What's new

Biggest misnomers in the theme park industry

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
Eh, it makes sense, it was supposed to be a 'sequel' to Nemesis (which suffers from sequel syndrome) and back when the tunnel effects worked properly it really did give the impression you were flying through the volcano.

Trax

Hyper Poster
Hyperion megacoaster which is actually a Hypercoaster
Pulsar named after a rotating neutron-star, but actually a watercoaster. Typhoon would be way more fitting
Colorado Adventure Is actually located in the Mexican themed area and has nothing to do with Colorado at all
blue fire megacoaster lacks about 6m in height (and a Lifthill) to be considered a Megacoaster

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
To be fair, megacoaster, hypercoaster etc aren't official terms, exemplified by the B&M gigas being their hypercoaster model.

Colorado Adventure was even weirder when it was Michael Jackson's Colorado Adventure however...

TilenB

Strata Poster
Maybe not a complete misnomer as it is fast, but Speed at Energylandia. When I think of a water coaster, its speed isn't the defining characteristic I'd choose to name it after.
Its sister ride in Mirabilandia is an even worse example. You'd think you're getting a ride with a 90° drop with Divertical, yet it's probably the shallowest drop for a ride of its size. I feel that whoever named it thought they were getting something like Drenched, ordered the wrong thing from the catalogue, but still went with the originally intended name.

spicy

Giga Poster
Kind of a misnomer but more of a generic hate is when a park gets an IP and just names it - (Insert IP here) : The Ride.

Batman The Ride
Saw The Ride
Heidi The Ride
Superman The Ride
Speed The Ride

It's just so lazy and an unoriginal way to incorporate the IP into the name. For example as bad as Mandrill Mayhem is at least it's original and they didn't just name it Jumanji The Ride.

Heth

Mega Poster
Kind of a misnomer but more of a generic hate is when a park gets an IP and just names it - (Insert IP here) : The Ride.

Batman The Ride
Saw The Ride
Heidi The Ride
Superman The Ride
Speed The Ride

It's just so lazy and an unoriginal way to incorporate the IP into the name. For example as bad as Mandrill Mayhem is at least it's original and they didn't just name it Jumanji The Ride.

I'd argue that most of those aren't misnomer as they ARE themed to their respective subjects.

However Batman THE Ride might be the exception as the 'the' implies it is the only Batman ride, when there are actually many.

redheadedRobin

Mega Poster
I'd argue that most of those aren't misnomer as they ARE themed to their respective subjects.

However Batman THE Ride might be the exception as the 'the' implies it is the only Batman ride, when there are actually many.

They should change their names tbh. Here are some ideas:

Batman: The Ride
Batman: The Ride 2: Electric Bogaloo
Batman: The Ride: Oh Hell No!
Batman: The Ride vol. IV
Batman: The Ride (again)
The Last Batman: The Ride: It's About Time

Boodangy

Mega Poster
Enthusiasts...Large numbers of them do not seem very enthusiastic at all.
Top pick must be Matt's in the opening post...Icon...it just isn't.
I unironically stopped dreaming of being able to visit theme parks constantly because sometimes it seems like when people ride coasters every day it's not fun anymore and they just start analyzing how elements were not as fun as their #1

Tonkso

Hyper Poster
The trick is to take each ride individually. Focus on its individual strengths and enjoy it for what it is.

I do get your point though, and I'm getting to that with escape rooms. I've done so many that a bad room is now really bad.