What's new

Flamingo Land | Sik | Intamin 10 Inversion Coaster | 2022

Trax

Hyper Poster
Icon was ~16,5 £ and a) needed more ground to be moved b) is a custom layout c) a brand new ride. I highly doubt that Flamingo Land will get a used Intamin 10 Inverter for 20% more.
Maybe the overall investment for the 2020 season is meant to be that high, but I can't imagine that number just for the Ride + Theming alone. And I'd be wondering if they start theming their rides, when I was there 2019 they were nearly all bare.

Last edited:

TheMaverick

Roller Poster
Is the £20m figure just for this ride though? I accept there are a lot of costs involved with concrete disposal and stuff (site clearing is expensive stuff), but is this not a total park investment? It's not unlikely that the assets beyond the park are being worked on too, or has the figure been mixed up with the Flamingoland Coast project?

The £20m figure was used when they were only talking about the coaster. The coast project was never fully approved so I doubt the cost of the project would make it into the public knowledge. These were two completely different projects by the same company and it would be extremely careless to mix this up. Though i remember reading recently the Scarborough council denied the project anyway. So whatever money they would have spent on it will either go into the park or they'll try for a different site.

Dar

Hyper Poster
Had a quick look in today on the way past, they reopened yesterday! Not sure when they decided or announced it, but they're open with the usual reservations and distancing, but I couldn't see a mention of masks.

The rollercoasters all seemed to be open, though with social distancing they've improved dispatches to every 10 minutes on kumali ;)

Didn't see cliffhanger go, but we were only there for 20 minutes.

Inversion looks really cool, I'm a big fan of the box supports! Velocity looks good with the new red track, not sure about the silver supports though, makes it look kinda cheap.

Pierre

Strata Poster
Park map has been updated confirming 2021 opening for this coaster. The park map also has the coaster in grey (as per planning permission) with Union Jacks on the trains...

I know maps are usually illustrative purposes only etc but colours and stuff are usually accurate...

Can’t be bothered screenshotting, here’s the link

Edit: just spotted tunnels on the entrance/exit of the cobra rolls too?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Oh, don't worry about that. Flamingo Land will never be bothered to run 2 trains, that if they have actually bought 2.

Fleetwood_Mack

Mega Poster
Union Jack trains? How deliciously tacky.

The Brexit Coaster, sponsored by Nigel Farage. Ribbon cutting by Katie Hopkins who will give a heartfelt speech about how hard straight white people have had it recently. Ride soundtrack by Morrissey. Theming elements include actors performing a continual mass brawl outside a Wetherspoons as well as roaming the queue telling guests to "**** off home" and occasionally pelting them with Greggs sausage rolls.

Leon

Roller Poster

The Brexit Coaster, sponsored by Nigel Farage. Ribbon cutting by Katie Hopkins who will give a heartfelt speech about how hard straight white people have had it recently. Ride soundtrack by Morrissey. Theming elements include actors performing a continual mass brawl outside a Wetherspoons as well as roaming the queue telling guests to "**** off home" and occasionally pelting them with Greggs sausage rolls.
It flamingo land what did you expect ?? it hands down the worse park in the uk.

FogZog

Roller Poster

Where’s your patriotism? I Love the trains ??

Matt N

CF Legend
How come it only seems to be the UK and the USA where parks put their country’s flag on roller coaster trains, because loads of parks do it in America, while the Big One also does it in the UK?

Maybe they’re naming it something quite British. Great British Scream Machine? Patriot? Union Jack Coaster?

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
How come it only seems to be the UK and the USA where parks put their country’s flag on roller coaster trains, because loads of parks do it in America, while the Big One also does it in the UK?
Because while there's nothing wrong with some national pride, they are among the few countries to take it to extreme unhealthy tacky levels. Somewhat reflected in the poor current state of their politics too I'd say.

Harry347

Roller Poster

The big one
1597833619465.png

bob_3_

Giga Poster

Maybe they’re naming it something quite British. Great British Scream Machine? Patriot? Union Jack Coaster?

Alot of counties find plastering your flag over everything as quite vulgar and tacky, especially in countries like Germany where any hint towards nationalism can be incredibly distasteful. Even here in the UK the St George cross flag being plastered everywhere is associated with xenophobia, there's a fine line between patriotism and nationalism.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Alot of counties find plastering your flag over everything as quite vulgar and tacky, especially in countries like Germany where any hint towards nationalism can be incredibly distasteful. Even here in the UK the St George cross flag being plastered everywhere is associated with xenophobia, there's a fine line between patriotism and nationalism.
Another thing may be that some countries have pretty strict laws for what you can actually do with the flag. In Norway, the pattern of the flag is protected by law, and there are certain stipulations that say it must always be presented as a full rectangle, may not be hung without a pole (unless it's over a coffin at a funeral), may not ever touch the ground or be stepped on, and so forth. As a result, it's kind of limited what you can do to the flag, and putting it on a coaster is completely out of the question. Not sure how strict the rules are in other countries, but it could be considered a little too tacky to just plaster it up as decoration anyway.