What's new

More violence at Kennywood

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Police are looking for the shooter who opened fire on three people during a fight between two groups of male youths Saturday at Kennywood. The individuals, including a boy, were transported to a hospital for treatment.

A manhunt is underway for a gunman who shot three people at an amusement park in Pennsylvania on Saturday, police said.

Three people, one of them a male juvenile, were hit during an altercation between two groups of male teenagers near the Musik Express ride at the Kennywood amusement park in West Mifflin, an Allegheny County police spokesman said at a news conference.

At least “two shots were fired,” the spokesman said, adding that the male juvenile was stable and that a man was treated and released. The third person was being treated for injuries.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...le-shot-pennsylvania-amusement-park-rcna49307

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Kennywood has beefed up security precautions following the incident. Here's the park's latest statement outlining the details:

For 124 years, it has been Kennywood’s mission to provide the finest in family fun and entertainment. As we continue collaborating with law enforcement on their investigation and get ready to open on Friday, we want to share about new and ongoing security enhancements that will be in place that evening and during future visits:
  • Increased Police Support: In addition to our security team, we are doubling the number of police officers contracted through local law enforcement agencies for each night of Phantom Fall Fest. There will be a more visible police presence at the entrance and throughout the park. Kennywood leadership will be more clearly visible in uniform red jackets, as well.
  • Perimeter Enhancements: Park teams have cut down trees along the fence line bordering Route 837 to improve sight lines. New flood lights and security cameras are being installed for better monitoring, and ongoing security patrols in that area will increase significantly.
  • Chaperone Policy Updates: Guests age 17 and under must be accompanied by an adult at least 21 years of age (with valid ID) to enter the park at all times during Phantom Fall Fest.
  • Park Entrance Policies: With the weapons detection system working as designed since its installation this spring, the park’s prior screening system has been removed to eliminate guest confusion. New signage is being installed to inform guests they are entering a security screening area. Though the new system is able to screen bags and individuals via cameras and metal detection to identify those in need of further inspection, we will implement additional spot checking of bags as a precautionary measure.
    • New Bag Policy: Only bags within the dimensions of 8” x 5” x 1”, as well as medical and diaper bags, are permitted.
  • Facial Coverings: Masks that cover some or all of a person’s face are not permitted to be worn by any guest after 6 p.m. The only exceptions are surgical masks or N95/KN95 masks as recommended as a precaution against COVID-19. If masks of this nature are worn, they must be free from additional coverings including but not limited to fake blood, makeup or coloring.
The Kennywood team keeps those injured Saturday in our thoughts. As we prepare to open this weekend, please know we are fully committed to enhancing our operations to allow guests to enjoy a safe, fun experience. We will continue consulting with law enforcement on additional safety measures to implement. We thank the Allegheny County and West Mifflin Police Departments, our Team Members, and our Guests for the continued support.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Honestly this is shocking to me- i do believe some of it is down to culture though. As a british person, i had not even seen or touched a gun until i went to the states this year, i felt scared even my uncle having it in his car so casually. It seemed so casual and normal for people to have guns, they were everywhere, damn in the UK where i live anything gun related is rare because getting hold of them is a lot harder with regulations.

Nobody i know has a gun here, my uncle has like 15 of them. I am glad Kennywood has metal detectors and had safety measures in place. I guess at the end of the day it was a horrible man who is completely the problem and the only problem, i believe Kennywood can up measures sure, but this could of happened in any American park. I hope everyone involved is okay- i believe the ban on under 18's is a little harsh but i guess the harsher the better after this incident. If only people were not idiots.

Last edited:

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
... this could of happened in any American park...
Yes, it could. However, Kennywood has quite the history, more so than any other U.S. park (thus the thread title).
Also grammar - not your strong point and the lack thereof makes for difficult reading.

rob666

Hyper Poster
As a good old Brit...
Guns just don't exist over here, I share the surprise and concern.
Fists are the most you get in the uk parks, a single knife attack made national headlines.
...and I had no problems with comprehension.
British teeth and grammer eh.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Yes, it could. However, Kennywood has quite the history, more so than any other U.S. park (thus the thread title).
Also grammar - not your strong point and the lack thereof makes for difficult reading.
Well that is a little bit mean and unnecessary- i do generally try to use grammar correctly but maybe that should revised. Maybe you could of DM'ed me letting me know this, maybe that would of been a little more professional :)
I really found this sentence a little bit personal, if i could make a complaint on this to the moderators/admins please could i be DM'ed about this comment.

But yeah my opinion is that its all intent and we should make peace with that. I have seen some violent sights at my home park, and it is horrible. I am guessing Kennywood maybe is attracting the wrong type of audience? I know Thorpe Park here in the UK has a similar problem with violence and rowdy guests, it is not at all ideal though honestly a little hard to tackle without the extreme measures, so what they are doing now does not surprise really.

As a good old Brit...
Guns just don't exist over here, I share the surprise and concern.
Fists are the most you get in the uk parks, a single knife attack made national headlines.
...and I had no problems with comprehension.
British teeth and grammer eh.
Thank you- i am guessing i should go back to GSCE English at this point.
But yeah we don't, i know a knife was smuggled into Thorpe a while back, but that as you said was a BIG deal and they now search the hell out of you.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Thank you- i am guessing i should go back to GSCE English at this point.
But yeah we don't, i know a knife was smuggled into Thorpe a while back, but that as you said was a BIG deal and they now search the hell out of you.
Lol don't worry about it, ECG speaks fluent American whereas we speak English; the language barrier can be quite difficult to overcome. /s

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
True True. Maybe if i also start acting cruel and petty he'd understand
Thanks for cleaning it up, but the original post had nothing to do with my speaking American English compared to British English or that German is my native tongue. It was lack of punctuation and upper-case lettering that made it difficult for me to read.
My statement was also not just based on the one post, but your posts in general.
I also disagree with your statement about my posts being cruel and petty. If you look through the thousands of posts I've made, you'll find that's clearly not the case.

Furiustobaco

Mega Poster
Thanks for cleaning it up, but the original post had nothing to do with my speaking American English compared to British English or that German is my native tongue. It was lack of punctuation and upper-case lettering that made it difficult for me to read.
My statement was also not just based on the one post, but your posts in general.
I also disagree with your statement about my posts being cruel and petty. If you look through the thousands of posts I've made, you'll find that's clearly not the case.

My grammar is not even that bad- I’m sure those reading can understand me. It’s just a little uncalled for
My posts do have grammar, sure the odd one might accidentally not be completely perfect but this is a roller coaster forum, not a English essay. So please stop calling out little things that nobody cares about. You’re supposed to be an admin, please let this go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
My grammar is not even that bad- I’m sure those reading can understand me. It’s just a little uncalled for
My posts do have grammar, sure the odd one might accidentally not be completely perfect but this is a roller coaster forum, not a English essay. So please stop calling out little things that nobody cares about. You’re supposed to be an admin, please let this go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK. I make one comment about your punctuation (sorry I used the term grammar) and you accuse me of being cruel and petty. Then you say let it go when you've made your signature all about it, including insulting me about "filming bad POVs for money" and I'm just supposed to sit here quietly and let it go? Who's actually being petty here?
Anything else to say? You can DM me.