never get on a ride ever again because it stopped on the brakes in the middle of the ride makes me so mad. Like you know nothing about theme parks or coasters and how they work. Like just go back to your average Joe jobs and be thankful that people do know how to work them so you DON´T get hurt when your on them.

Christian

Hyper Poster
Many coasters are in theory lethal. Then they have all sorts of safety features to make them safe but in their purest form they are lethal. Imagine riding a normal B&M looper with no restraints, no block sections, no sensors. You are almost guaranteed to be dead by the end of the ride.

That is partially what attracts the masses to coasters. The notion that they are dangerous. That's probably also why people are scared and scream when riding. Of course any little thing that in slightest way might seem unordinary will only work to enhance that notion of danger. Then, media just exaggerate everything, as it is the sort of news story that always works well if there is nothing better to report on. Nobody cares if a bus breaks down mid route and needs to be evacuated (unless there is something dramatic), but many care if a coster needs to be evacuated on the lift hill.

By the way, why do you think people are scared of riding coaster and some scream when riding?

Foxstar1387

Roller Poster
Not sure if the BS from the media and braindead flailers is worse for the traveling stuff or the perm stuff

Seen it on many posts that the traveling stuff is " Literal Death machines " and how stupid folks are for blindly attending them.
Im sure somewhere theres a sharticle in some **** rag that coukd have a headline like. " I LOST MY TEETH ON RIDE X. NOW I CANT EAT BACON " While the picture shows a mash up of a spinning coaster and an old woodie

Flash Shift

Roller Poster
In the UK I'd say it definitely is more of a thing than perhaps a decade ago. We've had the Smiler crash of course but also the death on Drayton Manor's rapids. While it's ignorant to say these rides are typically unsafe all the time, the fact two major incidents have happened will understandably affect people. Doesn't help that newspapers hype up breakdowns like when the Big One broke down recently and people had to be evacuated off it. Then again in high winds going down those stairs would be genuinely scary I think!

Disco Lumberjack

Roller Poster
Many coasters are in theory lethal. Then they have all sorts of safety features to make them safe but in their purest form they are lethal. Imagine riding a normal B&M looper with no restraints, no block sections, no sensors. You are almost guaranteed to be dead by the end of the ride.

That is partially what attracts the masses to coasters. The notion that they are dangerous. That's probably also why people are scared and scream when riding. Of course any little thing that in slightest way might seem unordinary will only work to enhance that notion of danger. Then, media just exaggerate everything, as it is the sort of news story that always works well if there is nothing better to report on. Nobody cares if a bus breaks down mid route and needs to be evacuated (unless there is something dramatic), but many care if a coster needs to be evacuated on the lift hill.

By the way, why do you think people are scared of riding coaster and some scream when riding?
I definitely make a lot of noise when riding, although mostly it's joyful. The hangtime on the drop on the Swarm though? Gets me scared every time. I don't even know why.